Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floe Maxis Canopy

sidekicknicholas

I'm looking at a new boat lift for our 04' LSV Wakesetter, the tower isn't easy to fold down so I planned on getting something with longer side skirts on the canopy to keep the boat protected while the tower stays up, but then my brother showed me a video of the Maxis Canopy from Floe.

It looks pretty cool, since it is one large piece rather than an add-on.  Anyone have experience with them?

Edited by sidekicknicholas

Wonder why they have the video in reverse.... 

Haha, first thing I noticed too.   It wouldn't have even been bad backing it out.... why try and fool people

• Like 2

I was fishing for someone to say something about a gal driving

My wife was watching me type my response... I had to be careful.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I was quoted ~$1800

I looked at it at the Minneapolis boat show but didn't bother to get a quote ... I assume the quote was just for gear/drive to raise/lower canopy?  My VSD-8000 lift I bought was used and didn't come with canopy frame nor canopy - so just the canopy frame (30ft.) has set me back $2470 - an original Floe canopy will be another ~$2000?

25 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I was quoted ~$1800

I think you forgot a 0... There is no way it's $1,800, unless you're talking about just the raising mechanism.  We bought a Shore Station Hydraulic #5,000 (wish I went more) hoist at a boat show 2 winters ago now (going on 3rd summer) for around $13,000

I didn't ask for details, but when I asked at the MN boat show, the guy initially told me it was like a $3000 option.  I saw him two days later, and he said he mis-quoted me, it would be more like $1800.  Maybe that doesn't include the canopy fabric, I have no idea.  I wasn't all that interested, so I didn't ask for specifics.  It obviously doesn't include a boat lift.  The flow canopy that I just purchased this year for a 28' was $1531.  My canopy frame was $1938.........so I agree it doesn't make much sense, but that's what the guy told me.

2 hours ago, Sixer said:

I didn't ask for details, but when I asked at the MN boat show, the guy initially told me it was like a $3000 option.  I saw him two days later, and he said he mis-quoted me, it would be more like $1800.  Maybe that doesn't include the canopy fabric, I have no idea.  I wasn't all that interested, so I didn't ask for specifics.  It obviously doesn't include a boat lift.  The flow canopy that I just purchased this year for a 28' was $1531.  My canopy frame was $1938.........so I agree it doesn't make much sense, but that's what the guy told me.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

could have swore the girl at the show said 18k

I bet it is an $1,800 option.  That sounds right.  For the hoist they had, the total of it being 18k sounds feasible

The guy who told me $1800 isn't the guy I purchased my new lift from, but I just emailed my guy.  I'll keep you posted.....

We originally had the extensions on our first Floe lift but when we bought our second we decided to go with a longer drop and are using the extensions on the Floe for our SSLXI. I prefer just having the longer drop. Gives you more coverage especially when you take into account the cost for the extensions. You can see the two different set ups in the pictures below.

1F3BA03C-6494-42D7-84D5-8F19911193B8_zps 

74601727-A743-4E07-8AEC-FA4B9057C3E6_zps

Looks cool, had the idea to do this a few yrs back but ran into the issue that it might be bad on a windy day if air gets under there and catches it could be bad.. . You can easily do this for $500 to your lift. Hinge the front part and add 3ft actuators to back I'd just be careful how high you make it go.. a little wind under there at that angle may prove problematic. 

Does anyone know if the top and lift can be controlled independent? I would hope so.. cool though!

Another issue I ran into was u can no longer use canopy supports in front and back.. bad on bigger lifts especially bigger deeper canopys in wind..

Looks cool though!

I do like that deep dish canopy along with the one from MAX.  Well worth having a deep dish canopy! But that flow one in the video looks super cool with integrated mesh on sides! Love that idea assuming heavy winds don't allow water in.. gotta love floe though they are one of my favs!

Edited by The Hulk

Definitely 1800 added onto everything else.   

I got my 8000 lb VSD with a 30 foot canopy and side extensions last year for about 15K.  Hey when you're at 15K what's another 1800?  If it was available when I bought my new lift I probably would have gotten it but at this point, it's kind of a meh feature. 

@The Hulk, I'm guessing your wind issue is why the canopy fabric is very porous.  If not, that sucker would take off like a wind sock.  I'm not sure I want that many holes in canopy fabric though.  

Edited by bamaboy

How is your 30 foot can it be without supports or do you have supports angling up from the uprights up to the canopy front and or back?

I have a new Max coming this week but it has a ridiculous deep dish canopy Drive Out back.. although I'm going with the 32 foot canopy for added protection on the 25 and just in case they come out with a 26 or 27 lsv haha.. 

I am seriously worried about how I'm going to get in and out of the water this thing is going to be a monster it is 144 inches wide and the uprights are 14 foot and between the front and back with a triple beam carriage... The good thing at least is I don't have to worry about swiveling in my board racks anymore..

I wish it had some mesh on the sides to make the canopy lighter it's going to take at least three or four guys to put it up but on the other hand I've seen some of the mesh stuff from some of the other Boat Lift companies in the gaps are too big so the wind blows some of the rain in the boat not sure how the one is from floe though..

It bows a little bit in the front and back even WITH supports

There is no way that rain won't get through a mesh side wall.  No no no no way.  You get that hard driving side rain and its over

That's kind of what I figured I just didn't know if they had something that was a tighter weave I guess I'm glad I don't have it then I can just roll up the back and let air flow that way

I'm trading in my old lift for a floe, so I am getting some better pricing / options than normal but I think this is what it comes to (which aligns well with $1800 add-on mentioned above)

Standard canopy + vinyl = ~$1300

Extensions + vinyl with extra length =~$1900

Maxis = $31XX

we bought our second we decided to go with a longer drop

Is that longer drop option a Floe lift as well, that looks pretty much like what I was hoping to achieve

So I heard back from the place I purchased my lift from........."As for the Maxi Canopy, for ~ $6900 you get the tilting kit which includes the actuators, 26 ft. canopy frame and fabric. That doesn’t include assembly and installation."

I'm not sure the breakdown, or if you can do it to an existing canopy, but the other guy I spoke with at the boat show must have been talking about only the kit and actuators........who knows.

On 5/2/2017 at 10:17 AM, sidekicknicholas said:

Is that longer drop option a Floe lift as well, that looks pretty much like what I was hoping to achieve

Both lifts in the 2nd picture are Floe lifts. The one on the left does not have the extensions and the right does. When we replace the yellow and gray canopy, we will be getting rid of the extensions. I much prefer the set up on the left.

I do have one side note to add about the canopy on the left. We had sleeves made for both sides that are attached by a heavy duty zipper. We put chain in the sleeves to help keep the sides from flapping in the wind.

So I re-priced everything and I'm torn ... I've ruled out that "basic" canopy since our 04' tower doesn't go down easy.

Extra length side curtains + 5k VSD lift = $1950 OTD price after my trade

Maxis canopy + 5k VSD lift = $2600 OTD after my trade

..... $600 is probably worth it, that does also buy a lot of gas.