Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer bunks

kenelec2

43 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Must be a regional thing.  Power loading is a huge no-no around here and the ramps are built so you can actually launch a boat from them.  However they are lakes, not reservoirs so we don't deal with launch location/water depth moving more than a few inches.  If you are using that liquid roller stuff them make sure you have added a safety chain for your bow hook.

It all depends on the launch.  The one at my lake is to short and to shallow.  Powering on is a must.  Sucks a lot.  Lots of liquid rollers and I have to redo the bunks every other year.

• Like 2
Just now, spikew919 said:

So should I ask my dealer to add staples to all bunks?

Might be a good idea if they are all just along the seam in the center of the bunk.  I'd assume they are making all their bunks in the same way and this is the first picture I've seen of a problem so maybe that one bunk was just "special"?

• 2 weeks later...

One of the ramps I use is very flat and we have to power load. Silicone spray helps. It's cheaper than the liquid rollers brand. I spray every 4 or 5 trips or so.  Other lakes we go to have proper ramps and boats float off the trailer naturally.  The crappy flat ramp also has the highest  launch fee  I've ever heard of. And crappy docks with exposed screws and no protection for tying up. Go figure. 

To me that bunk wasn't ever stapled properly to begin with. Its pretty hard to remove properly stabled bunk carpet.  I carpeted my bunks last year and I almost used the whole pack of 1000 staples. I'd guess it was 700-800.  I used new wood as I had no desire to try and pry off the old carpet. The top of the carpet was worn but the staples were still holding strong.  A $30 pneumatic stapler from amazon was worth every penny.  

Edited by Gavin17
  • Like 2

IMG_4144.jpgcurious what everyone's opinion is. Boat has been loaded and unloaded like 5 times. Looks to me like boat only contacting bunks on edges mostly while hauling? No adjustment to change angle of bunks. And yes I am now using liquid roller but at my ramp boat floats over bunks. 

IMG_4145.jpg

Edited by spikew919
  • 2 weeks later...

I sprayed a whole can of liquid roller on my bunks once, that stuff was crazy slick. I could move the boat fore and aft on the trailer by hand.

very glad when it wore off

formulaben
2 hours ago, Bozboat said:

Wondering how slippery the ultimate bunk board is?   

It feels like HDPE, maybe even more slippery?  Definitely not "grabby" like the carpet is, which is what I'm trying to prevent.

• 1 month later...
On 27/05/2017 at 8:49 AM, formulaben said:

I'm replacing my forwards bunks with these:

https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/

Tried HDPE, removed the carpet, screwed 1/2" HDPE on to the existing bunks with Carpet removed & countersunk Stainless screws.

Instal was easy once you remove the old carpet.

Worked a treat loading & unloading as these are slippery so make sure you have the saefty chain or winch connected when backing down the ramp.

If you use the ultimate bunks, won't have the carpet removal problem.

Now, the down side & why I went back to carpet.

We used to tow 2 hours each way to our preferred lake or 3 hours each way to our glass water paradise river.

Have since brought a cabin & the boat lives at the river. Steep ramp so boat easilly floats off the trailer & no power loading apart from the last foot to the winch post

Swaped over to the HDPE one trip down at the river, trailered 3 hours back home, went to the Lake & noticed after the launch white marks on the Black HDPE. These could only come from the white hull.

At both locations we have fresh water so no sand or abrasive material to get caught between the Hull & Bunk.

Go for the opposite colour to the hull so you can see any marks from abrasion off the hull if yuo trailer any long distances

Edited by Andrew63
  • 2 weeks later...

@formulaben Curious what your experience has been with the ultimate bunks. 

I am considering either replacing my 4 bunks with them or possibly buying two sheets of 1/2 inch HDPE and ripping strips to put on top of my current bunks.  The strips would be cheaper.  @Andew63's experience has me a bit concerned though.  I only have an 8 mile round trip to the launch and back but I do it a couple of times a week.  Shallow ramp makes launching and recovery fun and I am thinking the HDPE would help.  As it is, I have to put my tow rig in so that the water is halfway up the rear bumper and the water is about an inch from the bottom of the driver's door sill.  Is a bit dodgy when you have kid's wake surfing in the cove sending big rollers in...