Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22 VLX - Full Boat Picture?

RedOwl

Does anyone have a picture of a 22' VLX with a full crew? (factory picture or personal). I have a friend going between a T23 and 22VLX and is trying to figure out if they'd be disappointed with the size of the 22' boat. I know this has been discussed before, but my google-foo is weak today.

@RedOwl  I swear I had a few from the Denver Boat show, because that was a big issue for me as well... The question is what do you consider a "full crew".   I recruited some people to load up a 20 VTX and a 22 VLX - Think I had 6 or 7 adults in the boat.   Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the pictures yet.  If those sound useful to you, I will keep looking.   

I can say that I thought there was a pretty big difference between the 20VTX and the 22VLX with a consistent set of people (I had the same group in both boats).   It was more about beam than length.  It really surprised me - 4" didnt sound like much, but it really felt bigger.   The additional free board was noticeable too.   I would be curious to see how much bigger a 23LSV feels than the 22VLX since the beam is the same, but length is different.   I am sure I will have that chance SOMETIME over the course of the season. 

I am pretty picky about tripping over people.   My Crownline was rated for 8, I was pretty uncomfortable with anything over 4, and got annoyed with stepping over people and gear.   My guess is that the VLX will top out at 7 for me - 2 in bow, and 5 in the cabin looks to me like it will be all I want to deal with.  I wont mind carrying more for short periods, but dont think I will want to do that frequently.

Just now, JeffC said:

@RedOwl  I swear I had a few from the Denver Boat show, because that was a big issue for me as well... The question is what do you consider a "full crew".   I recruited some people to load up a 20 VTX and a 22 VLX - Think I had 6 or 7 adults in the boat.   Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the pictures yet.  If those sound useful to you, I will keep looking.   

I can say that I thought there was a pretty big difference between the 20VTX and the 22VLX with a consistent set of people (I had the same group in both boats).   It was more about beam than length.  It really surprised me - 4" didnt sound like much, but it really felt bigger.   The additional free board was noticeable too.   I would be curious to see how much bigger a 23LSV feels than the 22VLX since the beam is the same, but length is different.   I am sure I will have that chance SOMETIME over the course of the season. 

Her crew will average 2-4 adults and 2-4 kids. Some days there would be more adults, but they would be 'prepared' for being crowded. I'm just wondering how eight bodies would deal with the 22' boat. I don't know how to explain it, but the T23 looks significantly bigger. The VLX is a more attractive boat and offers more creature-comforts.

The T23 IS significantly bigger. It's actually bigger than the 23 LSV. The T23 is 23'5", and the 22 VLX is 21'10". 

4 hours ago, jcon44 said:

would suck trying to squeeze into any of the available spots with this crew. :whistle:22VLX_running.jpg

I volunteer.   Tough work, but someone has to do it, time to take one for the team.

On 5/4/2017 at 4:35 PM, JeffC said:

I volunteer.   Tough work, but someone has to do it, time to take one for the team.

From the looks of it I think I would take 5......

For the team of course!

• Like 1
On 5/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, RedOwl said:

Her crew will average 2-4 adults and 2-4 kids. Some days there would be more adults, but they would be 'prepared' for being crowded. I'm just wondering how eight bodies would deal with the 22' boat. I don't know how to explain it, but the T23 looks significantly bigger. The VLX is a more attractive boat and offers more creature-comforts.

I had a 2015 22vlx and now a 2017 23 lsv.  If I had 8+ people consistently I would lean towards the T23.  The 22vlx is a great boat and roomy for 22' but you definitely feel the extra space in a 23'.  I think there is an extra 14" in length in the cabin of a 23 lsv, sounds like T23 is even bigger.  Basically that is at min. 3 extra seats.

Plus they will more than likely take out more friends and family at times.  My vote would be for the T23 or LSV. 

16 hours ago, Fman said:

I had a 2015 22vlx and now a 2017 23 lsv.  If I had 8+ people consistently I would lean towards the T23.  The 22vlx is a great boat and roomy for 22' but you definitely feel the extra space in a 23'.  I think there is an extra 14" in length in the cabin of a 23 lsv, sounds like T23 is even bigger.  Basically that is at min. 3 extra seats.

Plus they will more than likely take out more friends and family at times.  My vote would be for the T23 or LSV. 

This is what she's thinking - but I will say that the appearance/quality of the VLX vs the T23 is really weighing on her. I'm not much of a snob when it comes to high-end boats, but you can definitely sense the difference between the two (in my opinion).

10 hours ago, RedOwl said:

This is what she's thinking - but I will say that the appearance/quality of the VLX vs the T23 is really weighing on her. I'm not much of a snob when it comes to high-end boats, but you can definitely sense the difference between the two (in my opinion).

The price delta between a 22 VLX and a 23 LSV isn't as much as one might think. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, RedOwl said:

For approx $3000-3500 she can go to the LSV from the 22vlx.  I must admit my family is really enjoying the larger boat, more so than I thought.  The LSV is Malibu' s number one selling boat year after year for a good reason.  I would encourage her to look hard at the LSV.

12 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

The price delta between a 22 VLX and a 23 LSV isn't as much as one might think. 

8 hours ago, Fman said:

For approx $3000-3500 she can go to the LSV from the 22vlx.  I must admit my family is really enjoying the larger boat, more so than I thought.  The LSV is Malibu' s number one selling boat year after year for a good reason.  I would encourage her to look hard at the LSV.

I will happily tell her about the 'Crew's willingness to spend her money.

:werule:

Edited by RedOwl

She is not inclined to shop too far outside WI.

Right now she is seeing a difference of approximately $12,000 between these two boats. Does that sound about right to you?

http://www.americanmarina.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=2945083&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

http://www.tinusmarine.com/2016-malibu-boats-llc-wakesetter-23-lsv-inventory.htm?id=1024627&in-stock=1

My 22VLX usually has a crew of 12-15 people on it at any given time. Is it a lot of people on a boat? Hell yeah. Does the boat handle 15 people? Hell yeah.. The great benefit of these wakeboard boats is their weight/ballast capacity... I've had 17 people on my 2007 20' VTX - No problem, no need to fill up the ballast ;)

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, RedOwl said:

She is not inclined to shop too far outside WI.

Right now she is seeing a difference of approximately $12,000 between these two boats. Does that sound about right to you?

http://www.americanmarina.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=2945083&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

http://www.tinusmarine.com/2016-malibu-boats-llc-wakesetter-23-lsv-inventory.htm?id=1024627&in-stock=1

difference is probably mostly coming from the G4 tower on the 23LSV - otherwise it should be less ...

if she's willing to shop outside of WI (like in MN ...) I'm willing to part with my 2017 23LSV with 20 hours on it ... thinking about upgrading - need more space

• Like 1