Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer bunks

kenelec2

I can't seem to get n my trailer bunks carpet to hold up. Has anybody tried the plastic glide on pieces with a LSV?

This is a pic of my brand new m235 trailer bunk. Only took boat out 3 times so far. My dealer is going to restaple. I suggested he get long thin plastic strips and staple that on top of carpet to get more  contact area. Also 3 of my other bunks and one fender at corners where carpet is doubled and appears staples were too short. 

IMG_4094.jpg

Gotta use liquid roller spray every time time out. That boat is HEAVY. I'm sure it'll eat up that bunk carpet in short order. I use liquid roller about every 3 trips. Saves your bunk carpet. When you use it, don't forget your rear straps!

15 minutes ago, surfdude said:

Gotta use liquid roller spray every time time out. That boat is HEAVY. I'm sure it'll eat up that bunk carpet in short order. I use liquid roller about every 3 trips. Saves your bunk carpet. When you use it, don't forget your rear straps!

Well it would have to help not to put staples at very edge of carpet also. I dipped the trailer in to wett all bunks, all three trips before unloading and before loading.  

Three trips.   

My memory is not the best, but I will look again, pretty sure no where in Manual that came with boat did it say "Gotta use liquid roller spray time out"  or any lube on the carpet bunks.  ??‍♂️

21 minutes ago, spikew919 said:

Well it would have to help not to put staples at very edge of carpet also. I dipped the trailer in to wett all bunks, all three trips before unloading and before loading.  

Three trips.   

My memory is not the best, but I will look again, pretty sure no where in Manual that came with boat did it say "Gotta use liquid roller spray time out"  or any lube on the carpet bunks.  ??‍♂️

Maybe not every time out, my experience is that the warranty will cover it maybe once. Easy to do. Way easier than replacing bunk carpet. @IXFE never keeps a boat long enough to wear out bunk carpet.

12 minutes ago, IXFE said:

@spikew919

I've NEVER had that problem. Obviously you're doing something wrong. 

I know it, you know it, everybody knows it...

:lol:

Beginning to think I'm doing it all wrong ??‍♂️??? or this guy ?Sabotaging me due to the pics of him I posted ?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, surfdude said:

Maybe not every time out, my experience is that the warranty will cover it maybe once. Easy to do. Way easier than replacing bunk carpet. @IXFE never keeps a boat long enough to wear out bunk carpet.

My understanding is 5 year bow to stern sitting on malibu trailer. Are you saying warranty doesn't cover bunks? 

1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

My understanding is 5 year bow to stern sitting on malibu trailer. Are you saying warranty doesn't cover bunks? 

I have no idea, but to me it's kinda like tires. Do you think you'll get new tires if you wear them out before 5 yrs? No way the bunk carpet will last 5 years.

Edited by surfdude

4th season with the boat mate and they look brand new! It helps that I've probably only put it on the trailer a dozen or so times. Brand new boats should NOT be having this problem. 

ahopkins22LSV

That sucks spike. How are the top of the bunks looking? Stapling the underside back on is a fairly easy fix for your dealer and I'm not surprised it ripped away with the M being loaded. 

We trailer every time we use our boat. 2-3 times per week between may and October. I've come to the conclusion that I will be replacing the bunk carpet every few season. It's a wear item, like brakes and tires. Strip of plastic with SS nails might be a good idea too. Although the electric stapler from HF works quite good too. 

12 hours ago, spikew919 said:

This is a pic of my brand new m235 trailer bunk. Only took boat out 3 times so far. My dealer is going to restaple. I suggested he get long thin plastic strips and staple that on top of carpet to get more  contact area. Also 3 of my other bunks and one fender at corners where carpet is doubled and appears staples were too short. 

IMG_4094.jpg

Is that treated wood?  Definitely different than the way that boatmate staples carpet on.  The one bunk I redid must have had 200 staples in it all over the bottom of the board, definitely not in one straight line at the seam.

9 hours ago, surfdude said:

I have no idea, but to me it's kinda like tires. Do you think you'll get new tires if you wear them out before 5 yrs? No way the bunk carpet will last 5 years.

Why not?  If you are wearing it out then you must be launching and retrieving shallow and power loading/unloading.  Should be little to no wear on the bunks unless you are dragging the whole weight of the boat on them.  (Unless you cut the carpet off with a tracking fin - which is what necessitated me redoing a bunk on my 5 year old trailer)

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Why not?  If you are wearing it out then you must be launching and retrieving shallow and power loading/unloading.  Should be little to no wear on the bunks unless you are dragging the whole weight of the boat on them.  (Unless you cut the carpet off with a tracking fin - which is what necessitated me redoing a bunk on my 5 year old trailer)

See this is what I was thinking. My boat is usually floating over bunks. Or so I thought 

I think it all depends on your boat ramp. Our local ramp requires you to power up, because it's in the river and drops off. The one at the nearby lake, you can float on, barely skimming the bunks. People around here are always redoing bunks. Maybe us Montanans are doing it all wrong!? I was only trying to help by suggesting the liquid roller.

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, surfdude said:

I think it all depends on your boat ramp. Our local ramp requires you to power up, because it's in the river and drops off. The one at the nearby lake, you can float on, barely skimming the bunks. People around here are always redoing bunks. Maybe us Montanans are doing it all wrong!? I was only trying to help by suggesting the liquid roller.

Does liquid roller leave any residue on the hull? after spraying , how long should the trailer sit before loading? 

Yeah my ramp is (was I hope) very flat and shallow.  Excursion on 33s with 4" lift up to the door sills to get the boat on, and even then it takes some power.  

(lake should be up enough this year to correct that issue I hope)

32 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

OJ is just pissy and always looking for something negative to say.  I've launched many times on shallow ramps, if the ramp is long enough then you have to weigh out your options, drag on and off or back in so far that water starts entering the vehicle.  I agree with @ahopkinsTXi, bunk carpet is a wear item and, depending on your launching situation, will eventually need replaced just like driving a car and oil changes.  

Certainly not enough staples on that M235, I would have expected that carpet to be doubled over with 1 row of staples spaced every inch down the center.  I also would have expected the bunks to be made of solid gold rather than treated pine.  

Must be a regional thing.  Power loading is a huge no-no around here and the ramps are built so you can actually launch a boat from them.  However they are lakes, not reservoirs so we don't deal with launch location/water depth moving more than a few inches.  If you are using that liquid roller stuff them make sure you have added a safety chain for your bow hook.

39 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

However they are lakes, not reservoirs so we don't deal with launch location/water depth moving more than a few inches.  

My lake is bigger than your lake!

• Like 4