Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 Ford Raptor Towing MPG Test

RyanB

Guys at FLT are at it again.  If you don't want to watch the whole thing, the truck got 8.4 MPG towing a 7000 pound cargo trailer at 70 MPH over about a 100 mile stretch.

I think that leaves a LOT to be desired.  For comparison, I just tracked the MPG of my Yukon Denali XL towing my 23LSV about 1000 miles round trip to Lake Powell.  I got a low of 9.29 MPG, and a high of 10.89 MPG.  And my towing was more extreme - going 65 MPH up and over the passes in Colorado, cruise set at 75 MPH on the interstate, and 70 MPH on the 2-lanes.

28 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Guys at FLT are at it again.  If you don't want to watch the whole thing, the truck got 8.4 MPG towing a 7000 pound cargo trailer at 70 MPH over about a 100 mile stretch.

I think that leaves a LOT to be desired.  For comparison, I just tracked the MPG of my Yukon Denali XL towing my 23LSV about 1000 miles round trip to Lake Powell.  I got a low of 9.29 MPG, and a high of 10.89 MPG.  And my towing was more extreme - going 65 MPH up and over the passes in Colorado, cruise set at 75 MPH on the interstate, and 70 MPH on the 2-lanes.

INSOLENCE!!!! Never denounce the RAPTOR!!!!!!

Not surprising, the thing is as aerodynamic as a parachute, and make it tow a brick, you get some resistance. Your Denili sits a bit lower, most likely less aggressive tire, and it was towing a pointy thing.  

• Like 2
Just now, Falko said:

INSOLENCE!!!! Never denounce the RAPTOR!!!!!!

Not surprising, the thing is as aerodynamic as a parachute, and make it tow a brick, you get some resistance. Your Denili sits a bit lower, most likely less aggressive tire, and it was towing a pointy thing.  

Yep.  Towing a pointy thing.  That sits a little lower.  At higher speeds.  Up mountains.  With better MPG.

I am admittedly not a fan of Ford.  But this one just reinforces to me that there is very little "eco" in an eco boost. :)

No offense but the raptor is not designed or built to do what they are testing.  This would be like reviewing the trunk-space in a corvette and then complaining that it's too small.  I'd like to see your Denali hauling a** across the desert or jumping off a sand dune.  Is that what most of the Raptor owners are going to use the truck for?   Of course not.  But that's what it's built for.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Yep.  Towing a pointy thing.  That sits a little lower.  At higher speeds.  Up mountains.  With better MPG.

I am admittedly not a fan of Ford.  But this one just reinforces to me that there is very little "eco" in an eco boost. :)

Agree, hp is hp. Making it with a turbo or displacement really isn't going to change the ridiculously low efficiency of an internal combustion engine. There are so many factors to these things that aren't accounted.

My 17 gets about 1 mpg better than the 14  6.2 motor around town. Way more giddy up and go!  It might get better down the road, when the novelty of putting your foot into it goes away. I'm gonna tow the boat tomorrow, so I'll save judgement till then.

4 hours ago, Fffrank said:

No offense but the raptor is not designed or built to do what they are testing.  This would be like reviewing the trunk-space in a corvette and then complaining that it's too small.  I'd like to see your Denali hauling a** across the desert or jumping off a sand dune.  Is that what most of the Raptor owners are going to use the truck for?   Of course not.  But that's what it's built for.

A better test will be when they put the new engine in a regular F150 (or SUV for that matter).  Until then, this is what we have. 

And I don't think your analogy is quite correct, but we can agree to disagree on that.

I would venture to guess that significantly more people will be doing what this test showed, than what the Raptor was "built for".   And Ford must agree to some degree, otherwise they would not have beefed up it's tow rating.  So I think it is important.

Edited by RyanB

Towing rating is the same as the old Raptor. It is lower than a regular half ton.

Edited by surfdude
8 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Who cares? People that buy a raptor aren't buying it for the fuel economy. Want to talk mpg, go hit a Prius forum.

Just because people don't buy it FOR the fuel economy it is at least still RELEVANT to a lot of people.  

17 hours ago, Fffrank said:

The Raptor is not designed for any of that.  

Ford created it so folks would think they needed to have that truck so that driving around town they would be the envy of all while simultaneously dropping a huge chunk of change to Ford's bottom line.

This reminds me of Consumer Reports rating system, every full size pickup got the black circle (worst) on fuel economy.  They must have been comparing them to a Prius.

1 hour ago, MadMan said:

This reminds me of Consumer Reports rating system, every full size pickup got the black circle (worst) on fuel economy.  They must have been comparing them to a Prius.

I would encourage you to watch some of their other videos.  They are pretty objective and unbiased.  They don't test against a Prius, they test against other trucks.  So far, I believe the EcoDiesel got the best MPG  (14 maybe in this test?), and the Raptor is the worst so far.  I know they have also tested the Nissan, one of the other EcoBoosts (the 2.7?), the 6.2 Chevy......

Lets not forget that this vehicle was designed for off road racing, not towing. For this reason alone  I will not own one as long as I have a boat. 

Seems to tow just fine. Plenty of power. I have not checked the mileage yet, maybe I don't want to. Has a little more suspension sag than my older Gen1 Raptors. Haven't decided on a equalizer hitch yet.

IMG_0741.JPG