Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hows your F150 holding up?

isellacuras

On 8/3/2017 at 10:26 PM, surfdude said:

Had an 09 Chevy. Hit a pothole on a hunting trip an d the side airbags deployed. It had warranty left and they wouldn't cover it. Ended up costing 3500$. All my trucks were Chevy. Then I bought an 11 Raptor and all our diesels from Ford. The Chevy dealer didn't care either. 

Anecdotal.... but I don't ever see myself owing a GM.  I had a terrible experience... both in gutter level QAQC as well as 3 dealerships and $1500 spent and the hack techs could not figure out an overheat issue on a 5.3L.

Go through one of these train wrecks... all of a sudden QAQC and service starts to top your priority list.

Anyone have an issue with the paint on the FX4 20" rims? 

Two rims have growing paint defects, both on forward side of wheel (if moving forward)

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

Edited by Bozboat
1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Two rims have growing paint defects, both on forward side of wheel (if moving forward)

Both mine and my dads one at 40k and the other ant 130k are fine and have those same wheels. one of mine even has a little scrape on it and doesn't peel around it. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue later. What year is yours?

2 hours ago, robbennett said:

Both mine and my dads one at 40k and the other ant 130k are fine and have those same wheels. one of mine even has a little scrape on it and doesn't peel around it. Hopefully this doesn't become an issue later. What year is yours?

2012 85k

On 8/6/2017 at 5:12 PM, Bozboat said:

IMG_0492.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

Pretty easy fix for a wheel repair guy. My guess would be about 200-250 to fix all four. At least that's what my guy would charge. Could do it while you wait. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! After months of problems, Ford is gonna put a new transmission in my truck. I just can't believe how great there customer service is!! Ford customer service never did call me back after they talked to me,several weeks ago!

Edited by surfdude
  • 1 year later...
On 6/22/2017 at 6:14 AM, NHolladay said:

I had a rod bearing letting loose on a 2014 3.5 EB, 70,000k miles.  Ford was great took it back swapped me for a 2017 Lariat, love the new gen2 3.5 EB and the 10 speed trans. Restarted my payments with no additional cash to the deal.  It was the deal of a lifetime.  Only deal with the GM.  Trust me things get do e.  A good reputation is what they want.

Hey guys, as the very first post the OP said - I too am looking for an F150 and lots of threads on it. I just picked this one b/c I am in the same boat, a little different requirements though. First off@NHolladay can you please elaborate on gen 2 3.5? Is that tied to the 10 speed e.g.  3.5 with 10 speed is defacto gen 2 or did gen 2 come out earlier and have the 6 speeds, what year? TIA.

We have a '08 VTX with tandem trailer, that is the heaviest thing I am going to be towing.  We live in Washington so towing up passes is a regular thing also. 

I have read 2018 V8s added a cylinder coating and it is causing oil consumption issues that are so bad Ford is replacing qualifying motors with a replacement long block. So, 2017s don't have this issue b/c the cyclinder coating was new in 2018 so I have sort of ruled out 2018 v8s. 

Looking at Screw 4x4's with either 5.5. or 6.5 bed in either the 3.5 or v8. I would like to get the 10 speed as I hear /read here it is super sweet for towing but it's not a hard requirement as this is going to be a 2nd rig for towing and moto, probably on the order of 5-8k miles/year. 

I am looking for sub 40k miles, ideally $30k or less 4x4. Bonus is level kit and after-market wheels already on.  Tow and/or (can't recall the next tow package up - super tow?) but I don't necessarily want go to the shortest diff as a lot of the miles are going to be freeway with just a 250lb moto in the back. This generally lands in the "best value" priced XLTs.

Thoughts? 3.5 EB vs v8,  6 speed vs. 10 speed, good years/bad years (late model).

The other thing that is interesting is I can go older - say 2012 or 13 and find lower mileage  Lariats and King Ranches etc. that are pretty decked out but just older. Are these gen 1 3.5 ec should I stay away from these.

Thanks all,  more F150 discussion!

I can’t answer all your questions but will say I am still rocking my 2012 3.5 Lariat and it would be perfect for the needs you describe.  I wouldn’t shy away from an older one.   80,000 miles on mine and the only engine related issue was a leak in the coolant system.   

7 hours ago, MalibuTime said:

Thoughts? 3.5 EB vs v8,  6 speed vs. 10 speed, good years/bad years (late model).

From my experiences (2015 F150 3.5 EB vs 2011 Yukon 6.2Lt V8), towing the exact same boat, the 3.5EB was the better towing engine.  Sorry no Ford V8 towing experience.  My tows are pretty flat, but the EB stands out.  The V8 was perfectly fine, the EB was just better. 

The 2015 F150 had the 6-speed and my current rig, 2019 Raptor, has the 10-speed.  I prefer the 10-speed, but with the H.O. EB, it might not be a good comparison.  The 10-speed does not hunt for gears like I thought it would.  The 6-speed was solid, but the 10-speed is smoother.

Whichever way you go, get the max tow package.

• Like 2

I have almost 150k on my 2012 5.0 L...has been a great truck so far.  I have only done general maint items for the most part.  I did recently have a water pump go out which i replaced myself...easy swap and new one was about 100 bucks.  Other than that I have had no issues.  I love the 5.0 engine...pulls well and sounds good .  :)   Time will tell I guess.  My last truck was a 2001 Tundra and I put 280k trouble free miles on it.  I plan on keeping the F150 as long as possible so hopefully it will make it another 100k

FWIW I have a 14 3.5 XLT with tow (but not max tow) and it does fine pulling our t22 over the sierras. 3.31 rear end / 6 speed. 80k on the clock. I know the pimped our trim levels are nice (and I definitely wanted one when I was looking) but the cloth has really grown on me. It doesn’t get as cold in the winter or as hot in the summer and I don’t feel bad when I jump on the seats with wet trunks at the boat ramp. 

Mileage sucks when towing especially over 65 (lucky to get 9mpg in variable terrain at 70).  But 36 gal tank really helps on that end. 

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2

I’m an ‘16 XLT with the 2.7, super satisfied but I’m only pulling an a20,  sane bad gas mileage above 65 but not quite as bad as the 3.5

one thing I learned from a post here was locking out 6 in the hills (I didn’t do it) would be smart so that it doesn’t go full twin turbo up a long hill in 6

i also went with the 87 in long run instead of premium as manual states,  

i got a strong dash vibration /steering wheel vibration up hills in 6 from the turbos , not sure if that was the 87 or failure to lock out 6 or both 

next time I plan on running 87 again  and lock out 6,  if it still does it , it won’t I’m pretty sure because of the higher rpm , then I’ll try 93 snd then try 93 and locking out 6

either way the gas pedal you have in reserve with the 2.7 when accelerating  from 68/70 to 78 to pass is about a third,   Lots of power in reserve ,  in 3rd or 4th if it hunts down that far to pass it’s a bull!

i also got tired of pedal feathering and just put the cruise on and let this thing eat,  it was awesome to watch and much easier trip 

Edited by granddaddy55

2017 F150 5.0 Six speed.  59,500 miles

The day before vacation,  transmission got stuck in 3rd, limped into my dealer in Limp Mode.  Some type of wiring harness in the transmission fritzed.  Covered by Factory Warranty. 

92k on my '15 Ecoboost Lariat SCrew.  Zero (knock on wood) mechanical issues to this point with drivetrain.  Only issues I had in the first 91k were had to have a seat skin changed out under warranty for premature wear.  Now having same issue on drivers seat, but that's more expected at this mileage.

With that being said, it's been a rough 2 weeks.  Panoramic roof got stuck open on a cracked rail last week, $800 to repair.  Got it back, went about 10 miles and check engine light came on.  Code came back as O2 Sensor, but light then went back off the next day and hasn't come on in about 600 miles I have driven since.

Trying to wait out the next gen truck in a few years, but at 25-30k a year, not sure I'll get there.  If not, I may be tempted by the new Ram 2500 MegaCab :drool:

just curious about what kind of mileage all of you are getting with F150 2.7 EB?  Say mixed driving, crew cab, 4x4. More country and highway then city...thx   

On 8/20/2019 at 11:34 PM, Arctic Slalom said:

just curious about what kind of mileage all of you are getting with F150 2.7 EB?  Say mixed driving, crew cab, 4x4. More country and highway then city...thx   

I'm on my 2nd F150 w/ the 2.7 (2016, 2019) and I'd say I average 19-20mpg with similar driving, most likely more city stop and go being that I don't live near the country and hwy trips are usually 15miles or less to get where I'm going.  I had a 5.0 in my 2014 which got similar mpg I believe in same conditions. 

On 8/20/2019 at 9:34 PM, Arctic Slalom said:

I was around 19-21mpg around town.  21-24 highway depending on conditions.  Great mileage and awesome power.  Mine was an extended cab 4x4 XLT.

Loved the truck, but after a transmission replacement/rebuild at 40k miles that took 1.5 months to complete I traded it.  Wasn't actually a big issue - an aux transmission pump failed.  When the tech went to remove it he damaged the transmission casing which resulted in the full rebuild.  Just didn't want a virtually new truck with a rebuilt transmission.  If they'd replaced it I would have been fine, but a rebuild left me having to put more trust in the technician than I was comfortable with.

Edited by Pra4sno