Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

07 LSV Dash Pieces De-Bling'd

rugger

That looks familiar!  Nice...really looks amazing with the red contrasting.  To me better than the original chrome.

2 hours ago, DUKENO1 said:

That looks familiar!  Nice...really looks amazing with the red contrasting.  To me better than the original chrome.

Thanks for feedback on yours as well.  I liked the chrome, but I like this too.  

Yeah I pulled a few extra pieces as well, such as the stereo remote, several bezels and even a piece of the steering wheel to "tie it all together."   I will probably add a few other items to be honest.  I forgot a few and my OCD will get the better of me at some point.

I chose to keep the emblem shiny against the black (glove box pic), but I replaced it with a stainless version.    I will have to replace the smaller one on the main dash w/ stainless as well. 

IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

Edited by rugger
  • Like 3

Thanks for the motivation. I pulled off all my pitted chrome crap today.  The sun was setting and had that bright glare in my eyes reminding why I was doing this. (same reason I swapped out chrome mirror and chrome hood louvers on my truck). That plastic ring around the gauge bezel has been broken since I got the boat, so that is finally getting replaced while I'm at it. I used my headlight restore kit on the info display, wet sand 1000, 3000 and polish with drill .. worked pretty good. Not brand new looking, but 90% better than it looked before. should have started with 600 or 800.... it was really cloudy looking.

Nice! Yeah I did the same.  Used an orange pad w/ DA polisher.  Was lazy and just grabbed finesse it polish but it worked like a charm.  45 seconds or so and the plastic glass looked new.  No more water spots.  Great minds think alike.  

formulaben
1 hour ago, TimbrSS said:

Thanks for the motivation. I pulled off all my pitted chrome crap today.  The sun was setting and had that bright glare in my eyes reminding why I was doing this. (same reason I swapped out chrome mirror and chrome hood louvers on my truck).

I really hate chrome anything on the dash with a passion...a close 2nd is BLUE dash lights/lighting and lights that don't dim at night; they should all be red.

I also used the buffer on the clear plastic lenses and they looked like new in seconds.

On May 7, 2017 at 11:21 AM, macdaddy said:

Where did you get the G3?  Dealer?  Can I ask what the price was?  Message me?  Thanks. Mac

Sorry @macdaddy, I missed this.  

Yes I bought the G3 from a dealer.  Will have to leave price out as it was a cash deal for a rare "extra".  Your dealer should be able to order you one, and I beleive Malibu will even custom size it.  No idea on cost though for that.  Worth some phone calls. 

Changing towers is harder than I would have thought.... none of the holes from the Illusion lined up, it's heavy, and required a bit of gel coat and ingenuity.    

Not sure if you're a member on Wake Garage but there's a full write up on the retrofit.   If not, PM me your email and I can send pics if interested.  

I know there's a few others who have done it.  Worth it!

You would be my new best friend if you posted how to remove the trim piece from the gauge cluster.  I also need to pull the malibu emblems from the seats under the tower, but it looks like you have to pull the entire interior to get to them.

Just now, ilovetrains said:

You would be my new best friend if you posted how to remove the trim piece from the gauge cluster.  I also need to pull the malibu emblems from the seats under the tower, but it looks like you have to pull the entire interior to get to them.

Remove the logo in front of gauge cluster with T15 (iirc). And the screw at top center going up through plastic trim. The whole thing pulls out. Then remove all the gauges from behind. Easy.

Just now, TimbrSS said:

Remove the logo in front of gauge cluster with T15 (iirc). And the screw at top center going up through plastic trim. The whole thing pulls out. Then remove all the gauges from behind. Easy.

great, thank you!

Bandwagon:

20170516_201613_zpsxujezfg8.jpg

20170516_201629_zps10xmvxpi.jpg

I found new stainless emblems for about $80 for the set and was ready to buy, but decided to get my chrome ones powder coated in a charcoal color. All done work done for $55.

• Like 3

@TimbrSS  Did the powder coat place do the prep or you?  If you did it what did you do?  Took my racks 2 years ago to a notable powder coat shop and they are already peeling because they weren't prepped properly.  Like to get this fixed and a few other items as well.  

Has anyone ever used PlastiDip to do this instead of powder coating?  I'm super cheap and would love to do it for $5 instead of $75....even if I had to recoat it every couple years.

1 hour ago, NCVride said:

@TimbrSS  Did the powder coat place do the prep or you?  If you did it what did you do?  Took my racks 2 years ago to a notable powder coat shop and they are already peeling because they weren't prepped properly.  Like to get this fixed and a few other items as well.  

Yes, they sand blasted it and taped off all the screw holes. H.M. Elliott in Mooresville NC.

I'm sure plastidip would work, but the glove box likely gets banged around a lot, and this isn't really something I'd want to do on an annual basis... It doesn't save you that much money.

Very nice work on the powder coating! 

Anyone considering Plasti-Dip DO NOT DO IT. It is not intended to be a permanent coating and will maybe look good for a season or two but do not spend your time or hard earned money on that. It is soft and will chip and peel insanely easy. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hyperryd said:

Here is a good video on how to properly use Plasti-Dip on a project like this  

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1174350842598080&id=100000695271297

Perhaps the greatest project tutorial I've seen in a long time...belongs on WG and should be a sticky in TMC's mod section permanently.    

Edited by rugger

There's a place for plasti-dip, but Malibu's machined aluminum deserves better IMO.  

Under $75 bucks and you get a permanent coating w/ powdercoating done correctly.  

Just now, rugger said:

There's a place for plasti-dip, but Malibu's machined aluminum deserves better IMO.  

Under $75 bucks and you get a permanent coating w/ powdercoating done correctly.  

That place isn't on a Wake Boat!