Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 23 lsv prop

Gavin17

I'm finally adding ballast to surf. Last season was our first w the Malibu and we were too busy wakeboarding to bother learning to surf.  I'm guessing I'm going to want to prop down.  

For cruising and wakeboarding the stock 537 prop has been fine. I've even pulled riders with 12 passengers In the boat and had plenty of power. Since sometimes we cruise on big lakes and ski I don't want too low of a pitch. We always boat at sea level. 

Does anyone know the top speed I should have with a 2277 or 1273 prop?

Boat is 2004 23 lsv, 1:1 trans, monsoon 340

Current top speed is about 43.

6 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

I'm finally adding ballast to surf. Last season was our first w the Malibu and we were too busy wakeboarding to bother learning to surf.  I'm guessing I'm going to want to prop down.  

For cruising and wakeboarding the stock 537 prop has been fine. I've even pulled riders with 12 passengers In the boat and had plenty of power. Since sometimes we cruise on big lakes and ski I don't want too low of a pitch. We always boat at sea level. 

Does anyone know the top speed I should have with a 2277 or 1273 prop?

Boat is 2004 23 lsv, 1:1 trans, monsoon 340

Current top speed is about 43.

Just curious, how much ballast are you adding?

You should have a 1.5 to 1 trans. I don't think a 2277 is hpgoing to work at all since it's meant for the newer ratios. Sounds like you're propped pretty well right now. See how it surfs before making a change.

I thought the tag on the trans said 1:1 I'll double check. 

I'm replacing the rear tanks with 820 lb bags and adding a bow sack for maybe 600 lbs. 

I was going to start there with a suck gate and see how the wave is. 

2004 LSV as well.

I used Wakemakers tank buster kit and replaced the rear hard tanks is mine as well, 2X 900's.

Factory center, 500.

Factory bow, 250.  Additional bow 375, lead 30.

Suckgate.

This throws a pretty decent surf wave to go ropeless. I plan on adding some more lead to the bow since it likes more weight up there to get a longer pocket.  Don't always have enough voice activated ballast to move to the bow.  

I did upgrade to a floating wedge at the end on the season last year and haven't had a chance to really dial it in.  

As for prop I have the OJ Z5, 5 balde.  For us and the boat it does really well, never have had a lack of power to get on plane.  Cruises with less RPM than the stock 537.  OJ quit making them so finding one can be tricky.  Sometimes the classified section or ebay.    

ACME 1235 is the goto prop for the Monsoon 340.  You'll loose about 1 or 2 mph vs the 537 and gain loads of push for surfing.

Here are my notes before and after switching from a 537 to a 1235.  Note the lower rpm for the 1235 when surfing.  Less slip.

0723161517_resized.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's the exact info I was looking for!  If you only lost 2mph I'd be fine with that.  Cruising and skiing at 35mph is nice and I didn't want to have to WOT to get there.  Most prop threads are about surfing only and we use our boat for a bit of everything.

The 1235 is the same pitch and diameter as 1273.  They are both 14.5" x 14.25"

1235 cup is .015"

1273 cup is .150"  

How will more or less cup affect the boat?

Edit copied from wakemakers: Acme 1273 Prop - This prop is very similar to the Acme 1235 but has a little more cup delivering a couple more miles per hour on the top end and a little less aggressive bite out of the hole.

Edited by Gavin17

I'm also curious to see what you do because I am looking to buy one of those props for surfing this year.

Do you guys think its important to have gps cruise control to hold that low speed for surfing? I'm undecided about installing it

Edited by jaciche
added content
25 minutes ago, jaciche said:

Do you guys think its important to have gps cruise control to hold that low speed for surfing? I'm undecided about installing it

Short answer: YES

Paddle wheel does not do well at low speed.  Unless you're on a river get the GPS.

It looks like a 15" prop will fit on my boat.  I was avoiding them because I thought I'd lose some top end but the more I read the more the 15" props are recommended.  All 3 props on the wake makers prop finder are 15".  

I guess I'll call ACME tomorrow and see what they say.  

I have a feeling I'd be really happy with the 1235 or 1273 and since they're so similar I may not know the difference unless testing back to back.  

I talked to Acme and they said stick with the 1235 for pushing a lot of weight.  Or if I can fit the 15" do the 2249 which is 15" x 14.25".  I think the 15" would put me uncomfortably close to the trailer guard (and the hull) plus the 15" props are more expensive.  I'd still love to try the 1273 but will probably buy the tried and true 1235.

• 4 years later...

Great thread here guys.

My 2004 Wakesetter 23LSV has:

Factory bow: 350 lbs.

Factory center: 500 lbs.

Factory rear: 400 lbs.

Fat Sacs rear: 800 lbs.

Wedge: 800 lbs.

Total: 2,850 lbs.

Adding: Go Surf Assist Tabs

Currently the Acme Marine website recommends the: 1615 for a large wake on my boat.

1615:

14.50” x 13.75” pitch 

Cup: 0.105”

Before I purchase, anyone have any experience running this prop?

I have an 07 23 LSV and run a 1235 Acme.  Last season I added the GSA and it took a few outings to get the perfect wave.  I run the rear hard tanks full and the center 2 tanks full.  I have 850 Summo bags I run full in each rear locker.  I then have about 300 pounds of lead in 50 pound bags that I move around.  I found speed and the power wedge to make the biggest difference in the shape and push of the surf wave.  

I had the 2004 23LSV and the acme 2315 prop is the absolute best heavy ballast prop for it.  Better than the 1235 by a good amount.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...