Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Tower

I am a new 2011 VTX owner. When I fold my G# tower I note that it seems to hit the lower mounts digging in is there an adjustment somewhere for clearance

can someone post a picture of the point where the chrome tube meets the white (or black) lower mount that can show the position of the screw Eye?? in there

Thanks

There is a heim joint screwed into an internal tower pivot plate inside the 3" tower legs that the assembly rotates on, on 2 axis. The lower inboard 5/16" Allen bolts are the pivot point bolts. To adjust it, raise the tower and otherwise secure it in the raised position. Unscrew the 3/32" Allen screw (upper tower strut pivot point bolt(s) between the 2 Phillips head screws on the little plate inboard and above the tower retention knobs (if so equipped) or tower retention Allen bolts.  This may be a little hard to unscrew if the threads of the Allen bolt are making contact with the upper tower strut heim joint(s). The strut will rattle around in the base after you pull that bolt. Then remove the 2 Phillips head plate screws from that plate, it should fall off. (Caution: if you remove the 2 Phillips head screws before the Allen pivot bolt, you may mess up the threads in the aluminum tower base) Reassembly of this piece might be a little tricky if there was pressure on the Allen pivot bolt when you disassembled it. Lower the tower on to a pedestal of some sort. I have a PVC stand and base I made for mine to get it in and out of my 8' garage door, but a 2x4 will work so long as it wont slip out from under the tower. You can now pull the lower Allen pivot bolt from the 3" tower leg which will allow you to raise the tower off of the tower base pivot point (the flex in the tower gave me plenty of room to work on mine YRMV). Then screw out the heim joint a turn or 2. It took me multiple tries to disassemble and reassemble this piece to get an even gap between both sides and multiple... attempts to get the correct preload on the tower struts so the struts would not rattle around like a BB in a tin can when the tower was in the raised position. The struts are unloaded in the raised position! If you tower struts barely hold or won't hold the tower in the up position I would highly recommend replacing them with the 275lb option like I did. Probably one of the best upgrades I have done! Shoot me a PM if you to discuss it in more detail. Bill