Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1st Wakesurf Board

BenUrbanski

Looking to pick up our first wakesurf board that we will learn on and then keep for guests to play on.  Feel like the New Hyperlite Broadcast or Liquid Force Rocket would be good choices. Our boat is a Sunsetter LX, so not a massive wave but definitely surfable.  My Wife is 5'3"/120 and Im 5'10"/180.  Also trying to decide on length as the Broadcast comes in 4'8"/5'4" and the Rocket comes in 4'8"/5'0"/5'4".  Guessing Im going to get some other suggestions as well. Leaning towards the Broadcast in 5'4" right now.  THANKS for the input.

I picked up a Hyperlite Broadcast (5'4") as my first board, and will keep for guests once I get the hang of wake surfing.   It wasnt overly expensive - picked it up at my boat dealer open house.   I expect  s(hope?) that I will quickly grow out of that board, but from what I read, it seems like a good starter board.  Having said that, it still is dry, as my boat is not here yet.    Pretty sure there will be people here with lots of experience that can help.

For context, I am older (57), and wanted something that would be appropriate for friends/family as a learning board. 

The broadcast 54 is the board I learned on. Great starter board, but I found it prone to pearling (read nose dive). For the price I would recommend it if you are looking at a learning board that everyone can use. I still have a fond spot for that board and may end up buying it.

Also may want to consider a transom saver/pad if you want to prevent some dings from new learners. Guilty of that.

6 minutes ago, Nacibound said:

The broadcast 54 is the board I learned on. Great starter board, but I found it prone to pearling (read nose dive). For the price I would recommend it if you are looking at a learning board that everyone can use. I still have a fond spot for that board and may end up buying it.

Also may want to consider a transom saver/pad if you want to prevent some dings from new learners. Guilty of that.

Have been looking for a transom pad, but at least the Malibu Crew one does not seem to be coming back...  Have you found a decent one elsewhere?  Guess I can have a look on Bakes...

EDIT>>>  They do have one : http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=775    

They had a nicer ones with the Malibu logo, but they are all out of stock.    Not finding much else out there...

Edited by JeffC

I learned on the Broadcast 5'4" also, along with all of my friends and family. I am 6'3" 200lbs and I love it. We got a new board this season to progress on but I have a feeling I will still ride the broadcast. I love it!

We have had a wide range of people learn on that board.

My fiance is 5'4" 100lbs, my brothers are between 5'10"-6'1" and weigh between 160-190lbs. My sister is about 5'7" 120lbs. My dad is 65yo and about 6' 250lbs(he struggles a bit), and we have had friends from all height and weight ranges learn on it, both male and female!

We have a 2001 wakesetter VLX so our wave is nothing like some of these guys on here but it is perfect for our level of riding.

We have 400's in the lockers, 2 150's in the bow and a suckgate. Also pretty much always have a boat full of 8-10 people. I would say it's a medium size wave.

Sounds like you have mostly the same setup and height and weights as we do. I would definitely suggest getting the Broadcast! We have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. 

3 hours ago, JeffC said:

Have been looking for a transom pad, but at least the Malibu Crew one does not seem to be coming back...  Have you found a decent one elsewhere?  Guess I can have a look on Bakes...

EDIT>>>  They do have one : http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=775    

They had a nicer ones with the Malibu logo, but they are all out of stock.    Not finding much else out there...

I've had a hard time finding one I like also. The wife has volunteered to make me one. I'll see how it turns out, may or may not have a logo of some kind. I'll have her make a template for measurements when she does it to share.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Nacibound said:

I've had a hard time finding one I like also. The wife has volunteered to make me one. I'll see how it turns out, may or may not have a logo of some kind. I'll have her make a template for measurements when she does it to share.

Interesting... My wife is also a bit of a seamstress (ok, she is actually pretty darn good).  Would love to have the template!

• Like 2

I like the broadcast. My wife at 120lbs used it to learn on and I still use it a bit too at as high as 215 pounds. 

We both moved on to more advanced boards but everyone who visits starts on the broadcast. It isn't going anywhere. 

Wife now has a phase 5 and I have an inland surfer if that matters. For the price I don't think you can beat the larger broadcast. 

Edit: I forgot I once went ropeless with my 60 pound son on my shoulders for a total of ~270 pounds. So if you have pudgy friends you should be ok. 

Edited by 95echelon

Thanks, ya have ridden a Broadcast so was leaning that way,  have heard that new LF boards are good(for price) and really strong.  I would love to go with inland surfer right now, but want something cheap to beat up and for friends to learn on.  Time to order one up with 10% off at wakeworld i guess.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:23 AM, BenUrbanski said:

Looking to pick up our first wakesurf board that we will learn on and then keep for guests to play on.  Feel like the New Hyperlite Broadcast or Liquid Force Rocket would be good choices. Our boat is a Sunsetter LX, so not a massive wave but definitely surfable.  My Wife is 5'3"/120 and Im 5'10"/180.  Also trying to decide on length as the Broadcast comes in 4'8"/5'4" and the Rocket comes in 4'8"/5'0"/5'4".  Guessing Im going to get some other suggestions as well. Leaning towards the Broadcast in 5'4" right now.  THANKS for the input.

The Rocket is a pig. I have one that's been wet twice.

Broadcast or the older CWB Ride is a great cheap Beg/Int board.

3 hours ago, BenUrbanski said:

Thanks, ya have ridden a Broadcast so was leaning that way,  have heard that new LF boards are good(for price) and really strong.  I would love to go with inland surfer right now, but want something cheap to beat up and for friends to learn on.  Time to order one up with 10% off at wakeworld i guess.

Broadcast is the only cheap board I would buy without demoing. It's legitimately well liked. Anything else I would want to spend time on. 

• Like 1

We have the Longer Broadcast - been great for us, but most of us are little bigger than you guys.  I've found with the younger lighter the Broadcast is just too long for them to keep under control as a beginner, switched them to a shorter board and they are all over it now.  So maybe the shorter Broadcast will fit your bill.  It's been durable, and is thin enough to fit in a wake rack - that's a plus to have it out of the way!

Edited by REHinH20

Ya was wondering if 5'4" broadcast would be a bit long; but most people seem to think it isn't. Also think 4'8" might a little small behind DD. 

4 minutes ago, BenUrbanski said:

Ya was wondering if 5'4" broadcast would be a bit long; but most people seem to think it isn't. Also think 4'8" might a little small behind DD. 

If you have a DD do the larger one. 

We learned on a LF fish 4'8 I picked up used for $125. I ordered a Ronix Koal thruster 2 weeks later. I'd check Craigslist for some used boards first to learn how to get up and beginner stuff, balance, weight shifting etc, then move into an intermediate board and grow with it.

I have a 5'4" Broadcast that I'm selling, along with a bag. Just haven't gotten it listed yet. Only a year old, used a handful of times, and always kept in a bag when not on the boat.

Pm me if interested.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, Kojak said:

I have a 5'4" Broadcast that I'm selling, along with a bag. Just haven't gotten it listed yet. Only a year old, used a handful of times, and always kept in a bag when not on the boat.

Pm me if interested.

Pm sent

On 5/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, Kojak said:

Pm me if interested.

Pm sent

Wakehouse has Slingshot Cobra Cats for like 329.00 I think, great board, wife loves it, daughter loves it, I love it but I prefer my Inland Surfer over it.  Lighter than some of cheap boards & surfs very well.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2010 4'9" broadcast that we are "still" all learning on.  Really didn't start trying to focus on surfing until last year.  I am about 210 and it does just fine for me.  Everyone in our group, from 100 lbs to me can do it with that board.

I have actually started to look for a board more suited to my size, but not a lot of resources around here to help me research.

We are one of the few boats on our lake(or at least in our little cove) that actually goes ropeless.  Tubers hate us too!!!  We manage a decent sized wake out of the 2003 vlx.

Just an update now that we have used ours a bit.

Love the board.   I was up on it on my second set of pulls, and it was stable enough for me to try tossing the rope in.  I didnt last long - maybe 15-20 secs before I lost the wave.  I feel like I will have it down fairly quickly.   Im 5'11, and 220. 

My son is 6'0, and was up his first set of pulls.   By his third day (maybe 5 or 6 pulls) he was riding ropeless essentially as long as he wanted.

My middle daughter (maybe 100lbs soaking wet) rode it comfortably as well, she never let go of the rope tho.

Conclusion: Great "boat board" that anyone can ride.  Since I pulled a hamstring this weekend, I may not be moving up THIS year, but I suspect I will have a second more aggressive board some day.

17 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Just an update now that we have used ours a bit.

Love the board.   I was up on it on my second set of pulls, and it was stable enough for me to try tossing the rope in.  I didnt last long - maybe 15-20 secs before I lost the wave.  I feel like I will have it down fairly quickly.   Im 5'11, and 220. 

My son is 6'0, and was up his first set of pulls.   By his third day (maybe 5 or 6 pulls) he was riding ropeless essentially as long as he wanted.

My middle daughter (maybe 100lbs soaking wet) rode it comfortably as well, she never let go of the rope tho.

Conclusion: Great "boat board" that anyone can ride.  Since I pulled a hamstring this weekend, I may not be moving up THIS year, but I suspect I will have a second more aggressive board some day.

Grab a Phase 5 Scamp for your daughter... Here is my 12 year old:

daq7cKG.png

http://www.boardco.com/phase-5-scamp-wakesurf-board

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also looking for a "beginners to intermediate board".  Overton's is selling a CWB Ride Wakesurfer designed for us new guys.  It also claims to be one size fits all. $299.00 includes rope and DVD.