Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lxi response monsoon 2004 won't start.

wolfgang

My 2004 lxi response monsoon won't start.   
I ve jumpered the kill switch to no avail. It was running great when I winterized it in October. Tried starting it on the trailer  It cranks over fast, gauges and PP wake up but I don't seem to have a spark when inserting a screw diver into a spark plug cap and holding it near the motor mount  

how can I tell positively if there is a spark? 

Man I missing another kill switch or fuse? 

3 minutes ago · 0 replies

I use a spark tester. Probably could pull a spark plug and ground it and look for spark. I would pull the cap off and check for corrosion on the contacts. 

20 minutes ago, jbower said:

I use a spark tester. Probably could pull a spark plug and ground it and look for spark. I would pull the cap off and check for corrosion on the contacts. 

Buy a plug tester. I had a guy who used to rebuke my Sea do motors with huge scars up one side of his torso from igniting gasoline that had leaked into a bilge. 

Autozone will have them or 6 bucks on amazon. For 40 bucks you can buy one that will measure spark intensity too. More useful on outboards though.  

If if you have checked kill switch and main fuse spark is where I would go next. Also make sure knock sensor is plugged in etc. 

9 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Buy a plug tester. I had a guy who used to rebuke my Sea do motors with huge scars up one side of his torso from igniting gasoline that had leaked into a bilge. 

Autozone will have them or 6 bucks on amazon. For 40 bucks you can buy one that will measure spark intensity too. More useful on outboards though.  

If if you have checked kill switch and main fuse spark is where I would go next. Also make sure knock sensor is plugged in etc. 

Seems as though these horror stories are like 1 and a million. Definitely can happen. My snap on spark tester is probably 20 years old. But from time to time I will pull a plug and check that way if my tester isn't near by. But typically check for fuel leaks or smell for vapors before hand

Hmmmm.  Lots of ideas.  Old jeep, where is the ecm fuse?

Would your other thoughts still permit the engine to turnover with the starter?  

How to test a coil or should I just replace it?

It ran perfectly last October! It was stored out doors under a tarp ( like the last five years)

15 minutes ago, wolfgang said:

Hmmmm.  Lots of ideas.  Old jeep, where is the ecm fuse?

Would your other thoughts still permit the engine to turnover with the starter?  

How to test a coil or should I just replace it?

It ran perfectly last October! It was stored out doors under a tarp ( like the last five years)

The ecm fuse is on or near the ecm.  My inlaws 04 lxi has a mercury motor in it but pretty sure ecm is under dash in their boat.

I'd also check for chewed up wiring, rodent evidence.

Edited by oldjeep

3 things you always want to check first on crank no starts.  

1- spark

2- fuel

3- compression

Always start with the basics then pinpoint from there. 

Edited by jbower
  • Like 2
formulaben
4 hours ago, jbower said:

3 things you always want to check first on crank no starts.  

1- spark

2- fuel

3- compression

Always start with the basics then pinpoint from there. 

I would put neutral and kill switch a the top of that list...

4 minutes ago, formulaben said:

I would put neutral and kill switch a the top of that list...

Those to me are no brainers. But of course if you have no spark and it's a kill switch your going to find it 

formulaben
Just now, jbower said:

Those to me are no brainers.

Yes they are.  Kinda like the plug though...and we know how that goes.

Just now, formulaben said:

Yes they are.  Kinda like the plug though...and we know how that goes.

Haha yea I know. Guess I need to think the way other people  probably think before me. I do this stuff everyday so checking the easy stuff is just natural. 

I'm assuming you dont have a fuel pressure guage, so the first thing i would do to help you determine if its a spark, or fuel issue is: spray a little starting fluid in the throttle-body, if it starts and runs for a few seconds, you will know it has a fuel problem. If it still doesnt start, you will know its something else like a lack of spark, let me know what you find, and i can try to help you in right direction.

17 hours ago, jbower said:

Seems as though these horror stories are like 1 and a million. Definitely can happen. My snap on spark tester is probably 20 years old. But from time to time I will pull a plug and check that way if my tester isn't near by. But typically check for fuel leaks or smell for vapors before hand

Our lake place is right across from the ramp. I have seen two explosions just from not using a blower in ten years there. However I don't take my own advice either and just sniff test it most of the time!

On April 30, 2017 at 3:18 PM, oldjeep said:

master breaker.

throttle not in neutral

throttle position switch bad

bad coil

ecm fuse dead

lots of possibilities

Also there is a ignition module under the distributor cap, they can fail.  i don't think there is a test for this. just part swap.

if you gauges are turning on, aka you are reading volts at dash with key on, and the gauges chatter when powered up, also you hear fuel pump. then kill switch is working.

fuel pressure would be a great check. if you don't have one, key up a few times. key off, grab a rag and push the fuel valve. looks like a tire valve stem. kinda. follow the fuel line from fuel pump, will be under the black intake on top of motor. if fuel system is pressurized, it will spray out, put rag over valve and push real quick! now keep in mind you have fuel on top of your motor.   be careful.

I've also seen a very corroded distributor cap cause a no spark. 

good luck.

formulaben
54 minutes ago, Malibuguru0515 said:

Also there is a ignition module under the distributor cap, they can fail.  i don't think there is a test for this. just part swap.

if you gauges are turning on, aka you are reading volts at dash with key on, and the gauges chatter when powered up, also you hear fuel pump. then kill switch is working.

fuel pressure would be a great check. if you don't have one, key up a few times. key off, grab a rag and push the fuel valve. looks like a tire valve stem. kinda. follow the fuel line from fuel pump, will be under the black intake on top of motor. if fuel system is pressurized, it will spray out, put rag over valve and push real quick! now keep in mind you have fuel on top of your motor.   be careful.

I've also seen a very corroded distributor cap cause a no spark. 

good luck.

I've seen a rotor that looked perfectly new (and cap insides were pristine) that was causing no spark due to corrosion/bad contact under the rotor...

So in the pouring (and very cold) rain I checked everything I could. Even made a new jumper for the kill switch. No spark. 

Distributor has seen some mild corrosion but dry. Coil  doesn't seem to fire. I couldn't locate the ECM fuses.

Does the 2004 response LXI Indmar have an OBD plug? Couldn't find one either!

I gave up and "brought it in " to Towne and Country Marine. Waiting to hear the diagnosis. 

The rain finally stopped today, now, get this, there's a frost warning tonight. Will the season ever start?