Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floe Maxis Canopy

sidekicknicholas

10 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

So I re-priced everything and I'm torn ... I've ruled out that "basic" canopy since our 04' tower doesn't go down easy.

Extra length side curtains + 5k VSD lift = $1950 OTD price after my trade

Maxis canopy + 5k VSD lift = $2600 OTD after my trade

..... $600 is probably worth it, that does also buy a lot of gas.

You sure you're gonna be happy with 5K capacity?  If you ever upgrade your LSV, you will probably be over the capacity with just fuel

I'm too poor to upgrade for a long while... and my wife wants kids soon, so my guess is all new toy buying for me gets put on hold for quite some time.

Boat dry is like 3400#, with gas and gear I figure that adds another 1000# or so (500# from fluids, 500# from speakers, boards, etc etc etc.  600# to spare to its advertised weight should be plenty.  99.9% of the time its me getting in the boat, lowering it down, and then everyone pilling once its off the lift.

Edited by sidekicknicholas
29 minutes ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I'm too poor to upgrade for a long while... and my wife wants kids soon, so my guess is all new toy buying for me gets put on hold for quite some time.

Boat dry is like 3400#, with gas and gear I figure that adds another 1000# or so (500# from fluids, 500# from speakers, boards, etc etc etc.  600# to spare to its advertised weight should be plenty.  99.9% of the time its me getting in the boat, lowering it down, and then everyone pilling once its off the lift.

Don't get the 5k...seriously don't. We made the same mistake and now regret it. Put the the extra $600 towards a 6k lift. 

The difference between the Floe 5000# and the 6500# lift is not $600...........at least not here.  I have quotes for identically set up lifts in a 5k and 6500, and the difference is $2487.56.

The big difference between the 5k and 6500 is the entire frame is bigger, with heavy duty legs, brackets, etc.  The VSD drive motor is bigger, bunks are bigger/more heavy duty, etc.  Even just the base "lift frame" difference between the two is $1521 more for the 6500#.  

You might be able to spend $600 more to get a 6k lift, but not a Floe.

def not 600 for an extra 1500 capacity lift.  

However everything is better on the 6500.  It's actually the same frame as my 8000 lb lift.  The thing is BEEFY

Don't get the 5k.  You will regret it.  

I went with the Maxis canopy .... base should be in the water this weekend, canopy next week maybe.  I'll post up some photos showing how much (or little) of the LSV tucks up into it.

Also I checked out a 6500 lift, holy s*** that thing is massive.  

I wasn't suggesting the difference between the 5k and 6.5k was $600. I was simply saying put the difference in canopies towards the difference in cost between the 2 capacities. Regardless, Sidekick you will love the Floe lift. We have been quite happy with both of ours.

On 5/6/2017 at 9:48 AM, Sixer said:

The difference between the Floe 5000# and the 6500# lift is not $600...........at least not here.  I have quotes for identically set up lifts in a 5k and 6500, and the difference is $2487.56.

The big difference between the 5k and 6500 is the entire frame is bigger, with heavy duty legs, brackets, etc.  The VSD drive motor is bigger, bunks are bigger/more heavy duty, etc.  Even just the base "lift frame" difference between the two is $1521 more for the 6500#.  

You might be able to spend $600 more to get a 6k lift, but not a Floe.

Check out a Max docks way less and very similar features and stronger 6k should be less than a 5k floe and u can get deep dish or super deep dish canopy no need for extra extensions that flap around

Below is the monster being assembled new 144" wide. 4ft deep canopy ribs + peak, 14ft front to back uprights with tripple carriage beams. Walk on guide ons etc.. time to finish her up and roll her in!

rps20170511_111544.jpg

Edited by The Hulk

To get the deal I got (really really good) it had to be Floe and had to be a 5k VSD  + Canopy of my choosing.

The high level view of the deal I got was:

Trade my 5k Port-a-Dock in - it was at least 8 years old, no canopy, but did have a lift motor vs. wheel.  By trading that + $2800 out of pocket I got a brand new FLOE 5k VSD + Maxis Canopy.  The only catch is the dealer (who is also my brother) can bring people by the lift to show it off - he uses my property as an "on water" display.  His actual shop is like .2 miles down the road on the highway.

With that said, that Max Dock lift looks like it would have been perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:44 PM, sidekicknicholas said:

To get the deal I got (really really good) it had to be Floe and had to be a 5k VSD  + Canopy of my choosing.

The high level view of the deal I got was:

Trade my 5k Port-a-Dock in - it was at least 8 years old, no canopy, but did have a lift motor vs. wheel.  By trading that + $2800 out of pocket I got a brand new FLOE 5k VSD + Maxis Canopy.  The only catch is the dealer (who is also my brother) can bring people by the lift to show it off - he uses my property as an "on water" display.  His actual shop is like .2 miles down the road on the highway.

With that said, that Max Dock lift looks like it would have been perfect!

show pics when you get to it ... I just got my VSD-8000 delivered after selling my VSD-5000 just after the boat show.  Thing is massive - no question and I will have an interesting time getting that thing down to the shore once the 30ft canopy frame is installed.

But I do agree with what all the others said - the 5000 lbs. capacity is barely sufficient as you do the math based on the total weight of the boat.  However the rating of the lift is 2500 per each end and obviously the majority of the weight is in rear.  So if the math according to Floe is:  Deduct engine weight from net weight of boat and divide by 2.  Then add engine weight back to that number - multiply by 2 and add fuel etc. back to it - assuming that the rest of the weight is evenly distributed between front and back legs.  In my case with the Epic with a similar net weight as yours - I was actually closer to the maximum rating than I thought I would be.  You may remember that I said that I would be taking chances by putting the 23LSV on the lift as the net weight would be 4500 lbs but should be okay.  I'm glad I didn't give this a try ... I would have exceeded the lift's capacity by more than the 10% margin I assumed would be safe.

I'll put some pics up once the canopy frame is installed ...

would your brother give me a deal on a 10.5 x 30 canopy ;-) 

• 5 weeks later...

Installed and running as of a few minutes ago;  I think we'll end up dropping the whole canopy by about 8", we have the head space and it can easily exit with the til then... the boat will be covered well past the rub rail with this change.  For now its just at the recommended install height.

... I'll try and snag a video of the boat entering / exiting next time we're out.

19366399_10101337138277822_5054565947065

19248104_10101337138302772_6534232241177

• Like 3
On 6/19/2017 at 6:51 PM, sidekicknicholas said:

Installed and running as of a few minutes ago;  I think we'll end up dropping the whole canopy by about 8", we have the head space and it can easily exit with the til then... the boat will be covered well past the rub rail with this change.  For now its just at the recommended install height.

... I'll try and snag a video of the boat entering / exiting next time we're out.

19366399_10101337138277822_5054565947065

19248104_10101337138302772_6534232241177

Looks good how does this thing handle wind?

When up on a windy day I could see this thing flippin with some of the wind we get on whitecap days.. love the concept just worried.

• Like 1

Looks good how does this thing handle wind?

So far so good.  We've had two separate days since installation with 40-45 mph gusts and it was rock solid... but the boat was on it.   Benefit I have is our lake is only ~400 acres, so if wind kicks up I can be home in <5 mins. 

My brother (dealer for Floe) has said that with the mesh ends it can "breathe" enough in high winds to act like a normal lift.  With that said, if you have the fabric on and no boat, it could very easily turn into a kite, but I've seen a handful of other standard lifts + canopies end up 40 feet into the lake and upside down.

9 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

So far so good.  We've had two separate days since installation with 40-45 mph gusts and it was rock solid... but the boat was on it.   Benefit I have is our lake is only ~400 acres, so if wind kicks up I can be home in <5 mins. 

My brother (dealer for Floe) has said that with the mesh ends it can "breathe" enough in high winds to act like a normal lift.  With that said, if you have the fabric on and no boat, it could very easily turn into a kite, but I've seen a handful of other standard lifts + canopies end up 40 feet into the lake and upside down.

Does it go down after u pull out? Then tilt again to come back in? My experience is u can very quickly get a small angle and it's game over, without to much wind, so even pulling out on a windy day I would be worried since our wind comes from the rear.. that being said if I were u I would check if floe has a auger kit that can bolt on or I'm sure u could figure something out easily as well but if I had that I would have four augers driven at least 3ft down and attached to Lift..if u could prevent it from getting started then your fine.. I got an aguer kit for my lift and plan to attach this weekend. My canopy is 7ft tall x 32 foot long and near 13ft wide.. even with the 25 on her I still worry about a nasty straight wind.. the augers will add thousands of lbs locking force to ground or more to prevent any lifting.. 

not sure how much the mesh will ease the wind catching. The top is still solid. It has been a very windy start to the season here, I can't even imagine my canopy tilting without  troubles, and to tip the lift I'm guessing would take 1000lbs force to lift one side but every inch it tilts reduces the weight needed to tip and dramatically increases wind force angle on canopy.. so I would def get augers in if I were u to be safe few hundred bucks is worth.

The other concern I would have is no angle supports on a 30-32ft canopy and it's still rock solid? That's sweet if true!! Looks awesome!! 

Nice setup for sure!  

Does the back open it zip open for more air flow? Does the mesh let water in on high winds? 

Interested so sorry for all the questions

Does it go down after u pull out? Then tilt again to come back in?

It has a wireless remote, so you have control of that once you've backed out from your boat.

I would have is no angle supports on a 30-32ft canopy and it's still rock solid? That's sweet if true!! Looks awesome!! 

There are two suspension bridge style cables to support the nose end of the canopy set to the inside like so:

7eVOEF.jpg

Does the back open it zip open for more air flow?

Nope, just the mesh on the ends, seems to breathe quite well

Does the mesh let water in on high winds? 

I haven't noticed the bow wet at all but 95% of wind would come for the drivers side / stern side ... its a pretty fine mesh, so my guess is the water's cohesion keeps it fairly stuck to the mesh and then blows off the bottom once it reaches that point.

3 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

Does it go down after u pull out? Then tilt again to come back in?

It has a wireless remote, so you have control of that once you've backed out from your boat.

I would have is no angle supports on a 30-32ft canopy and it's still rock solid? That's sweet if true!! Looks awesome!! 

There are two suspension bridge style cables to support the nose end of the canopy set to the inside like so:

7eVOEF.jpg

Does the back open it zip open for more air flow?

Nope, just the mesh on the ends, seems to breathe quite well

Does the mesh let water in on high winds? 

I haven't noticed the bow wet at all but 95% of wind would come for the drivers side / stern side ... its a pretty fine mesh, so my guess is the water's cohesion keeps it fairly stuck to the mesh and then blows off the bottom once it reaches that point.

Interesting concept for the angled cable inside! Slick! 

What is the height of those ribs? Looks pretty close to mine. I like the mesh concept! I get wind from back and back right, to drivers side depending on day. I leave my cack open pretty much full time to allow the boat to air out. The longer 32' canopy and wider lift keep water out well and leaving back keeps it drying like a wind tunnel. The mesh would be good to keep most sun out but not lock moisture in..and my guess make it a lot lighter!!!!

I made the mistake of not paying an extra $2k for sunbrella canvus. Would have been half the weight. This one is a beast. Takes ladders and min 4 ppl to put up. I get one shot for having it perfectly folded and a perfectly planned unfolding when getting it up. Sunbrella would have made it much much lighter but several years less warranty and another$2k.. ouch.. lesson learned.. but the mesh is something I may do next time! 

This has me intrigued to do something with my back end and use some actuators to make the back open/close like a flip up garage door.. easier than zippers and straps.. thus half the reason I never close mine in rear. 

One issue I'm having with this 144" wide inside dimensions lift  is I am having make a 14-16" wide cat walk to board the boat. Too far from dock but I like not having to swival board racks in..  that lift will be the death of me! Still have another 500-600 lbs of accessories to put on with total bow surround stop etc.. I barely got this mo fo in, no idea how I'm gonna get it out! I'm going to be over 2k lbs.. currently one person lifting as hard as possible can not even lift one corner of the lift on dry land.. I'll post some pics when I finish.. 

That floe is darn sexy though! Nice setup I like how their canopy has a little better apeal. About time lifts weren't so boring looking!

I'll have to check into the height of the ribs when I get home today.... since this photo we dropped the whole canopy like 4" and still have ~6-8" of headspace when fully lifted.  To go any further I would need to cut down the one post or else it will crash into the cable.

The fabric itself is crazy, it isn't vinyl at all and really light.  My brother installed the fabric by himself in like 15 minutes (I wasn't there to see it)... the box was only like 35 lbs though, much lighter than even a standard shallow vinyl.

.... as far as the jump to the boat, I hear ya there.  I can make it easy, by my wife or anyone in our family who is old doesn't stand a chance.  I usually have to pull it off the lift and then pick them up from the pier (we set the height so its almost exact to the sunpad).  I may also try and add this step our dock company makes:
28e3bf33a22f99974e88c44cd566bd35_f140.jp 

I had a Port-a-Dock lift before this, but this Floe is pretty awesome in comparison.  The ball-screw lifting mechanism is like 10x faster than our old direct drive motor.  I can go from having the cradle bottomed out to as high as it goes in like 30 seconds, its crazy fast.

What is the height of those ribs? Looks pretty close to mine. 

From the lowest point of the fabric to the top most point of one of the ribs is ~70".