Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Specification/Charging/Chargers

Hello All,

With regards to,....2015 22VLX Wakesetter, Indmar Monsoon 350 SS Engine

Batteries,......here we go.   In the process of looking for a battery Charger for my dual battery setup, and in doing so, I discovered the following:  

Dealer Supplied Batteries:  2- Deka Marine Masters Deep Cycle/Starting (by EastPenn), Part No. DP24,  550 CCAmps, 675 MCAmps, 140min@23Amps, 120mins@25Amps, 20 hour cap is 65, core value 1.0,....................Spec to Note is 550 Cold Cranking Amps

Indmar Engine specifications:  Minimum Battery Cold Cranking Amp Requirement - 650 CCAmps

Questions:  

1)  So for a year or more I've been starting the engine with 1 battery/550 CCAmps.  Am I ruining the engine, or maybe at least just the alternator by doing this being 100 CCAmps underspec?

2) Assuming this would be the solution without changing out the batteries,.....Should I have been starting the engine with battery switch set on both batteries?

3) What type of battery charger would you suggest? I've been told "smart batteries" a must for these batteries in order to make sure you do not overcharge.

Guess I should have checked in the beginning to see what type of battery the dealer supplied with the boat, or should I have known to have the switch to both 1 and 2 when starting.

Does sound kinda under powered. Will be interesting to hear replies. Not ruining engine. But, I could see starting would be attempting a big current draw on the smaller battery. Possibly making the starter struggle to get power. I dont think it would hurt the alternator. It might work less to fill the smaller capacity.

I'd also be interested to know the cable gauge used in your boat.

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
mistake

Do you boat in the winter? If not, I would not worry about the battery to indmar spec difference, especially if you get an on board charger. And no, you dont need to be starting on BOTH. That battery spec and indmar recommendation have nothing to do with the alternator, so no worries there.

Yes, you want a multi stage smart marine charger as to the type. Dual bank for sure. Amp output, 10% of the total Ah is a good rule of thumb.   

• Like 2