Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Control Problem

I am having a speed control issue with my 2014 Malibu 22 MXZ.  I have had it in several shops and have been told that it is either operator error or due to the fact that it has a factory super charged motor.  Neither answer is satisfactory.  The speed control works in ideally managed conditions, but just in practice of pulling with sacs loaded and a boat full of people it does not.  It is virtually impossible to get the system to maintain speed for a wake boarder and with a lot of operator effort, I can somewhat make it work with wake surf mode.  However, I believe that the system does report speed accurately.  The problem is I believe there is a delay in the reporting of that speed both to the speed gauge and to the speed control system.  One of the attached videos I believe illustrates the delay and the other video is to illustrate the problem with the speed control.  I used a speedometer app on my phone. (which uses the phone gps)  The actual speed of the boat is reported with approximately a 3 second delay and I believe that this is the problem.  The question is how to fix it.

Although it has been pointed out to me that the video does show that the throttle setting is not in range, I have otherwise tried to manage the throttle without success.  I hope to get the boat out in the next couple of weeks and try it out and make a new video illustrating how no matter what you do with the throttle the boat still will not go to speed efficiently or hold speed reliably / functionally. 

Illustrates speed delay: https://vimeo.com/211687411

Illustrates speed control: https://vimeo.com/211685810

Didn't watch the videos, but I don't think I need to as I experienced a similar problem.  Unfortunately for you, I have to agree with the shops.  We "fixed" it by not using as much throttle (keeping it on the lower end of the speed control limit).  We have more issues when the boat is not sacked out for beginners as the prop we use is set up for sacked out riding.  We "only" have the 409, but with our prop set up we can pull anything we need. Try not to drop the throttle when pulling- it should help.  Good luck!

Edit:

We use the paddle wheel because we are on a river.  Are you using GPS or paddle wheel? Paddle wheel/current will also cause the speed delay issue.

Edited by hunter77ah
Thinking more about problem

Thanks for the feedback hunter77ah!  I am using a paddle wheel.  Normally there is no current where we typically ski and definitely not with the test.  I believe I will go to another system before I stay with this one and these results, which will mean I am extremely dissatisfied with Malibu. It seems that correcting the delay would fix it and I just do not know how that can be done.  I have read many blogs, tired to follow instruction in manual.  I tried everything I could imagine besides to get it to work satisfactorily and just could not do it.  On the master craft and Nautique's I have been accustom to throttling up slow, not to jerk rope out of riders hands, and then just push the throttle past required throttle, as I am accustom, to get to speed and the boat/system does the rest.  I can see the benefit of needed extra throttle in certain circumstance, or less even, but the system has to work reasonably well otherwise to make that anywhere near satisfactory. I basically have had to manage they system.  I can get it to work well enough that it is a benefit above no system, but it is nerve racking when you are trying to enjoy the moment or teach a skier how to ski.  I am going to have a tech go with me at the beginning of the season under working conditions to see if I can be trained, but I am still interested to hear if anyone has found a fix.  I would be inclined to install a new paddle wheel or GPS system, but I really do not think that is the problem as the system seems to report an accurate speed, it is just delayed several seconds.

• 1 year later...

Just an update on this post for others who might have a similar problem.  Somehow after the winter shut down of the boat, the speed control system has started working normally except now when I switch between surf and wake(even if select "Go Home" first, ride a while, and then back to the opposite setting), it starts back with the delayed response.  It was not the paddle wheel or the operator.  It is  a repeatable problem now and I guess I will eventually get it to the shop to see now if they can fix it.  I do not know of a shop reliable enough to waste my time with it however.   I figured out that if I power the boat down and kill the battery usually it comes back up and works correctly on the opposite system.  Sometimes it takes multiple resets.  Anybody know a reliable Malibu service tech that can fix something like this near Mississippi? 

I also am having problems with the touch screen randomly not working correctly.  If I power down and back up it usually starts back working.  Usually this happens multiple times per outing and can be a little dangerous if you are floating and something happens where you need to start and maneuver the boat quickly.  I wonder if I need a new screen or what?

I wish Malibu would take some responsibility.  I am amazed that they can sell these boats for the prices they do and still not tend to problems like this.