Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Really Scarry

Birm

One incident that stills burns me up happened a few days ago in one of the waterways. We were out wakesurfing and getting ready to change riders when a Nautique pulling a guy on a Sky Ski came up behind us. The boat came closer to us than I felt comfortable with, but then the guy on the foil started heading right for our rider in the water and the back of our boat. He came within 10 to 15 feet and then popped up and did a flip over our rider.

Yep, there are a few of those types running around the Delta. A couple of weeks ago we had a Mastercraft come up behind us while we were putting a boarder in the water. They were surfing, and we thought would pass us on the port side as there was a ton of room that way. However, they proceeded to pass us on the right side about 10 feet from our boat while they were throwing a pretty big surf wake. Mad.gif Not too cool when you are floating with the engine off...rolled the 23' LSV pretty good. Then they proceeded to stop surfing about 25 yards directly in front of us, meaning we had to drag our boarder around them before pulling him up. Needless to say a couple of words were exchanged.

I can understand much better how this could happen in the Delta.

One incident that stills burns me up happened a few days ago in one of the waterways. We were out wakesurfing and getting ready to change riders when a Nautique pulling a guy on a Sky Ski came up behind us. The boat came closer to us than I felt comfortable with, but then the guy on the foil started heading right for our rider in the water and the back of our boat. He came within 10 to 15 feet and then popped up and did a flip over our rider. What an idiot. I don't care how good you are. It only takes a small error and we would have had a foil blade cutting through our crew. I'm still pissed at the danger he put us in.

Fortunately, we had a positive experience in the Delta. We mostly just saw bass boats running around.

Wow, I give you lots of credit for holding your cool. :) I think I would have lost it.

growing up we went out in rivers at times and it can get tight. I've seen mud sprays off a knee board because it was so shallow. My favorite was off a hard cut on a ski I pulled the fin out and went down rolling head over heals. I came up laughing, but grandma was in the boat and thought I was screaming. I proceded to stand up in knee deep water and walked back to the boat. Man was I young and stupid. We moved spots after that. Don't do river trips anymore, don't like the salt on the boat.

That might have been one good example for use of a quick release. If everyone knows if they hot dog it into an unsafe situation either the driver is gonna stop or the spotter is gonna pull their plug.

Just glad it wasn't any too serious and everyone learned something from it.

We sometimes barefoot about 20 feet from the shore because that is were the butter is on windy days, but in reality it is illegal (in Canada anyways...). In order to prevent shore erosion to protect some bird species nests, such as loons, it is the law in Canada that when driving a boat parrallel to the shoreline in a distance less then 150 feet, you must be driving slowly enough not to produce a wake. Basically refered to as a no wake zone. We try to respect that as much as possible, but when you haven't seen a patch of calm water in days, it is very hard to resist... but after reading your story, I think it will help us.

We sometimes barefoot about 20 feet from the shore because that is were the butter is on windy days, but in reality it is illegal (in Canada anyways...). In order to prevent shore erosion to protect some bird species nests, such as loons, it is the law in Canada that when driving a boat parrallel to the shoreline in a distance less then 150 feet, you must be driving slowly enough not to produce a wake. Basically refered to as a no wake zone. We try to respect that as much as possible, but when you haven't seen a patch of calm water in days, it is very hard to resist... but after reading your story, I think it will help us.

I think 100 feet from the shore is a standard USCG rule for all states (Somewhere around 100 feet). I could be wrong, but most states I've seen have this rule. You have to stay 100 feet from the shore, docks, parked boats, etc. So technically, you would be driving your boat illegally if you got close enough to the shore for the skiier/boarder to hit it.

Edited by GoldschlagerVT

I think 100 feet from the shore is a standard USCG rule for all states (Somewhere around 100 feet). I could be wrong, but most states I've seen have this rule. You have to stay 100 feet from the shore, docks, parked boats, etc. So technically, you would be driving your boat illegally if you got close enough to the shore for the skiier/boarder to hit it.

Have you been to the Delta?

Common Sense is not so common. Not your fault Dude. It is a good reminder to really make sure that your passengers know what to do and not to do. I would bet you that he will never play chicken with the rocks again.

Yes, and by law, those areas are supposed to be no wake zones. (If Cali law is the same, I haven't read up on the cali boating laws)

Also, I'm not saying the law is what people follow. Such as, wasn't Surfing being a boat illegal until this year when they rewrote the laws to allow it?

Yes, there are a lot of areas on the Delta that wouldn't be wide enough. So according to the law books, these areas would just be off limits to having a wake, limiting the usable areas of water. I didn't say if the laws were logical. I was only responding to 1FootDan's comment that you can't boat within 150 feet of the shore in Canada.

Edited by GoldschlagerVT

Yes, and by law, those areas are supposed to be no wake zones. (If Cali law is the same, I haven't read up on the cali boating laws)

Also, I'm not saying the law is what people follow. Such as, wasn't Surfing being a boat illegal until this year when they rewrote the laws to allow it?

Yes, there are a lot of areas on the Delta that wouldn't be wide enough. So according to the law books, these areas would just be off limits to having a wake, limiting the usable areas of water. I didn't say if the laws were logical. I was only responding to 1FootDan's comment that you can't boat within 150 feet of the shore in Canada.

I copied the following from the ABC's of California Boating Law:

"Speed is limited by law for certain conditions and areas. The maximum speed for motorboats within 100 feet of a bather (but not a water skier) and within 200 feet of a bathing beach, swimming float, diving platform or life line, passenger landing being used, or landing where boats are tied up is five miles per hour."

Based on the above, there doesn't appear to be any legal restraints to cruising 60' from shore unless your passing a beach, dock, swimmer etc. Am I wrong on this? Any other Delta boaters, Central Cal crew please chime in.