Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1st Wakesurf Board

BenUrbanski

• 2 weeks later...

My 4.5 yr old wants to surf by himself. I will likely pick up a Scamp for him. He is 48" and 55lbs.

My question to the group is what do you do for ballast on first time kiddos? I'm thinking only wedge and the gate might be enough for him?

Also, do you reduce the speed at all for little ones?

We've had the HL 4'8" and 5'4" since we started surfing in 2010.  My then 9 and 10 year olds used the smaller board, and rode it well.  My 11 year old currently uses it.  Great boards for our little wake and messing around.  Of course, bought 'em with a bag from a TMC member, sweet deal.

On 7/12/2017 at 11:20 AM, Raimie said:

My 4.5 yr old wants to surf by himself. I will likely pick up a Scamp for him. He is 48" and 55lbs.

My question to the group is what do you do for ballast on first time kiddos? I'm thinking only wedge and the gate might be enough for him?

Also, do you reduce the speed at all for little ones?

Let let me know how it goes! I have a same year old girl that surfed with me for the first time last night. Hoping she'll be up for a solo run soon.  I have a gromcast board that my 10 y o loves so should be good for my youngest to grow into. 

Scratch that.  He started deep water starting by himself reliably tonight. :) Yay.  Now to get some photos and a wave for him to start looking at.

• Like 2