Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo grounding question

NewMalibu

This is a dumb question but I could use some help from the experts on the crew  

Im getting ready to install some speakers and an amp in my father in laws Cobalt. I think we are going to run the power from the battery selector switch. If I do this though, do I need to ground the amps at both batteries or just one? I'm assuming I shoild do both batteries and that I should pig tail it prior to connecting to the first battery. 

Any help is appreciated! TIA

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has me wondering if I'm and idiot and installed my system improperly. Just a quick question. For amps, does the ground go directly to the engine block, or to the negative battery terminal where it is then grounded with the factory installed ground? Does the factory ground need to be upgraded at any point in time? 

I ran a heavy G wire from the amp directly to the block (it says ground so I took the meaning literally). I think this is wrong and where I am getting a ground loop from and possibly causing other problems?  

In theory, yes you should go directly to the stereo's battery. If you have some noise introduced in your current (see how I did that) setup, you could possibly have two ground points, and that will surely give you noise.

Steve B.