Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP! I need some serious help with an LS1 for my 2001 Wakesetter

megawatthour

Long story short, my LS1 engine went bad.  Took it to the Malibu dealer in Raleigh NC to diagnose and fix. Shop removed engine and we sent it off the be rebuilt.  Have received it back but shop has gone out of business.  They were nice enough to pack all of the parts they could find in the boat and put it out in the parking lot for me to pick up.  Does anyone know a tech within 350 miles of Raleigh NC with experience with the LS1 engine?  I know there are parts missing but I have no idea how to figure out what is missing.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  The boat has been in the shop for 2 years and I'd really like to get it back on the water this year sometime.  Thanks.....

Very sad and discouraged Malibu boat owner :(

I had a similar situation, I know the pain, ughhh!  The good news is that all the pieces can be put back together, and with lots of patience and work you will be on the water again!   Do you have the space, start doing it yourself? 

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

Find the mechanic that used to work at the shop and give him a short term job?

He could be the reason the shop is closed! :whistle:   Must be some good full service speed shops around.  I would look into any shops work. Who they build engines for?  You don't need any mods just a good full rebuild?  You should have some good shops that do work for Drag, sprint, ARCA  boys.

@megawatthour:  Bummer on the dealership going belly-up.  Have you contacted Malibu for any suggestions?  Another option would be to contact a local shop that is approved to service the engine (Indmar, Mercruiser, etc.) in your boat, they should be certified for an install & you could run that by Malibu also if there is any warranty concerns.  Good Luck.

1 hour ago, dlb said:

http://www.inlandboatcompany.com/map-and-directions-dealership--durhamhours

This is the new location and name for the local dealer.  Did they just start up and go out of business in a month?

Yes, ProMarine is gone. The new local dealer is Inland Boat Company. They retained many of the existing staff from ProMarine Boats.

They can still get the job done for you! Give them a call. If you need help getting in touch with them, let me know.

If you have had some issue with them and you choose to work with someone else, I would recommend contacting Your Mobile Technician. Brandon Patrick is the owner, and I'm sure he and his crew could knock this job out for you.

18 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Yes, ProMarine is gone. The new local dealer is Inland Boat Company. They retained many of the existing staff from ProMarine Boats.

They can still get the job done for you! Give them a call. If you need help getting in touch with them, let me know.

If you have had some issue with them and you choose to work with someone else, I would recommend contacting Your Mobile Technician. Brandon Patrick is the owner, and I'm sure he and his crew could knock this job out for you.

Believe it or not if you have a barn or large crane lift an engine replacement is a VERY easy job in an inboard boat. However you want someone who knows how to align everything. A car you just bolt the motor in, with a boat if things are out of alignment then the bill goes up fast. I would want someone with insurance and a reputation to do that work.

You make a good point.  The boat has been in the Pro Marine shop for 2 years.  They spent lots of time learning about the LS1 application and the engine itself.  I think they are very frustrated with the project and just can't seem to find the time to work on it.  You would think that a 2 year old work order would take president but I guess the low hanging fruit of tune-ups and oil changes win.  I have spoken to the new owner of the shop but he didn't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that he wanted to finish the job.  I guess inheriting this project as new owner isn't something he was looking forward to.  95echelon is correct in that I would like to have someone working on the boat that has specific experience with the LS1.  When the engine was sent to the rebuild shop, they tossed all of the sensors, brackets and oil pan in the trash.  They thought it was just a block exchange and not a rebuild.  So several parts will have to be located.  Whoever is going to work on it would probably benefit from either having one of these boat, having access to one or at least have had the chance to work on one before.  Nothing against the Pro Marine guys but I'd like to get it back in the water this year and I am willing to take it 300+ miles from Raleigh NC to find the right mechanic.  Thanks for the comments guys, maybe someone on the forum will step forward that can offer the help I'm looking for or at least point me in the right direction.

2 hours ago, megawatthour said:

You make a good point.  The boat has been in the Pro Marine shop for 2 years.  They spent lots of time learning about the LS1 application and the engine itself.  I think they are very frustrated with the project and just can't seem to find the time to work on it.  You would think that a 2 year old work order would take president but I guess the low hanging fruit of tune-ups and oil changes win.  I have spoken to the new owner of the shop but he didn't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that he wanted to finish the job.  I guess inheriting this project as new owner isn't something he was looking forward to.  95echelon is correct in that I would like to have someone working on the boat that has specific experience with the LS1.  When the engine was sent to the rebuild shop, they tossed all of the sensors, brackets and oil pan in the trash.  They thought it was just a block exchange and not a rebuild.  So several parts will have to be located.  Whoever is going to work on it would probably benefit from either having one of these boat, having access to one or at least have had the chance to work on one before.  Nothing against the Pro Marine guys but I'd like to get it back in the water this year and I am willing to take it 300+ miles from Raleigh NC to find the right mechanic.  Thanks for the comments guys, maybe someone on the forum will step forward that can offer the help I'm looking for or at least point me in the right direction.

As I said look for a full service speed shop to do the rebuild. I hate to sound like it nothing but if you are not modifying the build it becomes a somewhat simple job for a shop that builds engines. As for the parts they should not be hard to get. most of the build is the same as an automotive build other then the marine electronics. The specks should be easy to get for the build. I don't know what the problem was but a full service speed shop can do anything from salvaging a block to line bore, balancing, fitting new pistons,rings, head work, valves. I would just look for a shop that has a good reputation!  They may not want to do the install for a boat but then many would do that as well.

13 hours ago, megawatthour said:

Contact Brandon Patrick at YMT. If you need his number, let me know. I'm sure it's something he has experience with and that he can get it done. 

Edited by boardjnky4