Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Southern Surf Fesr

DarkSide

Southern Surf fest was last weekend.   Did any of the crew make it out?  How was it?  I think @granddaddy55 went, but not sure.   Looked to have been an awesome event.   I wish we did something like that here. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, DarkSide said:

Southern Surf fest was last weekend.   Did any of the crew make it out?  How was it?  I think @granddaddy55 went, but not sure.   Looked to have been an awesome event.   I wish we did something like that here. 

Here we go guys, I'll be posting vids of all the paired ( we went from one straight to the other) boats together; view it on Facebook for high def(instead of opening a browser) and written explanation of set up; G25 vs RI257, not perfect vid comparisons but the best we could provide, each day I'll post two more at least

Edited by granddaddy55

Sorry I forgot to thank Drew @Wolfeman1 and Scott for a ridiculously well organized event, as well as all the support staff and vendors, bought 3 boards Brigade asymmetrical goofy 4'10",

Brigade (Shawn chime in on name please) Blue Indian Myke with the new wicked fins 4'6", and a 53" phase 5 Ahi

Edited by granddaddy55
25 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Did you also ride M235 or G23?  It's subjective but what did you like and what did you not, from all the boats you tried that weekend

I'm going to post vids all vids 1st, those two will be last and the M had a 1000 lb bow sac plus pnp 450 rears plus stock plus 5 in cabin and I think wedge was down, but it may have been in lift, G was stock plus some bow lead not to fair cause I've ridden a G23 before with stock plus 10 people and it was a huge but the G series I love weren't what I had experienced before! I will render opinions but let's get vids 1st

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

That is the downside with events like this.  As we all know,  setup is key.    I would love to see an event like this with enthusiast boats.   

You should come up this way when wake 9 or W.E.S.T. Puts on an event. West has Woodstock of wakesurfing on the weekend of may 19th and surf exposure weekend August 18th. 

On 5/4/2017 at 2:11 PM, DarkSide said:

A buddy and me attended and had a great time.  Best two wakes was the M235 and RI257.

As mentioned the M235 had extra weight in the boat and they ran it at 11.3mph, mid way down.  I called them out for putting extra weight in the boat and what the point of doing so?  with this much weight they where unable to run the wedge in the Vert position which also meant they where unable to demostrate how much of a difference the Wedge makes on the M235. 

With that said the RI257 had to run at a list which means transfers are almost out of the question.

• Like 1

BTW the Brigade and Parker Surfcraft boards were on point.

Took home an Exile Standard board which is a hybrid, very fast and light weight.

If you have any specific questions I will do my best to answer.

14 hours ago, ah2oguy said:

A buddy and me attended and had a great time.  Best two wakes was the M235 and RI257.

As mentioned the M235 had extra weight in the boat and they ran it at 11.3mph, mid way down.  I called them out for putting extra weight in the boat and what the point of doing so?  with this much weight they where unable to run the wedge in the Vert position which also meant they where unable to demostrate how much of a difference the Wedge makes on the M235. 

With that said the RI257 had to run at a list which means transfers are almost out of the question.

Best may have been @Wolfeman1 Drew's  24 MXZ from Friday's lessons, don't think we did video 

most cost effective and fun waves were from the moomba mojo pro and the T23 and Axis pro Johnny Stieg was super cool and a great surfer and I fell in love with his Rusty brand  board

Edited by granddaddy55
5 hours ago, ah2oguy said:

This is one of the challenges, you can run more quick surf to make the tabs generate list, but when you do you lose some wave quality!  Its do you want transfers or best wave, because you cant have both.   I am not saying the more evenly weighted wave is bad, i am saying it is not as good.  

It's interesting they would weight the M235 so wedge was not fully usable....

15 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Sorry I forgot to thank Drew @Wolfeman1 and Scott for a ridiculously well organized event, as well as all the support staff and vendors, bought 3 boards Brigade asymmetrical goofy 4'10",

Brigade (Shawn chime in on name please) Blue Indian Myke with the new wicked fins 4'6", and a 53" phase 5 Ahi

What did you think of the ahi?

1 hour ago, surfdude said:

What did you think of the ahi?

It's a competition corvette, the new blue brigade (Indian Myke?)with the sick fins was its equal so I got that too

14 hours ago, ah2oguy said:

And you wouldn't let it go either! That sack made that wave pretty wicked, problem with the M is it's a very small interior and who cares about the list that wave felt like I was jumping off a 4 foot wall

Edited by granddaddy55

so the RI 257 only had 3200 lb ballast (????) stock is up to 6150 lbs.  being from Missouri, and that I have an RI 257 on order, I can't believe that boat made its best wave with 3200 lbs of ballast. I will soon find out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

so the RI 257 only had 3200 lb ballast (????) stock is up to 6150 lbs.  being from Missouri, and that I have an RI 257 on order, I can't believe that boat made its best wave with 3200 lbs of ballast. I will soon find out.

As per the factory driver and remember 7 adults as well so approximately 4200 or slightly more, when I would come off the top it felt like jumping off a 4 foot wall and the board would land with a thud

Edited by granddaddy55
3 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

It may not have had Factory PnP ballasts. Might have just been Ramfill and Centre Tank. Factory PnP sacks is an option. Not standard.

Edited by MaliWop
  • Like 1
Just now, MaliWop said:

It may not have had Factory PnP ballasts. Might have just been Ramfill and Centre Tank. Factory PnP sacks is an option. Not standard.

Would love to jump off a 6 foot wall with 6000lbs