Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What length of barefoot line should I get?

gonorth

I'm picking up a new spectra multi section line for wakeboarding this week and decided to get another one piece line just for footing as i am expecting that my daughter will be ready for long line soon. So, first is Spectra a good line for footing? Second, I am having it custom made by Lake Elmo Sports so I can get whatever length I want. What do you suggest for an RLX? I am guessing at least 80' probably more like 90. (our handle section adds 5')

In case it matters, she is 150# and will probably run at 35-37.

Edited by GONORTH

I would get a 90' line, with take offs at 80 and 70. If she's just cruzin, it's nice the further back you are. But if she starts using some shoe skis at a slower speed, you'd want to shorten it up some. Similarly, once she wake slaloms more and more, the rope should come in.

I agree, for beginners a longer line. 90ft + the 5 foot handle is good enough.

if you want to multi purpose you could buy a 40ft or 50ft rope and have 4 or 5 10foot take offs or maybe a 50foot rope with 20foot take off and 2 10foot take offs. Then you can use it for both sports!

Oops, I didn't mean Spectra I meant 1/4" TAC line. A 90' piece of that with two take offs is $40 versus $70 and I don't think we need the spectra, at least not yet.

As far as multi use. We already have a TAC line that is, I think 60' + two 5' + four 10' take offs. So, we have the shorter end of the spectrom covered. I am just thinking it would be nice to have a seperate line for footing and not have to worry about this, that, and other combinations of take offs when switching over.

Is TAC a good line? This is exactly the same TAC line that BI uses. It seems good so far, just a little stiff coiling it up and handling it on the boat but I think that will improve as it gets broken in.

Mlang, thanks for the link to BC, I keep finding more neat stuff on their web site all the time.

Edited by GONORTH
For footing...

Slalom rope = bad

TAC line = better

Spectra = best

Now I am really geting confused about if the line I already have is Spectra or TAC. I am going to have to look at the reciept (if I have it) to see what it is. Unfortunately Lake Elmo Sports is out of Spectra right now so if I want spectra I am gonna have to order elsewhere, wait, or go with their 16 strand TAC that is suposed to be much less stretch than their cheaper TAC.

For footing...

Slalom rope = bad

TAC line = better

Spectra = best

Now I am really geting confused about if the line I already have is Spectra or TAC. I am going to have to look at the reciept (if I have it) to see what it is. Unfortunately Lake Elmo Sports is out of Spectra right now so if I want spectra I am gonna have to order elsewhere, wait, or go with their 16 strand TAC that is suposed to be much less stretch than their cheaper TAC.

The BI TAC line is a type of nylon low stretch rope I believe, but not spectra. It looks just like poly-E but is not quite as stretchy and probably lighter. Its half the price of spectra, but IMO get 1 spectra rope for both sports. you can have the barefoot handle attached to a few take offs and just swap the wake handle for the footing handle with the extra length. spectra is worth the extra $$$.

I checked last nite, I still had the package my new line came in. It is Spectra Fusion. (BI-W917) Total 70' with five 5' take offs that don't come apart. Plus two 10' take offs that I bought seperately. I thought that the place I bought it from was makeing me a replacement for the 70' line with exactly the same rope stock but with take offs that do come apart. (I don't want extra line laying in the boat when hooked to a trick release, and I like take offs in different colors from the mainline) But when I talked to them yesterday morning they said they are out of stock on bulk Spectra and my replacement was this higher grade TAC line. Guess I will tell them to go ahead and sell that TAC line and I will just use what I have till they get spectra in stock and then exchange it and decide if I really want/need a second line.

Does this Lake Elmo Sports have a web address and what are there prices like?

www.lakeelmosports.com

Their prices are pretty much the same as all the other big online discount places. They will also match anyones prices, or at least they did for me.

They bought out the whole equipment line from The Footers Edge training school, it is called "The Barefoot Company" but that is only one of many lines they carry.

They are located in a southern suburb of Minneapolis/StPaul Minnesota.