Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 Wakesetter VLX Review

Trentster

DSC00001.jpg

Well, I just got back from Idaho Boardstock. I spent the entire day pulling contest riders behind a new 2007 Wakesetter VLX! I really liked the boat a lot!

The boat is not much different than the 2006 VLX. Other than the new dash and the two piece rear hatch, I couldn't tell the difference. The boat I drove was equipped with the new Monsoon 340 with the ETX Cats. Visually the engine has more flash with the addition of the billet water pump pulley from the Hammerhead and the cats. The boat drives the same... I didn't notice any loss in power with the cats. FYI, the boat had the 1235 Acme on it. Also the cats and the silent tip exhaust are REAL quiet.

I liked the two piece hatch, but there was no engine tray. I was told a while back that they are on backorder, and then later heard that the cat motor will not have it because of clearance issues. I don't know which, but I will try to find out. I hope mine comes with one.

The MOST impressive part of the boat was the NEW STEREO! I have never really like the stereos from the factory, but this one was AWESOME! This boat had the new Sony CD with the removeable 1GB MP3 faceplate, two Rockford amps, six Rockford speakers, and a Rockford sub. What a clean install! This is the first time that I can remember that it really looked clean and professional like you just spent some bucks at a stereo shop! The first amp was four channel for the cabin speakers. I think the pair in the bow were off of the deck. The second was a mono amp for the sub. The sub was contolled by a knob neatly mounted to the right side of the steering wheel under the dash. At first I tried to conrol the bass through the head unit sub control with little or no effect. After driving for two hours I finally found the seperate sub control, which I liked a lot better. This stereo ROCKED!!! The sound was really clean!

This boat did not have a power wedge or a bow tank. Instead it had the new manual wedge, and we threw a 350 pound sac in the front. The new manual wedge worked real good! I was curious because it only locked in the up position. In the down position the movement of the boat keeps it down. The advantage here I believe was the turn. I was running in a small tournanment lake and the wedge seemed to have less effect when I turned sharp. My 2005 V-Ride would sometimes come off plane with the wedge 23 in a sharp turn. Overall use was a lot easier. It went up and down real smooth, and the pins to release it required a lot less muscle.

DSC00002.jpg

The look of the new billet malibu emblems on the sides of the boat are really cool. They get noticed!!! I am concerned though that they are not glued on. Instead they are screwed on into the fiberglass with two screws. The side of the boat is not completely flat, and there are small gaps where hard water and gunk could accumulate. I would also be concerned that it you smacked the dock, they could be ripped right out of the fiberglass. I think a soultion would be to have them glued AND screwed into the boat.

Anyways- I am very excited to get my hands on my own 2007 VLX in a little over a week.

Trentster Thumbup.gif

Edited by Trentster
The look of the new billet malibu emblems on the sides of the boat are really cool. They get noticed!!! I am concerned though that they are not glued on. Instead they are screwed on into the fiberglass with two screws. The side of the boat is not completely flat, and there are small gaps where hard water and gunk could accumulate. I would also be concerned that it you smacked the dock, they could be ripped right out of the fiberglass. I think a soultion would be to have them glued AND screwed into the boat.

Anyways- I am very excited to get my hands on my own 2007 VLX in a little over a week.

Trentster Thumbup.gif

Hi Trent,

Nice review of the 07 VLX I bet you can't wait to get your hands on yours Drool.gif

Anyway, on a 07 23 LSV that we saw at NW WOW, the billet Malibu emblems (I was told by the Madras Marine) are both screwed in and have an adhesive on them. Cuz in looking at it, if the emblem didn't have and adhesive on it would have been more more gap of the boat.

Anyway, yes those emblems are cool. If anyone wants to part with there's for a few days I can copy it and get some made up for the crew Whistling.gif