Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

School me on batteries

surfdude

So my 15 LSV came with 2 marine 1000 cca batteries. I have 2 sets of 8" Rockfords on a p600 and 2 sets of 6" Rockfords running off a p400 from the factory. The rev10's and the t1 Rockford sub run off a sd6 wetsound amp. I noticed I can only run this about 5 minutes before I'm down to 10.9 volts in the garage. Do I need different batteries? Am I loosing sq, and output because of these batteries? What should I buy that won't break the bank?

Edited by surfdude

1) what voltage are the batteries at to start with? Are they already in the whole, when you start playing the system or are they showing to be near full charger? 2) dont trust a helm gauge when diagnosing a voltage issue. Take volt meter and go right to the source.  

Both been charged for a day, starting at 12 volts. The boat was a holdover and I bought it new last year, so the batteries are only a year old.

A battery static voltage of 12V is 75% depleted from the word go. But again, you cant rely on what the gauge states, need to know what the voltage is right at the battery. Even worse if it was fresh off a charger. Lets presume the dealer dropped those batteries in when he rigged the boat. Then it sat unsold how long? Over a winter and likely low due to lack of use. I think you may have one or two batteries that are marginal at best. 

I have a load tester at work. I will bring that home and test them tonight. What replacement batt do you recommend? Yes the boat did sit for a year and a half before it was sold. I used it one year.

Edited by surfdude

is it one of those toaster-testers with the heater grid? if so, dont bother on a battery thats not even reaching full charger. We expect it to fail. That means of a load test, only works on a battery that can reach a reasonable full charge taking into account age and use. A year old battery at 12V us not charged or bad and cant reach full charge. Dont need aload test to prove that. 

I've had a lot of luck with Duralast marine batteries. As you may know, marine batteries are somewhat of a hybrid between a tradition CCA battery and a "house" battery designed to provide lots of AH. Like any hybrid it's not great at either job, but it works well in your scenario.

My recommendation is to always get the biggest marine battery you can fit in your trays. Expect to get just two or theee seasons out of the batteries, maybe four if your lucky. You can go with fancy/expensive gel batteries but duralast has always been a good value for me.

i do have a friend with lithium-ion batteries in his bass boat. Cost like $5k to set up so there's always that option. ;)

23 hours ago, surfdude said:

Ok, thanks! What battery do you recommend?

Cheap, easy to find, and as good as any.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-29DC-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery/131118029

If you want to mount sideways or something then.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Platinum-EverStart-AGM-H8-Battery/40647529

• Like 2