Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Floating dock box?

hethj7

My marina has really small fingers between slips and although we are allowed a locker, I'm on my 2nd rubber maid style one in as many seasons due to winds, etc.   We aren't allowed to modify the actual dock or use the structure, but I'm thinking of utilizing the space in front of the boat and the dock to build a floating mini-dock, on top of which I'll put a horizontal type dock box/bench vs. a stand up locker.   I'd put bumpers around it and tie it my slip, so it essentially just floats there.   Anyone done something similar, got any ideas, or advise on the best place to buy a couple floats to put under it?

No, they were bolted down, but they were the snap together rubbermaid type, and the wind eventually tore them both up.   I currently have a bolted floor with 1 side of a wall standing next to my slip.    I was too cheap to pony up the money for a true dock locker, so I guess this is what I get.   But, with the small size of the fingers at our docks, I'd like more storage anyways.   I figured a horizontal box could run the wide of my 12' wide slip and provide a place for boards, as the locker couldn't accommodate them.  

I'm thinking something like this, with a box I make on top, that sits at the front of my slip.  But, I'd use just the black plastic dock floats at each end and span them with the box I make.

FF37D77F-0602-4C9A-B3FF-1F8A06C8CDB1_zps

Edited by hethj7

You can get black floats from menards that are made for floating docks. I'm sure you could figure out a way to attach to them. We use them to help put docks in. One float will carry my body weight https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/outdoor-recreation/fishing-boating/dock-accessories/playstar-dock-float/p-1460820460611-c-9441.htm?tid=-6771532699579276488

and actually to be honest we use them to install and remove shorestations. We will pick one end of the lift up with a couple guys and slide 2 of them floats under each end and then either float it to shore and drag it on shore or float it to where it goes on the dock and kick the floats out. 

Edited by jbower
Just now, hethj7 said:

Seems pricey, but I wouldn't have thought of Menards.  Thanks!

Other option would be to search craigslist for a floating jet ski pad those are probably more pricey though

Edited by jbower

What about this sort of idea? fbrglassdockbox.jpg

I also like the idea of a floating one. I might try and make something like that, the owner of our dock doesn't like any modifications or accessories so floating might be cool. 

New plan - I am going to span the slip width with 2x6's on edge supported off the floats of the dock. Then strap my Lilly pad to them and build a small box on the other side.  At least if the marina makes me take it down, I am not out much money this way.  The cost of the dock floats deterred me from that option and I will try this first.  

130FB89E-23CD-41CC-8223-DAE51B524FA0_zps

The floating dock you posted above is a Jetdock. That size is probably worth $1500. 

What about building a box that has 2 cables running thru the base. Then attach the cables to the metal frame of the dock with hooks or carabiners. So the box is sort of hanging like a hammock in front of the boat.

What about replacing your current rubbermaid with a truck tool box?  They're made to be outside and even new are cheap.  I'd pick up something like this and throw a couple of lead plates in the bottom to keep it planted.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/better-built-63-in-crossover-single-lid-lo-pro-truck-tool-box-matte-black-wedge