Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a switch to breaker panel - need help

Badger

I was trying to start a LED cupholder / speaker ring project this weekend.  I need some help to understand where I can draw power from on my 2015 VTX and understand the basics of this wiring.  I believe that I will need a manual switch to control these lights on their own circuit.  I pulled the breaker panel tonight and see that I have 4 breakers with no wires coming off the back.  Questions start here:

1. Are those breakers "hot" and ready to be connected to?

2.  I have a spare switch that I got with my heater kit.  I figure I can just use that?

3.  Would I run a hot lead from the breaker to the switch?  and then run a ground wire from the switch to the bus bar under the helm?

Edit:  Also figured out this morning that I have the option to turn on Tower lights from the MTC screen.  I pulled the plate from under the speaker shelf hoping to see a spare wire harness there but no such luck.

My original questions are still valid, but even better would be able to control the lights from the screen.  With no harness present though, I'm not sure where to look to get started with that switchable power.

Edited by Badger

I apologize that I now have 2 threads going for essentially the same topic.  I'll see if I can delete one.

I found this thread, but couldn't find a harness connector anywhere near my switch panel.  Therefore not sure I can follow these same directions.