Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hows your F150 holding up?

isellacuras

I know, I know, there's a ton of threads about F150's.  I started to read through some of them but sifting through the irrelevant (to me) info to get small bits, proved to be tedious.   I am in need of a truck and looking for a less expensive alternative to new.  I have found a 2012 FX4 with 75000 miles that is in good shape and the price point works.  I have been considering a diesel but just not sure I want a diesel for a DD even though I have a very short work commute and currently have a commuter that I plan to get rid of.   I am towing a 2012 VLX and have felt that my 2001 1500 Tahoe did just fine pulling it wherever we went with it so I'm sure the F150 will do even better, regardless of gears, max tow pack, WDH yada yada yada.  So how are these things holding up in the long haul?  Anything that I should specifically look for?  The truck is at a friends dealership and I know he doesn't sell junk so without looking at it (yet), I am pretty certain that it will fit my quality check. Its black which I swore I would never have another black car twice (unless it was like IXFE's old ride) but my boat is black so its only fitting that I consider a black tow rig.  Thanks in advance.

3.5L Ecco boost.  Not sure what gears or if it has the max tow package but like I said above, not really sure it matters to me.  Yeah, I don't really need a diesel.  Just wanted a big bad truck. 

I traded in a 2013 EB in February with 105k; it had zero warranty visits and the only repair since new was a blow-off valve at 95k. I would not hesitate one you are looking at if it checks out, Good Luck!

How wide spread is the cam chain tensioner issue? Those things are plastic so I assume the higher the mileage the greater the risk of it going south.

I have a 2012 EB.  It has been solid but I am just approaching 60,000 miles.  IWEs have been replaced several times and were my biggest issue.  Developed a stutter at WOT around 50,000 miles, but new plugs fixed that.  Zero issues with the engine/drivetrain otherwise, although I will say I am just starting to notice a bit of a surging idle at times.  I assume some carbon buildup or something along those lines but it is still so minor, I haven't cared to chase it down at all.  

I'm at 135k+ on my 2013. I've only replaced the IWE's. Mechanically sound. I put 3k+ a month on it. Going to keep it for another 6-9 months and trade it in. It's as quiet on the inside as the day I bought it. No squeaks, rattles, or wind noises. I will be buying another. I know a guy who, last I checked, had 210k+ on his 2013 EB. No mechanical issues either. It is important to change plugs every 60k. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 5.0 in my   '12 FX4, 95k.  Different engine I know but the truck has been very reliable with few issues.  Previous truck was an 01 Tundra with about 260k trouble free miles so was concerned about that.  I had a radiator to thermostat hose fitting leak that cropped up last year...out of warranty...fixed it myself.  Also had front right wheel bearing/hub assembly fail this past fall.  Fixed that too....may have possibly caused that issue myself due to running 1.25inch wheel spacers.  Other than that truck has been good...just regular maintenance.  Rides very smooth and as mentioned, very quiet with no rattles, squeaks etc which is not bad for a 5 year old vehicle.

Get it. It's a great truck and you shouldn't have any major issues if it's mostly stock and cared for. 120k on mine and the only thing that's been done is preventative maintenance, tires and a brake master cylinder under recall. I know multiple people in the 150-250k range with that powertrain with little or no problems. 

I don't have many miles, but it pulled the boat since day one and this is my 1st non V8 GM trans am 5.7 or Ram 5,9 as well as Indmar/Gm 5.7 in boat that all burned oil, not a drop after 8000+ miles in the little Ford 2.7 v6, have 20 % left on oil but since I got a 40$ coupon for synthetic blend from dealership including tire rotation and multi point 7500 mile check up, going to change it now cause it's a little darker than I would like though I'm sure Ford knows what their doing with the 10000 mile intervals 

i went dark side with my 1st Ford and I'm never going back, want my wife to get the little 2.4 4 cylinder eco mustang but she laughed at me coming from the TA convertible, you can't get the heated seats like my power XLT in the non premium eco, but you can get that little hard top for under 23000

Edited by granddaddy55

I just sold my 2011 150 with 82000.  5.0, off road package, xlt super cab.  I did have a couple issues.  The major issue was I had the electric steering rack fail just out of warranty.  As I recall the part was $1400, but Ford picked up half of that and the dealer split half the remainder with me.  I also had an oil pressure sensor fail around 70k, worst part was it took the dealer 3 hours on the computer to diagnose.  Total was about $600.  

Other than that was just wear items.  I had to do pads and rotors at 40k.  The factory tires were terrible and only made it to 24k, replaced with wrangler dura-tracs that were about done when I sold the truck.  

The interior held up really quite well, the seats were still good, no electronics issues.  It was a good truck that I beat on pretty hard.  I would have kept it but no was a third car seat was going to fit.

Still hunting for the right truck.  I have narrowed it down to an F150EB.  I just missed a 2013 that was a loaded FX4 with leveling kit and 20" wheels and MT tires that looked great but had 73000 miles.  I am now in pursuit of a 2014 with 23000 miles about 500 miles away.  Also a loaded Fx4 but stock wheels and suspension and more money.  Missed truck was black which I prefer.  The 2014 I'm working on now is charcoal gray which is a distant 2nd choice.  I am trying to stay in the $30k range but as with all big purchases, I tend to experience budget creep.

On 5/18/2017 at 3:55 PM, Falko said:

How wide spread is the cam chain tensioner issue? Those things are plastic so I assume the higher the mileage the greater the risk of it going south.

Ours went south at 61,900 miles on 2011 2WD XLT - Ford refused to good faith even though the TSB was referenced. I sold the truck to the dealer on the spot.

7 minutes ago, That Guy said:

^^^^ Nice 1st post! :whistle:

Ummm - OK ?  So I'm a fairly new member and replied to a question that I have an answer to - perhaps some day I'll be as special as you and have 859 posts on an internet forum and be able to show everyone my mad emoji skills.

Or maybe I should just join a bunch of forums and never ever post anything because someone will take issue with the first post I make.

• Like 2

WOOHOO - My reputation is equal to my post count!! At least until I hit the Submit Reply button on this one.

All joking aside I've lurked around here for a while - mainly looking for info, researching  etc.  We have been boat-less for about 2 years (previous boat was a Cobalt) and are ready to jump back into the boating world. Malibu, Axis or (GASP) Mastercraft are all on our current list of possibilities.

Malibu 25LSV, Axis A24 or MC X23 or the main contenders right now.

Purchase will be sometime late this winter most likely (Atlanta boat show perhaps) and since we probably won't be able to test drive boats around then - we're learning what we can now.

Wasn't my intention to come across as bashing the EcoBoost motors - ours was great right up until it threw the timing chain codes. They don't ALL have the issue - but the numbers are high enough that Ford has issued a TSB on it.

Edited by lmm1967
Just now, JasonK said:

LMM- What engine was in your 2011?

Ecoboost?

Was it an interference designed engine?

It was the 3.5l ecoboost - the timing chain didn't break or stretch to the point that it could cause any interference issues.  The ECM detected the timing moving around (when it wasn't supposed to be) and threw 2 codes - don't remember them off top of my head.  The truck will go into limp mode if it gets bad enough - highly unlikely that there could be catastrophic failure.