Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1989 Flightcraft?????

Bigbankj

Bought this 1989 Flightcraft a month ago but need help in identifying the model.  I have look all over the net and cant identify it.  Looks very similar to a Malibu Skier but mine has an open bow.   Can anyone help me ID this awsome boat?

11 minutes ago, Bigbankj said:

Bought this 1989 Flightcraft a month ago but need help in identifying the model.  I have look all over the net and cant identify it.  Looks very similar to a Malibu Skier but mine has an open bow.   Can anyone help me ID this awsome boat?

I'm not sure how much information it gives about the boat, but have you tried using a Hull ID decoder?

Welcome! Unfortunately we'll need pics...can you upload to photobucket and link here?

Are you in AUS or USA? Flightcraft was a separate brand in AUS before joining with Malibu. If you are simply looking for parts they should be readily available and specific to the engine, trans, running gear, gauges, etc. and not so much to the boat itself. i.e. look at the motor--if it's a Mercruiser there is a serial number on top--that's all you need to find replacement parts.

I can't find an image of a Flightcraft open bow in a quick search. There were a lot of one-off custom builds back then compared to what you see today (there are still some each year, but not as many). May or may not make it more or less valuable, just be aware it may not be a catalog boat.

Edited by jk13
  • 2 months later...

I will try the photo bucket.   It is not in the brochure and it is not a mystere.

Dont need parts,  just want to find out the exact model.   

It has a removable teak platform.

Its color scheme is that of many malibus I have seen online.

but the side windows have a different design from the standard Malibu skier.

It is not a close of a Malibu sunsetter either.  They seem bigger.

The bench seat is a low profile

The badges all say flightcraft and the hull id says flight craft,  starts with AF0F.

HOpefully the link to the photobucket works.

It sits low to the water, sounds great,  but the front can be submarined,  I dont like that.

Hull may have been built at a Malibu factory for Flightcraft boats, which was common practice across the industry back then, but it is not a Malibu as you found in the hull#.

Did you check out the thread @footndale linked above? You'll see some info regarding brand cooperation in there.

Very cool boat and gel scheme either way.  Congrats!

7 hours ago, Lanman said:

No step in the hull and the windshield on the Flightcraft is parallel to the ground vs. the tipped back version of the Euro.

Like stated above, it's not a Malibu boat. It's a Flightcraft. Confirmed by @Bigbankj posting up the HIN. Very similar to the Euro line and likely a cooperative effort at the time (read @SmoothWaterMan's write-up in the other thread).

28 minutes ago, Bigbankj said:

I also found an advertisement in waterskier mag,  cool.

That's awesome man. I'm sure it's cool getting to find some print materials and stuff about it.

• 2 years later...

Have a 1989 australian flightcraft 20xl ss open bow! Small block 350.. Fun boat love it. I know malibu bought flightcrafts design in 1990. Put an edelbrock intake hei distributor a qft slayer720cfm carb an a biggier mechnical fuel pump runs like a raped ape! Wonder how many are still around? I dont have a capacity tag never came with the boat thought that was strange.. Dont know how to send a pic from my phone or i would..

Edited by JessM