Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater wiring question

Badger

I'm finally adding the heater that I bought at last year's group buy.  I'm not a electronics guy, so need some advice about the wiring.  In the boat, there is a harness waiting there for the mating plug from the heater.  of course the aftermarket heater doesn't have the mating connector.  Should I just cut the connector off and hardwire together?

Doing some research, it appears the connector is a Delphi/Packard Weatherpack which would require ordering a special crimp tool that I don't have either.   Seems like a lot of work for something that I could just cut and use a butt end connector and some shrink tubing.

Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

I'm finally adding the heater that I bought at last year's group buy.  I'm not a electronics guy, so need some advice about the wiring.  In the boat, there is a harness waiting there for the mating plug from the heater.  of course the aftermarket heater doesn't have the mating connector.  Should I just cut the connector off and hardwire together?

Doing some research, it appears the connector is a Delphi/Packard Weatherpack which would require ordering a special crimp tool that I don't have either.   Seems like a lot of work for something that I could just cut and use a butt end connector and some shrink tubing.

Thoughts?

Personally, I would do this and skip the connector.  but, if you wanted a connector, you could check if your local auto parts store has both ends of a different  connector (with the same gauge wire).

@Badger, there isn't anything really special about that crimping tool.  It's like every other crimping tool I've ever seen in an electronic kit. Like one of those combo stripper/cutter/crimper tools.  In a pinch you could even make do with some needle nose pliers and some patience.  If you can get a little solder on the crimps and wires afterwards, then even better.  I'm a fan of connectors myself.  Especially when you can get what you need off Amazon pretty inexpensively.

If you don't want to bother, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with butt end connectors and shrink tubing.  Just make sure the connections are solid.  The heater takes a pretty big load and benefits from a solid connection.

ahopkins22LSV

Here is the thread I referenced when I installed my heater in our RLX. It was a huge help. Wiring might be a bit different for you if you are tying into the MTC screen. Multi meter would be able to help you identify high/low, etc.

Thanks guys.  I'm trying to wrap this up today, so trying to avoid ordering stuff.  I have both shrink tubing as well as the liquid insulation stuff at home.  I'll probably just go with the shrink tubing.

• Like 1