Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

who has skied behind the '07 RLXi?

orwood59

I would like to read first hand comments from someone who has skied and or barefooted behind the 07' RLXi. I don't want to see the pictures, read the PR or hear the chatter about 30% better. I want to hear from a real skier(s) who have been behind the boat.

thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edwin

• 1morepass

• east tx skier

• VinRLX

I would like to read first hand comments from someone who has skied and or barefooted behind the 07' RLXi. I don't want to see the pictures, read the PR or hear the chatter about 30% better. I want to hear from a real skier(s) who have been behind the boat.

thanks.

dont think you will get anyone on here for another month or so at least, id find out who some of your local bu promo boat owners are and asking when they are getting their new 07's.. that will be your best bet

Drew Ross Ski Academy has 07 RLXi as a ski school boat. Have not been down there yet (next month hopefully), but I am sure many others have?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks.

I have just bought a 2007 Lxi, and my observations are as follows:

1: My son's 1999 Sunsetter and this boat have an almost identical wake at 32mph

2: My Monsoon engine (340 HP) has less power than the above boat. The dealer has installed a new prop, and I have yet to try. Top speed before I took to dealer was 42 @ 4500 rpm. No power at take off either.

3: The boat handles like a sports car. Very light steering, flat at speed. I have the quiet package, and it is much quieter than my previous boat. ( 2000 Sunsetter LXI).

4: Interior is first class and very sports car feeling. Exterior graphic scheme leaves me cold. Have had the boat for 3 weeks now, and the view from the rear and side is ok, front view looks like an Orca Whale charging down the course.

5: I am unhappy with the power and wake as this is an exclusive ski boat, am thinking about a Ski Natique.

1more,

Were you at Gary's barbeque at Lake Billy a couple of weekends ago with the blue RLXI that everyone was drooling over?

yes-and although I like Gary and family very much, I am somewhat suprised at Malibu's marketing strategy. I wanted to buy the LX, but was talked out of it from the dealer to the factory. Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice boat, the finish, fit, and handling are out of this world. The problem for me is I wanted a "ski boat", and I think the factory is trying to sell a "family boat". This boat is very much like the sunsetter I replaced it with, and the wakes are almost the same. The story I heard was that the wakes were 30% better, I think that must be a subjective comment (30% better than what?).

1morepass, how does a boat with more HP and less weight then feel less powerful? Not saying your wrong, just wondering???

I think there may be something needing looking at on this boat. This boat has cataliytic converters, the first out, I don't know if that contributes. Simply, the boat only went 42 mph at 4500 rpm with 15 hours on it. The prop was a Acme 13-12 the same as the Sunsetter I had. Hole shot had every skier asking for more power.

Maybe the boat needs more hours. Like I said, the dealer has installed a new prop/ will try it tormmorow.

Hard to believe they would need to prop it down from a 13x12 to what I presume would be a 13x11.5. Heck, haven't some of the RLXi guys on here actually prop'd up to a 13x12.5 to smooth things out a bit?

Makes you wonder since the promo boats will probably all be 13x12 and that's what I'm guessing they would be certified with.

Mike

My daughter and I will be skiing behind Chris Parrish's 07 Response on Sept. 5, 2006. We normally ski on my 00 SS lxi. I love the wake on the Sunsetter. I will report back, but I am also a hack. I will have to ask the 10 year old daughter what she thinks and report her comments as well.

thanks.

I have just bought a 2007 Lxi, and my observations are as follows:

1: My son's 1999 Sunsetter and this boat have an almost identical wake at 32mph

2: My Monsoon engine (340 HP) has less power than the above boat. The dealer has installed a new prop, and I have yet to try. Top speed before I took to dealer was 42 @ 4500 rpm. No power at take off either.

3: The boat handles like a sports car. Very light steering, flat at speed. I have the quiet package, and it is much quieter than my previous boat. ( 2000 Sunsetter LXI).

4: Interior is first class and very sports car feeling. Exterior graphic scheme leaves me cold. Have had the boat for 3 weeks now, and the view from the rear and side is ok, front view looks like an Orca Whale charging down the course.

5: I am unhappy with the power and wake as this is an exclusive ski boat, am thinking about a Ski Natique.

Thanks for the evaluation. I too have been wondering about an older Rlxi or waiting on the new one. There are too few photos and no ispec. Could you post some photos, especially sitting in the water since there are none that I have seen that have been taken at water level, only from above looking down on it.

Thanks for the evaluation. I too have been wondering about an older Rlxi or waiting on the new one. There are too few photos and no ispec. Could you post some photos, especially sitting in the water since there are none that I have seen that have been taken at water level, only from above looking down on it.

Here are two pics of the 2007 RLXi "resting".

It's not a perfect angle though but they might give you an idea of how the boat sits in the water.

ResponseLXi_3.jpg

ResponseLXi_SE_4.jpg

100_1084-1.jpg

100-1089.jpg

Hopefully we're not heading down the path of the 98/99 MC Prostar 190. Trying to make a good thing better and making a mess of it. I'm hearing a lot of mixed reviews! :(

As someone said a while back, I'm holding on to my '05 Rlxi. I think it will be going up in value. As far as top speed, I hit a little over 46 mph the other day with a gps into the wind (Monsoon) and probably could have hit 47 with less fuel (full tank), people and gear with the same prop. 5 mph seems like something is wrong, unless the catalytic converters are robbing more power than Indmar lets on.

I also don't like the look of the front of the boat or the windshield.

The windshield and the sharp angles on the bow make it look like an armored vehicle. Maybe there's a market for servicing ATMs on the lake by boat. That windshield looks a little like the original Malibu Skiers too.

Now I'm going to preface this this with "I am not a skier"

We had a chance to drive a test mule (that orange and tan one) this past week.

Someone in our group did ski it, and said the wake was indeed better, he also said that the wake was dramatically improved at line lengths longer than 22 off. Again I didn't ski it

We showed 48mph on GPS, that thing FELT faster than the predecessor

I am 200lbs, I got in the bow and had the driver take it up to 20 and then slow down to a stop, nowhere near swamping that thing Yahoo.gif

The rough water ride is improved, the interior is amazing, the windshield.... it looked okay, The chrome bars in the gunnels, looked nice, but i want the netting back

1morepass, how does a boat with more HP and less weight then feel less powerful? Not saying your wrong, just wondering???

I think there may be something needing looking at on this boat. This boat has cataliytic converters, the first out, I don't know if that contributes. Simply, the boat only went 42 mph at 4500 rpm with 15 hours on it. The prop was a Acme 13-12 the same as the Sunsetter I had. Hole shot had every skier asking for more power.

Maybe the boat needs more hours. Like I said, the dealer has installed a new prop/ will try it tormmorow.

I would use a GPS to get a true speed. The speedo may not be right.