Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Capacity in 00' Monsoon???

I'm changing the oil for the first time since I bought my 'bu in May. I combed thought the Malibu and Indmar manuals and can't find anything about the amount of oil needed to fill the engine back up after an oil change. Can anyone help me out with this key piece of infomation.

6 quarts, depending on how you get the old oil out, you may be able to get in 5.5

I remember reading somewhere that the Monsoon took 6 qts but I only got 5 out of my old 2000 VLX. When I asked the dealer, they told me it was only 5 qts. I checked the manual on my 05 Lxi Monsoon and it lists the capacity as 5.5 quarts with filter. I assume the oil capacity hasn't changed.

Mine is an 01, and the manual states 5 qts. Using the filter (Penzoil PZ3 or eqivelant) it holds 5 qts. When I bought the boat from the previous owner it had a longer filter and held about 5.5 qts.

Mine is an 01, and the manual states 5 qts. Using the filter (Penzoil PZ3 or eqivelant) it holds 5 qts. When I bought the boat from the previous owner it had a longer filter and held about 5.5 qts.

Bingo that's the correct number.

• 15 years later...

Hi all: I am doing my oil change for the first time myself this year.  Boat is an '03 Response LXi with the 335 Monsoon.

It is on the trailer in my driveway right now and I was planning to do the oil before i put the boat in the water.

A few questions:

Can someone tell me the exact part number for the oil filter on my boat?

Also I read somewhere that it takes 5 quarts of oil and somewhere else that takes 8. Any advice there?

Lastly, do I need to run the boat first or is that not necessary? I don’t have a fake a lake so that’s a concern. I did buy a suction pump. Since I have that would I be better off doing the oil change in the water after I launch this year?

Any and all advice and experience would be much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, jtormey said:

Hi all: I am doing my oil change for the first time myself this year.  Boat is an '03 Response LXi with the 335 Monsoon.

It is on the trailer in my driveway right now and I was planning to do the oil before i put the boat in the water.

A few questions:

Also I read somewhere that it takes 5 quarts of oil and somewhere else that takes 8. Any advice there?

Lastly, do I need to run the boat first or is that not necessary? I don’t have a fake a lake so that’s a concern. I did buy a suction pump. Since I have that would I be better off doing the oil change in the water after I launch this year?

Any and all advice and experience would be much appreciated.

I've got exact same boat and engine. Any filter fitting a SBC will be fine. Oil capacity is 5.25litre, 5.5 quart i.e. exactly as per the 2003 manual.

Some people do use the suction pump down the oil dip stick hole, but a lot have had issues with the plastic tube getting stuck and breaking off in sump. Not worth the risk. Use the factory oil drain hose down through the centre drain bung hole. Easy as!

Warm the engine and use the factory drain hose. Leave it draining overnight as it's slow. In morning change the oil filter (pre filling the new filter with new oil) and fill engine with approx 5 litres of new oil.   

3 hours ago, uk_exile said:

Use the factory oil drain hose down through the centre drain bung hole.

You can attach the oil pump to the factory drain hose to speed the process.

7 hours ago, uk_exile said:

I've got exact same boat and engine. Any filter fitting a SBC will be fine. Oil capacity is 5.25litre, 5.5 quart i.e. exactly as per the 2003 manual.

Some people do use the suction pump down the oil dip stick hole, but a lot have had issues with the plastic tube getting stuck and breaking off in sump. Not worth the risk. Use the factory oil drain hose down through the centre drain bung hole. Easy as!

Warm the engine and use the factory drain hose. Leave it draining overnight as it's slow. In morning change the oil filter (pre filling the new filter with new oil) and fill engine with approx 5 litres of new oil.   

Thanks. Much appreciated. Guess I gots to get a fake a lake to warm the boat up and do this right.

Warming up the engine stirs and thins the oil so in theory you get more of the old oil and residue out. 

16 hours ago, jtormey said:

The Napa gold taller oil filter that I use is number 1060. Mine takes 5.5 quarts with this filter.

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Up to you.  I never warm up the boat to change the oil.  Just dump the drain line in a bucket and let it sit overnight.  Being a 2003, your boat may or may not have a factory oil drain line.

7 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Up to you.  I never warm up the boat to change the oil.  Just dump the drain line in a bucket and let it sit overnight.  Being a 2003, your boat may or may not have a factory oil drain line.

It should have the drain. My 03 RLXi does. Mine's Australian built but as far as I'm aware identical to US built expect for a few wiring colour differences. Indmar engine package would come from same factory. 

1 hour ago, uk_exile said:

It should have the drain. My 03 RLXi does. Mine's Australian built but as far as I'm aware identical to US built expect for a few wiring colour differences. Indmar engine package would come from same factory. 

I'm never sure since my in-laws 04 lxi did not have one until I added it.  But it had a black scorpion.

Perhaps an Indmar normal feature but optional on other engines? I know my 02 carbed 310 Indmar also had the oil hose. 

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

That’s what I do. Ours is a 2003 XTi with the 335 and it has the drain tube.

Hi All. About to do the oil change. I have the drain tube on my boat so that will let all the old oil out. Now the dumb question: where does he new oil go? As per the attached to photos, there are two pales that look to be fill points on the top of the engine. One is a black cap and one has a yellow penziol label on it. What the heck?

demo.jjcreative.com/oil1.HEIC

demo.jjcreative.com/oil2.HEIC

25 minutes ago, jtormey said:

Hi All. About to do the oil change. I have the drain tube on my boat so that will let all the old oil out. Now the dumb question: where does he new oil go? As per the attached to photos, there are two pales that look to be fill points on the top of the engine. One is a black cap and one has a yellow penziol label on it. What the heck?

demo.jjcreative.com/oil1.HEIC

demo.jjcreative.com/oil2.HEIC

Your photos didn't work, but if it looks like the engine below.... It all goes to the same place. You can fill either hole. The one by the dip stick, or the similar cap in on the left side of the photo.

055241B8-4565-4B3A-A8C7-B9BA29A854DD

Edited by BlindSquirrel