Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Putting the boat back on the trailer

hyperlitenerd

I used to the master of putting the boat on the trailer but this season I always end up cockeyed in the trailer.

So what do you guys/gals do to help you get the boat lined up perfectly? Any tips to help me get my groove back?

I've got two key tricks

1) Make sure the trailer isn't in too deep... having it a little shallow, will help the bow get into the bunks, vs going between the guide posts, then over the fenders. I have the trailer set so I can see the top of both bunks just poking out of the water (and dip them all the way in first, so they're wet)

*using liquid rollers makes this work great, the boat just slides up, all lined up on the bunks*

2) Make sure you aren't going too fast, and correct the speed early! If you slow down 60 or 70' out, then you can just bump it in and out of gear as you near the trailer, keeping the boat going straight. Slowing down by using reverse near the trailer only makes you go sideways. You should learn to control the speed w/out using reverse.

I've got two key tricks

1) Make sure the trailer isn't in too deep... having it a little shallow, will help the bow get into the bunks, vs going between the guide posts, then over the fenders. I have the trailer set so I can see the top of both bunks just poking out of the water (and dip them all the way in first, so they're wet)

*using liquid rollers makes this work great, the boat just slides up, all lined up on the bunks*

2) Make sure you aren't going too fast, and correct the speed early! If you slow down 60 or 70' out, then you can just bump it in and out of gear as you near the trailer, keeping the boat going straight. Slowing down by using reverse near the trailer only makes you go sideways. You should learn to control the speed w/out using reverse.

SacRiverRat hit the nail on the head. My wife puts the boat on the trailer after I back it in and she hits it perfect every time. I leave the trailer a little shallow and the boat centers itself. She also has learned to come in as slow as possible depending on the wind and current. We can be in and out of the ramp in only a few minutes.

pretend you're a space-shuttle pilot, docking it to [something]

basically, it drifts onto the trailer... with little "bursts" of directional thrusts if needed.

don't go in under power, unless you're in a strong current

I try and line up a ways out, and get off the throtle and tap for changes in steering. I will have dad have the trailer out of the water a little bit and see if that'll help me straighten out.

I'm having issues as well. Just bent the tips of my prop this weekend on the trailer. The water was dead calm, and I swear I was lined up perfect. Something knocked me off center and the prop hit the prop guard on the trailer. Mad.gif

I'm having issues as well. Just bent the tips of my prop this weekend on the trailer. The water was dead calm, and I swear I was lined up perfect. Something knocked me off center and the prop hit the prop guard on the trailer. Mad.gif

Sounds like the trailer wasn't in deep enough.

opps my bad. withdraw that comment. im talking of our eazy tow trailers here in aus.

i wouldnt have a clue about your extremes or whatever else you have.

I had the same thing happen to me. So it is possible.

What happens to me alot is I'll hit the pole on one side, and that pushes me side ways on the trailer. I think having the trailer higher up the ramp might help with that. We'll see next time I go out.

I expect the "right" depth for the trailer is a little different for everybody. I put mine in so the tires just barely submerge - a little less if it is a really steep ramp and a little deeper on a shallow ramp. Then the trick is to idle on just bumping the shift in and out of gear. All of that is great if there is no wind. If there is a wind then I usually end up bouncing off the guideposts but, if you are going slow enough, that is no big problem. The biggest problem I see people having when maneuvring boats is too much throttle. Any time you go past idle you are looking for trouble. Once I'm square on the bunks I have to use the throttle to push against the front stops but until that time I don't use anything more than idle.

opps my bad. withdraw that comment. im talking of our eazy tow trailers here in aus.

i wouldnt have a clue about your extremes or whatever else you have.

Easytow trailers - same here Toby. Not too deep and use the beds to line up the hull by nudging on the throttle. You would be nuts to enter the arena under throttle unless it was in a howling cross wind or strong current.

Once again, silicon on the carpet beds makes it all easy.

Incidentally - the beds are submerged at the back of the trailer only and clearly visible for lining up the front half otherwise you would need sonar to find it!