Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

who has skied behind the '07 RLXi?

orwood59

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edwin

• 1morepass

• east tx skier

• VinRLX

probably could have hit 47 with less fuel (full tank), people and gear with the same prop.

Heard someone say if you want inboard (DD) top speed, fill the tank and put three people in the back seat. Never tested it myself, but interesting thought.

My 03 Monsoon RLX runs fairly even with our partner's 95 Corvette PS190. The time I pulled away most decisively was into the wind with my bimini up. Shocking.gif

Hearing that a boat feels underpowered sounds a lot like what I've heard about the 2006 Ski Nautiques compared to their older boats, a symptom that has been attributed to the TBW system on those boats. How did the change to TBW work out on the Malibus? When I drove an 05 197 (first year of TBW on those boats), my first impression was that it didn't give me the driver feedback I was used to in my older boat (couldn't feel the rpms in my hand so to speak). In other words, I didn't know if I was dragging the skier out of the hole or ripping his arms off. How did the 06s feel out of the hole for Malibu? I haven't had the oppotunity to drive one yet.

Hearing that a boat feels underpowered sounds a lot like what I've heard about the 2006 Ski Nautiques compared to their older boats, a symptom that has been attributed to the TBW system on those boats. How did the change to TBW work out on the Malibus? When I drove an 05 197 (first year of TBW on those boats), my first impression was that it didn't give me the driver feedback I was used to in my older boat (couldn't feel the rpms in my hand so to speak). In other words, I didn't know if I was dragging the skier out of the hole or ripping his arms off. How did the 06s feel out of the hole for Malibu? I haven't had the oppotunity to drive one yet.

What I know is that I've got an '03 RLXi as my personal boat as a reference. I've driven 4 different 06 RLXi and 2 of them are pretty soft on hole shot and the other 2 sound soft but dont' have any trouble pulling me up. They all sound skittish to me while pulling a skier at 34 and 36, meaning that they never settle in on a rpm, they are also searching up and down 10-20 rpm, this rpm is more than the switch value I use. When my old school '03 gets to baseline it starts to remove rpm and then it settles out and doesn't move. I've had some good score behind the 06 but not any great scores- my recent knee surgery probably has mor eto do with this than the boat.

Lastely, I 've now driven several of all the 06 line up and they ALL do the same thing, 196 and 197 are still skittish.

What I know is that I've got an '03 RLXi as my personal boat as a reference. I've driven 4 different 06 RLXi and 2 of them are pretty soft on hole shot and the other 2 sound soft but dont' have any trouble pulling me up. They all sound skittish to me while pulling a skier at 34 and 36, meaning that they never settle in on a rpm, they are also searching up and down 10-20 rpm, this rpm is more than the switch value I use. When my old school '03 gets to baseline it starts to remove rpm and then it settles out and doesn't move. I've had some good score behind the 06 but not any great scores- my recent knee surgery probably has mor eto do with this than the boat.

Lastely, I 've now driven several of all the 06 line up and they ALL do the same thing, 196 and 197 are still skittish.

Sounds like a more minor version of the problem they had with the MCs last year warranting 12 or whatever it was Perfect Pass updates. I think the one I drove was on V. 11. Perfect Pass locked in and held well even going around the turn island. Whether or not it was hunting within 10-20 rpm, I don't know. I'm lucky if I remember to adjust the crew weight before jumping in the water most of the time. :blush:

I don't know if I'm ready for steering by wire yet. Shocking.gif

Edited by east tx skier
I just read this whole thing from the beginning and can't figure out what the differences could be in these boats. I have a 2005 RLXi that I propped up to the Acme #425 (13x13) because the holeshot was too abrupt for the beginner skiers I was working with. It goes like a bat out of he%& with that prop (the 13x13), scores a 50.4mph on the gps and has none of the performance anomalies discussed above. There is nothing special about it except that I had it built without mufflers. Well that, and I operate close to sea level pressure altitude all the time. I have also noted that there is not a single bad line length from 15 through 35 off. Nothing seems to change, full tank, half a tank, quarter of a tank, 4 people, 1 person, it just stays the same. This being the only RLXi I've skied behind you can see why I might be skeptical about "30% improved" claims. Of note, I'm the one refered to twice in previous posts (Propped up) & (Claimed the '03-'05 were going to increase in value). It was just a prediction based on a hunch and what I read, no hard data.

Have any of you people with the slower or slow-out-of-the-hole boats had your base timing number checked? It only takes a few degrees of base timing (retarded) to do what some of you'all are complaining about.

All my experience has been at an altitude of 4900' or higher. None are my boats and so I haven't checked timing- all are new though.

OK I just got the boat back from the dealer and went directly to the lake. With the new prop the hole shot is great (subjective) and the top speed is 47.8 @5000. I am now ok with the power issue.

I am puzzled about the wake as it now seems softer also. I did not ski as I was alone, but the boat as it was originaly equipped had a wake with a 8-12" rooster tail right in the middle at 15 off line length. Now that rooster tale is gone and the wake seems flater also. Is this possible?

Anyway, all the problems seem to be better. Except maybe the orca whale thing

...and, any was that really a 13x12 on there from the get go? seems to me that the 340 Monsoon would spin the 13x12 just fine. your 4500 rpm at WOT makes me believe it was a much taller prop.

glad to hear Shamu is improving....

Edited by edwin
...and, any was that really a 13x12 on there from the get go? seems to me that the 340 Monsoon would spin the 13x12 just fine. your 4500 rpm at WOT makes me believe it was a much taller prop.

glad to hear Shamu is improving....

Not only was it a 13/12, but I ordered and just recieved today a spare from Acme, I am going to see if they will trade it for what I have now.

As far as what I have now, I will look tomorrow and post. It is smaller diameter and more aggressive pitch.

My friend has ordered the identical boat with a delivery date of next week. I am anxious to see if his performs as mine did.

It is smaller diameter and more aggressive pitch.

That is odd. I thought 13" was the standard diameter for dd Bu's. I would bet you didn't have a 13X12 to begin with. Was it 3 or 4 blades?

That is odd. I thought 13" was the standard diameter for dd Bu's. I would bet you didn't have a 13X12 to begin with. Was it 3 or 4 blades?

Three. Says 13 12 righ on it

Three. Says 13 12 righ on it

Mislabeled, maybe?

Or a less aggressive cup. Bill Weeks proved to me that he can make a 13"x13" produce rpm/speed numbers more like a 13"x14" by changing the cup depth and area. Of course it works both ways.

Does anyone know the story behind why they would reduce the prop diameter? Different boat/prop manufacturer, but my father in law ordered a new prop for his 98 PS 205 from OJ and they sent him a 12.5x12.5 4 blade XMP. He called them just to be sure it wasn't a mistake and they said that's what they were recommending for his boat.

When I got my 3 blade Acme, like many, I dropped pitch (13x12 #541), but why decrease diameter?

Does anyone know the story behind why they would reduce the prop diameter? Different boat/prop manufacturer, but my father in law ordered a new prop for his 98 PS 205 from OJ and they sent him a 12.5x12.5 4 blade XMP. He called them just to be sure it wasn't a mistake and they said that's what they were recommending for his boat.

Back when the XMP came out, there were a handful of folks that did back to back testing of the XMP vs ACME props. One thing that we saw was the Monsoon 320 and 325hp versions not being able to spin the XMP to max rpms. This was the case on my SLXi / 325 Monsoon. I couldn't spin the 13x12 XMP past 4700 rpms. Worked with Eric Johnson at OJ, he took 1/4" of diameter out of mine to help it spin a bit more on the top end. I didn't notice a performance in any way, just had the rpms bumped closer to the 100rpm for each 1mph that's fairly standard for DD's. Ended up with WOT of apprx 4950 rpms.

I love the XMP 13x12 w. 1/4" diameter removed on my 05 RLXi...spins WOT to 5050rpms, softer wakes and a slightly softer pull than the ACME.

Back when the XMP came out, there were a handful of folks that did back to back testing of the XMP vs ACME props. One thing that we saw was the Monsoon 320 and 325hp versions not being able to spin the XMP to max rpms. This was the case on my SLXi / 325 Monsoon. I couldn't spin the 13x12 XMP past 4700 rpms. Worked with Eric Johnson at OJ, he took 1/4" of diameter out of mine to help it spin a bit more on the top end. I didn't notice a performance in any way, just had the rpms bumped closer to the 100rpm for each 1mph that's fairly standard for DD's. Ended up with WOT of apprx 4950 rpms.

I love the XMP 13x12 w. 1/4" diameter removed on my 05 RLXi...spins WOT to 5050rpms, softer wakes and a slightly softer pull than the ACME.

Thanks for the explanation. I did some comparing of the XMP 3 blade versus my Acme 3 blade (both 13x12). I recall the XMP having a bit softer pull, but don't remember much difference in the wake. It's been a while though. Thanks again.

Edwina, You need softer wakes on that RLXi. Tongue.gif

Just thought I'd liven this up a bit.

Listen up Cupcake...one thing I didn't mention about the OJ was that it's smooth as silk. Can you say that about your vibrating 196? Surprised.gif

Listen up Cupcake...one thing I didn't mention about the OJ was that it's smooth as silk. Can you say that about your vibrating 196? Surprised.gif

Paris, uhhh, my wife, likes it that way.

Uhhh, I think we need to get back on track boys. I don't want to have to read about Tracie opening the can of whoop a$$ over the two of youse guys.

Surprised.gif

Paris, uhhh, my wife, likes it that way.

I wouldn't mind seeing the ladies in Edwin's avatar go at it with a vibrating 196 Drool.gif