Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Classifieds

nyryan2001

^^^ this.... or have a specific "dealer classified for sale section".  There really is only one dealer that keeps posting all there boat inventory.

• Like 1

They probably pay for it. However this is the only forum I am on that allows posting a classified without a price in the title. In the title being the important part. 

They pay there $25 fee and use it for unlimited classified posts.  And they are promoting selling out of territory which we all know never works out well for the buyer.

I've complained about the no price rule in the past to no avail. It's almost to the point of why would anyone pay for a listing here? Do boats actually sell off tmc listings? 

I've never listed a boat where the price is mandatory that I recall and I list mine every year everywhere I can. I always put the price just to keep the low ballers from pestering me about it.

I do understand why a Dealer wouldn't post price. It seems like a dealer sells their boats priced on who is buying more than a set price. I've never understood why a dealer would post a for sale ad out of their territory unless they don't respect the territorial lines when selling. If it works for them though, I suppose it works for me. I'm loyal to my local dealer though. I can also understand those who aren't loyal for whatever reason they have.

I just don't understand what they complaint here is. It's a for sale ad, if you're not interested in it, move on. If you're interested, act on it. Are you interested in every post on the forums? Should threads you're not interested in not be there for others to read?

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

I've never listed a boat where the price is mandatory that I recall and I list mine every year everywhere I can. I always put the price just to keep the low ballers from pestering me about it.

I do understand why a Dealer wouldn't post price. It seems like a dealer sells their boats priced on who is buying more than a set price. I've never understood why a dealer would post a for sale ad out of their territory unless they don't respect the territorial lines when selling. If it works for them though, I suppose it works for me. I'm loyal to my local dealer though. I can also understand those who aren't loyal for whatever reason they have.

I just don't understand what they complaint here is. It's a for sale ad, if you're not interested in it, move on. If you're interested, act on it. Are you interested in every post on the forums? Should threads you're not interested in not be there for others to read?

I would encourage to think outside of the boating universe here. Not having prices is just a pain for buyers and sellers alike. Causes bunch of messages etc that just aren't necessary.

In all my other hobbies (cars, saltwater fish, bikes) they require prices front and center, however they also get 100x the traffic so it's a greater headache.

the dealer here has all the prices, but they make you dig deep into their website to find them.

Doesnt matter much to me, by I took it a bit off topic. To the original point I think it's helpful to search private party and dealer separately. There are typically great differences in price, tax, and risk.

Craigslist has done it that way for years now.

I just have notifications on for classifieds and the email doesn't have the price. So I end up clicking to see a used prop that's listed for MSRP or something.

038fef4fd98ced44d3d7c33931988bb2_aint-no

I think of it this way. A private seller really has no reason to not list the price. Like you say (and I said above as well with the pestering), No price means extra messages or emails to get that info. For a dealer though, it's all about getting that first contact. They will do anything to get a new buyer to contact them so they have a chance of selling them the advertised boat, another that they have in stock or even ordering one. They just need the contact. If you're calling, messaging or emailing them about it, they have your attention and the "selling" starts. I have had several conversations with dealers about where the "ranking" of this website is in that it directs traffic to their website. We are usually pretty far up that list. When they can advertise here with a way to get your interest, for you to get in touch with them, for them to do their thing, its a win for them. As you can see, most dealers don't use this tactic here. These dealers here do. I bet for most dealers though, if you go to their website, most don't list prices for New inventory. Even if you go to Onlyinboards.com (where I've had the best results selling), most don't list the price on new boats.

When I go on oib, I click the "omit listings with no price" button so I don't have to waste my time. The dealer spam with no prices is one of the reasons I never look thru the boat classifieds here because you're right, most people will also list on oib. 

So we can all spam trash the classifieds Craig's style with various crap and it's good to go. Dealer profitability and covienience should be our top priority.

Seems legit.

From here on out, when you reply, put today's date and who's playing in the NBA finals in the title so I know youre real...and a recent pic of you're boat.  No boat pic no reply.

Honestly, requests from Non Supporting members don't get much attention around here... but, if you want to pay your $5/ad to "Spam Trash" the classifieds, Knock yourself out. 

22 hours ago, Ronnie said:

They don't put the price because then they would have to come back and update it.  The dealer we are all referring to is constantly adjusting their prices and they would need to return here every time they modified it on their website.  

I, too, am annoyed with their posts to the classified section.  I think it should be mandatory to have a price listed.  That said, the most shocking thing to me in this thread is that they are only paying $25/year for this privilege.  I had assumed that my irritation was being offset by them paying for advertising (in which case I'm happy to ignore it.)  If that's not the case then I have no idea why you would allow this when multiple paid supporters are right here expressing their annoyance.  

It's either an opportunity missed or a cheap-to-address (and easily rectified) complaint.

I'll take this to the other Admins for discussion but, it's been this way for quite some time and we have had few if any complaints and certainly not from the majority of the Supporters. 

If you'd like, to help build your case, give us examples of websites that require prices in the ads. (real prices, not just $1234.56)

• 2 weeks later...

I never look once at a boat without a price. I'll find a boat with the price listed and pay more money than to work to seek out a price. I hate this about dealers. "Call for price" skip, skip, skip, skip. Someone else that has the courtesy and nuts to list a price gets my money, period. 

• 1 month later...

I rarely look at the classifieds section due to the spam from BB. Not that it's hard to sort through, just that they've kinda taken over the section.  Price or not is irrelevant in my opinion.  I'm not sure if I'm a paying member now but I have been several times in he past so take it for what it's worth. 

I'll run it by the other Admins/Mods. It may be possible. You can sort by category but then you get old ads before new ads and lots of scrolling to get to the next field. Right now, the 2nd category is on page 3. I think we had to build that plugin to work for us. Only works though as long as the member lists the boat in the correct field. I'm not sure we can move it across fields there.

so next time I'll route ideas through a paying member so they have credibility.

because it really matters where a good idea comes from for them to be good ideas.

and because the litmus test is that you should have to demonstrate it exists elsewhere for it to be valid here.

honestly still thought I was paying member as I was for several years.  If you moved as much as I do, auto-pay accounts fall off as your billing address changes.  But it's clear folks on here actually think folks like me make a conscious choice to pay or not pay, and there is some big reason behind that choice.  What a joke.