Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking a buying a bu few questions (Sunsetter)

zigs

I found a 98 Sunsetter VLX in my price range. Is the 98 Sunsetter hull the same as the 04 and older wakesetter hull? Also any other comments, complaints etc etc... on that year is greatly appreciated. Motor is the 365 horse hammerhead motor.

Zigs,

Here's the response I received last year when a friend was looking at a '98 Sunsetter VLX.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index....1&st=&p=entry

-------------------------------------

skicrave

Ride: 1998 Malibu Response LX

Post #7

Plus, I wouldn't touch any boat with the original Hammerhead with a 10ft. pole.

-----

yabetcha

Ride: 1999 Malibu Sportster LX

Post #6

skicrave, can you explain the problems with the original hammerhead??

--------

skicrave

Ride: 1998 Malibu Response LX

Post #7

The original motor was built by Callaway Motors (as part of the deal to supply the Supernatural for the Corvette boats) and was anything but reliable. It wasn't until Indmar took over calibration and production of the HH (and boosted the power to 375) that that motor became reliable (although that point can be debated).

Any time somone asks these questions price should be included in the equation!

How much is the boat ? yeah their were issues but not everyone was necessarily a POS, if the boat is a decent value maybe you should jump if not e-mail the info and I'll buy it and resell it Rockon.gif

I may be wrong, but I thought the hammerheads were fine until it became 380 horse? I know those caused a ton of problems, but I didn't know that earlier hammerheads had the same problems as the supernatural.

Other than that zigs, It's a great all around boat and is actually the same hull that is used today on the I-ride.

Thanks for all the replies. Hes asking $19500 for it but said he may have a little room to work. Options are it has a Stainless prop, bimini top, Bow tonneau cover, and Mooring cover. Heater, hot shower, interior lights, and also has a tandem axle trailor.

I do like the boat, but with all the things I've heard about the early hammerheads I might have to hold off on this one. I am mechanically inclined so that part doesnt bother me as much, but I dont want to be working on my toys when I should be enjoying them on the water.

Also what problems have these motors been having? Just one main problem or is it basically just random things breaking all the time?

It's very possible that the motor has been problem free. Does the current owner take it to a regular dealer or shop. If so, ask for the records and who works on it. Call the shop and talk to the mechanic who knows the boat. How many hours are on the motor?

It's very possible that the motor has been problem free.  Does the current owner take it to a regular dealer or shop.  If so, ask for the records and who works on it.  Call the shop and talk to the mechanic who knows the boat.  How many hours are on the motor?

There are 300 hours on the boat. Im going to call the owner tonight and see if he had any problems with the motor and if he had a shop do all maintenance on it Ill ask if I can speak with the mechanic that did the work on the boat.

That seems like a pretty good price. Now don't quote me, but I remember a few posts about the hammerhead engine and I was under the impression that if nothing happened within the first 50 hours then the engine was one of the few that wouldn't be a problem. Once again I could be totally wrong and I am sure someone more knowledgable will jump in here and correct me if I am.

That seems like a pretty good price. Now don't quote me, but I remember a few posts about the hammerhead engine and I was under the impression that if nothing happened within the first 50 hours then the engine was one of the few that wouldn't be a problem. Once again I could be totally wrong and I am sure someone more knowledgable will jump in here and correct me if I am.

Those were the Indmars, & you're right, if you were going to have a problem it was generally right out of the gate (& usually bad). :) The Callaways were a different deal entirely, they suffered from a lot of different problems, most of which came back to quality control (IIRC the biggest, most consistent problem was with the heads, but my memory is failing me right at the moment - please someone correct me if I'm wrong on that). Anyway, the Indmar HH motor was/is a decent motor even with the problems that they had over the past couple of years, but I personally wouldn't touch a Callaway.

GalaxyToad/Eagledriver can speak more to the inadequacies of the Callaway Hammerhead since he pulled his out of his boat & tore it down.

A motor rebuild is going to run at least $1600 to $2000. Without replacing any major components.

I may be wrong, but I thought the hammerheads were fine until it became 380 horse?  I know those caused a ton of problems, but I didn't know that earlier hammerheads had the same problems as the supernatural. 

Other than that zigs, It's a great all around boat and is actually the same hull that is used today on the I-ride.

My dealer steered me away from the Hammerhead when I bought my Sunsetter in lat '03. Evidently he thought there were still problems to that point.

Zigs - Did you call the mechanic? I'm also looking at a late 90's malibu on the west coast that has the Hammerhead engine. This post is making me a bit nervous so I'd love to hear what you learned from the boat's mechanic. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased a used 98 sunsetter vlx w/ Callaway 365 EFI hammerhead w/ 25 hrs. in the spring of 2002. I now have just over 200 hrs. Other than the recommended service, the only repair has been a water pump replacement this spring ($175). Perhaps I have been lucky, but it has been a great boat !