Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Cleaning Product

I just purchased a 2003 VLX and I love the boat, it's in great condition. It is black and when its wet it looks real good but when its dry you can see all the oxidation and fading. Looking for an opinion of what the best product is  to clean it up and get the gel coat looking good again? I want to clean it up real good and wax it before the season starts up in full. 

25 minutes ago, JMeyer said:

I just purchased a 2003 VLX and I love the boat, it's in great condition. It is black and when its wet it looks real good but when its dry you can see all the oxidation and fading. Looking for an opinion of what the best product is  to clean it up and get the gel coat looking good again? I want to clean it up real good and wax it before the season starts up in full. 

Hi,

Just bought a 99 VLX with a black hull that looked terrible - badly oxidized.  Started with 3M Marine Fibreglass Restorer & Wax  and an orbital automotive polisher.  Almost no improvement - ended up wet sanding with 1000 and then 2000 and then using the 3M with the using the orbital polisher - better but not perfect THEN I switched to a variable speed 6" polisher (like what you would buy at harbor freight) with lambswool pads and the 3M and wow - what a difference.  Almost looks like new.  I will have redo a few spots that are really bad with 600, 1000 and 2000 and then the 3M.

Go slow 3000-3500 rpm and keep it moving so you do not burn the gelcoat.

Mike

Yea that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go to that extreme of a solution. I will pry do like you did and start with simple and move up in procedures. The boat is horrible but just enough to irritate me when it's sitting on the trailer and I know how good it can look.

I wouldn't even bother with the orbital polisher.  If you're going to do your own work you will definitely want a good variable speed polisher.  It is the only way to go.  Based on a lot of feedback on this site, I ended up getting this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9227C-7-Inch-Electronic-Polisher/dp/B0000223IZ.  I bought a used one on Ebay.  They are really high quality, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one.  

+1 for the variable speed from Harbor Freight.  I think mine has paid for itself 10 times over.  3M cutting compound with a cutting pad (orange at Har. Freight).  3M Finesse It with a finishing pad (Black at HF).  Wax.  Work SMALL areas at a fairly low speed and don't let the product dry out on the gelcoat.  Worst case scenario, you could rent one from Sunbelt or a similar tool rental place.  Buy the pads and compound/polish.  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this thread:    

...@Ibelonginprison made a believer out of me.  FG400 compound on a purple wool pad from Lake Country/ variable speed polisher as mentioned, followed by Jescar sealant for the win!

Also bought a 29.99 Harbor Freight special...worked fine and if you are only doing your boat once a season it should in theory last a long time.  If you are doing it for a living pick up a nice one.

Post a picture of what you are working with...

formulaben

There's plenty on here and elsewhere about a full "cut and polish".  Trust me, although it is hard work and a real buffer is costly, it is worth the investment.  Your boat will look like new and you'll be very glad you did it.

Did an acid wash and some good wax and elbow grease and the thing looks brand new. I would love to upload some photos so you guys could see but I can't figure out how to do that on my phone.