Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OJ 948 Prop or Acme 1235 Prop

marlinfield

Been reading a lot about the acme 1235 Prop on here. Not as much info available on the OJ 948.

anyone have any experience with both of these? What are the benefits of each? In Canadian dollars the OJ 948 would be around $1,000 where I can find a good used Acme 1235 for $500.

have a 2005 VLX with 900lbs stock ballast and 2x 650 plumbed in the back and a 600 plumbed in the front. Surf 90% of the time with 10% wakeboard and odd time tubing. Run at 1,250' above sea level. Surf with the wedge down and a walk shaper on the side of the boat.

This is out of my relm but from what i read, the oj 948 prop would do you better than the acme 1235. Larger diameter so you get more bite and better pulling when loaded. Lower rpm by about 200 across the   speed range, Holeshot or 0-30 time would be pretty much the same for the two props. I have no experience with your setup or those props. This is just the conclusion i come to in comparing the two. 

Can't go wrong with the 1235 for your set up & elevation.  I have not tried the OJ but ran the 1235 for several years & it worked perfect on my VLX.

The OJ's mentioned are 15" props.  The 1235 is a 14.5" prop.  Acme makes a lot of 15" props as well.  If you have room to fit a 15" is there any reason not to run one.  Do they have more drag and lower your top speed? 

I have a 15" on my 05 VLX. I got the 2419 monster. I only miss the top end when I travel. On my home lake I don't mind losing the top end and even with 4k+ ballast it never skips a beat. It's a torque monster. I would get the 2247 if i did it again (same pitch as the 1235 but 15") since so many have success on the monsoon 340 with the 1235.

Can't beat OJ's trade in program though. But the fact remains that if you can fit 15 you should do it.

On 5/3/2017 at 4:40 PM, 95echelon said:

I have a 15" on my 05 VLX. I got the 2419 monster. I only miss the top end when I travel. On my home lake I don't mind losing the top end and even with 4k+ ballast it never skips a beat. It's a torque monster. I would get the 2247 if i did it again (same pitch as the 1235 but 15") since so many have success on the monsoon 340 with the 1235.

Can't beat OJ's trade in program though. But the fact remains that if you can fit 15 you should do it.

I talked to the guys at Acme today and they said the same thing.  Get a 15 if you can fit it.  Apparently there really isn't much of a downside to the larger diameter even on the top end. 

Edited by Gavin17

Thanks guys, I went with a 1235 for now because it was a slightly used one for only $300 canadian which cant be beat. Hopefully can try it out this weekend.

Might try it out and look at 15" later this summer as well

3 minutes ago, marlinfield said:

Thanks guys, I went with a 1235 for now because it was a slightly used one for only $300 canadian which cant be beat. Hopefully can try it out this weekend.

Might try it out and look at 15" later this summer as well

I did the same.  The 15" is a tight fit and more expensive.   There are a few other props I'd love to try but the 1235 seems to be the gold standard.  If I don't like it I can sell it easily.