Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Should I trade?

Padge

Hey guys I've got a 2012 lsv 247 with 250 hours. I love the boat. Does everything I need.  We only surf. As you know it takes a ton of weight to weigh my boat down. Gets a little old having all the bags on the seats etc. would love surf gate. Wanting to get into a new axis t23. Any opinions on if you think I'd like my boat better? What would you all do

There's not enough room in the 247 to hide all the ballast?  

Go surf assist is a $4000 add on but I've yet to hear a bad review and I've heard some people say that then recouped 80-100% off the cost on resale or trade in.  

I have no idea what you should do but if it was me I'd compare the cost of having more ballast plumed in and adding GSA vs trading for a new boat. 

I can pretty much trade straight up. I'll get a tax credit and can get the new boat at same cost they are giving for mine. 

As for hiding bags, I have an 1100 hid in the rear locker. 1100 l shape on the seat and then a 750 up in the bow on the cushions

@TimbrSS @rugger get these guys in here, timbrss has been running gsa on his 247. Rugger is doing gates for his. They both have great info. I'm still listing and suck gate some times. You could look for a newer 247 with gates.

27 minutes ago, Padge said:

I can pretty much trade straight up. I'll get a tax credit and can get the new boat at same cost they are giving for mine. 

As for hiding bags, I have an 1100 hid in the rear locker. 1100 l shape on the seat and then a 750 up in the bow on the cushions

That's pretty convincing.  

Aside from cabin space that you're obviously not using now because you fill it with bags.  What are the downsides to switching to axis?  Less plush interior?  How do the towers compare?

Just now, Gavin17 said:

That's pretty convincing.  

Aside from cabin space that you're obviously not using now because you fill it with bags.  What are the downsides to switching to axis?  Less plush interior?  How do the towers compare?

I think the G3 tower is a better made tower in just looking at them side by side.  Just found out it won't be as even as I thought. Wants $30k between the two. Def not worth the trade now 

When I listed my 247, (all regular side) I was using the Bakes Extra long dong sack. It's like 1800+ lbs. 1 big sack and that's all you need for a great wave. + 400# of lead underneath it and 2 50# bags in the bow. 12.6 mph. wedge up 2 clicks from the bottom. If I didn't have any crew on-board, I sometimes added a 400 or 750 sac to the seat, but not really needed. It's an awesome wave.  This is your easiest solution (especially if you only need regular wave).

As far as GSA / Wave Control, Here's my review I sent to Shadetree when he asked about it:

The system itself is really well put together. Easy to install. There certainly isn't a nicer complete automated system available. And customer support from GSA and Wakemakers was awesome. It functions pretty well, though it will freak out at times if you try too many adjustments at once. I haven't landed any side to side transfers yet, but that my lack of skills holding me back.

The goofy wave is simply awesome. When the regular wave is at it's best, It's as good as my listed wave. Most of the time it's about 95% as good as my listed wave..., seems to be a little inconsistent, sometimes It just lacks that little bit of push at the very back of the wave, so its a little easier to fall out. With that being said, i feel that the sweet spot for ballast is really sensitive (only for reg side), and i feel i have to chase it around to keep the wave at its best.

Most of it is likely due to me still having mis-matched size ballast in the back. I have 1100 starboard and 1800+ dong sac on port side. I try to fill evenly, but weight distribution is still off using that method.

I'll swap out that bigger sac this year to even things up at 1100 and work on getting it more consistent.

All that said, a surf device is so much nicer than a listed boat. Way more fun for the boat passengers, being level, especially newbs that are just there to hang out. Plus feels much safer when it's a bit choppy. And the boat doesn't just sit and spin in circles while retrieving a rider. 

I tried a gate that mounted solid to swim platform, mission, and it wasn't much fun driving that back to fallen rider either. That wave was decent, but not as nice shape (in my opinion) as my listed wave, or GSA.

I haven't tried an actual factory surf gate boat yet... Since I'm a very diy guy, i was close to making my own surfgate system with the wake logic controller.  This comes mostly from reading posts on the MB forum about removing GSA and replacing with "goose slappers" aka gates. Seems it provides better and more consistent results for them, and looks like it takes a little less weight for same results.

When I decided on wave control, the biggest factor was time available. I installed in 2 days and was done with the system, and it just worked.. A diy surfgate project would likely have taken several weeks of prototype testing, and since it was the middle of summer, i just wanted to spend as much free time surfing as i could.

Bottom line is if you are super picky, and wanted absolutely best wave, my boat was best listed. But with all the benefits of GSA, I'll never go back. If you have more money than time (and/or skill) GSA is the way to go. DIY automated gate is likely half the cost, but way more time to design and produce... Probably very similar results.

>>>>>>>>

As far as trading for a new T23, while they are nice, the Malibu just seems more luxury. I'd take a used Lexus over a new Toyota any time.

Axis is out of the question now. I won't buy another boat from that dealer. Wouldn't mind to try a new Supra with swell and auto flow. Maybe even stoop to a moomba. They seem better built after looking at the axis then the moomba. But neither one is a Malibu. I love my boat just wish it had surf gate 

With themalibucrew discount, Wavecontrol is $3600. I'm sure you'd recover 2/3 of it on resale. I think it would be a no-brainer to try it before buying a new boat if you are as happy as you seem about the rest of the boat. Worst case is you are out a couple grand. If you (or anyone reading this) want to come surf with me in NC and check out Wavecontrol on a 247 sometime, message me.

I know there's a lot of talk about the new ri237 and 257 Centurions on here lately, but this video would at least make me check out a Supra if I was in the market for a new boat. I feel like there would need to be a revolutionary surf innovation to get me to look for a new boat. My skill level is holding me back way more than my wave. 

• Like 2

Padge I think you'd really have to want another boat to give up that 247.  With regards to surf waves,  its so hard to compare apples to apples.

We only bought our 247 last summer, and I played with listing some but was honestly already sold on gates, or as my MB friends say "slappers," based on my previous boat.   I had already spent a few summers with a homemade SG system, and originally put TONS of hours into trying different configurations, gate size, gate plus list, etc.   To me, the simplicity and speed of a surf system trumps a best wave, but you should see if it works for you.  You can get a GREAT wave with listing, gates or a GSA as you see in TimbrSS videos.  

If I were you, I'd craft a simple manual gate to try.  Then you'll know.  If you like the wave, then you can upgrade your boat with a fully automated system some day.  Or just run as is.

This is what I made last summer, it's 14" tall gate made from Starboard, slides over the swim deck, and is reversible (symmetric) so you can flip it to the other side in about 45 seconds.  I am getting ready to make a fully automated permanent system soon.  For me this allowed us to run less weight, and we've had good results.   Like Timbrss said... the boat doesn't limit my ability.

For $40ish in material and about 2 hours time, it's worth trying.  Let me know if you want the details. 

IMG_5964.JPG.e653fef6e2909575cfe41afd17bc3eb3.JPG

• Like 1

Have you checked out the new tige Z3's or rz4 with taps 3? They put out some great waves for a somewhat decent price. 

Here's a new one, used can be found cheaper. I would take this any day over an axis. http://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Tige-Z3-for-sale-American-Fork-Utah-64337.aspx

I know they aren't Malibu's, not trying to stir everything up. Just sharing ideas. 

I think I'm going to keep my boat. Just put rev 10's on the tower and a 420bt eq. Stereo jams and I have tons of space. Plus the classy lines and luxurious feel make it hard to get rid of. Thanks for all the input. I think I'll go with gsa in the future 

On 5/5/2017 at 11:55 AM, Padge said:

and why do you feel the need to ask.....you have already decided to trade...Now on to more important things like pics of the new boat.......

23 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

and why do you feel the need to ask.....you have already decided to trade...Now on to more important things like pics of the new boat.......

Decided to keep mine for now. Besides, I'd rather trade mine for a 14 or 15 lsv for the same price as a new moomba 

• Like 2