Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What will I miss from Malibu or Nautique

aarondouglasdds

I've been considering a Malibu or a nautique.  These boats put me right around $100k.

They are well made, and have a lot of neat electronic gizmos.  I'm not opposed to saving 30% and buying a t23, but what will I miss?

Malibu and Axis have terrible online presentations, so I don't quite understand the new helm station and what it is capable of.

Is there gps speed control?  Are there rider profiles so I can just select "surf goofy" or something along those lines?

Explain the manual wedge for me.  I don't quite understand how that works. Just reach through the hole and release it? Is there a power wedge option?

Thanks for the help!

Aaron

Axis has no power wedge 2.  The Axis has a manual floating wedge, not adjustable and no lift feature like pw2.  That is the biggest difference performance wise between the two brands.  There are quite a few cosmetic differences between the two including G4 tower option for Malibu.

Axis is also using Indmar GM 409 engine while Malibu is using Ford Raptor.  Warranty on Malibu is 5 years, 3 years with Axis.

Go out and visit the dealers and sit in the boats, you will get a lot of different opinions about both boats on this forum.

Edited by Fman

Well, I agree, and will do that this weekend.

What are the main differences between the A24 and the T23?  I recognize the bow difference, and the slight size difference.  Anything else.

ive read that the T surfs better, and may actually be roomier. Is that correct?

The only Axis I ever surfed was a T22 and I thought it was a really nice surf wave.  The transfers were definitely more difficult because there was no beeper or lights to help you time them.  You had to watch the gates open and close.

Axis warranty is also 5 years.  So no difference in warranty between BU/AXIS.

The biggest differences are the bells/whistles, the amount of hard tank ballast and,  and as fman stated the PW2.  

With the floating wedge it's all or nothing,  the power wedge gives you some adjustibilty, most who have power wedge prefer it about half deployed, plus lift mode for launch is great.   

Don't ignore the dealer experience.   If one dealer is significantly closer or significantly better, it will have a big impact on your experience.  Bigger than buying a new car for instance.

I live in a smaller town that has a Nautique dealer.  But that is it.  

All other dealerships are roughly 2 hours away.

That is something keeping me interested in Nautique.  But if I'm comparing a 230 vs a 25LSV (similar price) I lean toward the extra space and design of the LSV...

then that brought me to Axis.  Wouldn't mind a T23 if the price is right.

Edited by aarondouglasdds
1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

The biggest differences are the bells/whistles, the amount of hard tank ballast and,  and as fman stated the PW2.  

With the floating wedge it's all or nothing,  the power wedge gives you some adjustibilty, most who have power wedge prefer it about half deployed, plus lift mode for launch is great.   

I was incorrect it's now 5 years which is a great upgrade!

Edited by Fman

Axis changes to 5 years in 2016.  

OP...the T23 is a great boat.  The fit and finish will be dramatically different from a Bu or Nautique to an Axis.   What's most important to you?   Automation and luxury?   Axis won't make you happy in those areas compared to the others.  The Axis is a great family boat that is built well and puts out a great wave that most people will never exceed in skill level for both surfing and boarding.  We had a '16 T22 that was a great boat.   Went to a Nautique because someone "made me an offer we couldn't refuse."  

23 hours ago, DarkSide said:

@DarkSideAfter checking out the Axis warranty guide, Centurion is only 3 years?  Or is it different on the RI's? I know Supra is now 7.  Seems like 5 years is becoming the standard.

Just now, Fman said:

@DarkSideAfter checking out the Axis warranty guide, Centurion is only 3 years?  Or is it different on the RI's? I know Supra is now 7.  Seems like 5 years is becoming the standard.

The ri's are definitely 5 years and I believe the previous models in 16 are 5 year also. Supra 7 year warranty, that's unreal. Is it limited?

Warranty is 5 years,  one thing that concerned me is Nautique puts a 500 hour limit.   I could not find an hour call out on the Ri, but my dealer quoted no hour limitations on Ri.  

I am really hoping for 3 years/500 hours out of her.   I fully expect a few issues along the way,  but as long as they are not super frequent,  or severe I am ok with that.   

This is a huge plus for the BU/AXIS over the Nautique!  If the OP keeps boat a long time or is a heavy user.

Edited by DarkSide
21 minutes ago, wheelman said:

The ri's are definitely 5 years and I believe the previous models in 16 are 5 year also. Supra 7 year warranty, that's unreal. Is it limited?

Interesting, at the boat show this year they were advertising a 7 year warranty.  I  noticed the sign in front of there displays, never went over and looked at the fine print.  However, if you go on there website for 2017 they are showing a 5 year warranty.  Maybe the 7 year was a boat show incentive???

• Like 1

I think it was a show incentive.  I think Tige did the same thing during boat shows.  Our Tige/Supra dealer didn't even participate in the show this year.   

We still had a great show, a strong display of I/O surf boats this year.   I really liked the Cobalt, it was just priced the same as the inboard counterparts.

Supra's factory warranty is 5 years, but not on all components.  VISION system is 3 years as well as other electronics.  Gelcoat is 1 year.  Most likely, an advertised 7 year was the dealer including a 3rd party warranty (FPC, etc) to provide some additional coverage. 

On 4/27/2017 at 0:13 PM, River Monsters said:

Don't ignore the dealer experience.   If one dealer is significantly closer or significantly better, it will have a big impact on your experience.  Bigger than buying a new car for instance.

^^^^^ this. 

and more specific the service departments.  Ask around and get a vibe of their reputation.  Go visit each before you purchase.  Is it difficult to talk to the service manager, or request a returned call....or do they block and act confused?  Are the cordial or early 20s weed stoner bothered? How long has the service manager been there????? <----- huge indicator.

are the service departments organized and orderly or do they look like a tornado hit them?

These things matter.

22 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Unless its a club boat or group boat, most families are going to hit 5 years before they hit 500 hours.  

As more people start surfing,  hours per year seam to rise.   It's also a function of where you live.   100 hours in Minnesota is a lot.  100 hours in AZ is easy.   

• Like 3
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:33 AM, jjackkrash said:

Unless its a club boat or group boat, most families are going to hit 5 years before they hit 500 hours.  

I average 120 hours a year in Seattle with a 4 month long summer..

• Like 1
6 hours ago, r33pwrd said:

I average 120 hours a year in Seattle with a 4 month long summer..

That's great!   

..but jack is right as to the "average" (he said "most") is under 100 hours a year.  

• Like 1

@85 Barefoot, yes, there are certainly outliers.  But IIRC the reports I have seen indicates "average" engine-hour use for a recreational boat is 50 hours a year.  Using a boat over 100 hours for a single family would be awesome, but most just won't get there.  

In any event, I understand that the "average" is not all that important to someone who knows they will use the boat more, as the warranty length is what it is and if a member uses the boat more than average, then, obviously, the warranty will run sooner than 5 years.  

13 hours ago, DarkSide said:

As more people start surfing,  hours per year seam to rise.   It's also a function of where you live.   100 hours in Minnesota is a lot.  100 hours in AZ is easy.   

I agree with this.  We kept my sterndrive for 9 years, and sold it with about 650 hours on the clock.

We are going into our 3rd season with our Malibu, and I have 290 hours right now.  With the old boat, there was a lot of "float time".  Not so much anymore, as everyone wants to surf.  The boat just doesn't sit idle anymore.  

I would bet good money that we are not alone in our usage pattern.

I went from 45 hours a year on a jet boat to 200+ per year on a wakesurf boat.  I believe this to be common.  There is also the other side.   My dealer took a 2013 in trade,  for thier new 2017 257.  The 2013 had 80 hours on it.....