Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

89 sunsetter project purchase/rehab

So picked up my first boat project. ive been wanting to find an older inboard bowrider and havent really found one a was comfortable with for the price. after searching for a year or so i ran across a deal that i couldnt pass up so im diving in deep. i purchased the boat for 1800 and knew it would need some serious work but for the price im willing. most of the others in my area are going for around 10k and they still need interior work and theres no telling what going on under the floor ect. i started ripping the boat apart and was going to tackle as much as possible on my own but i was in a really bad accident and im not going to be able to do the work myself so im just going to bite the bullet and spend the money. i will do my best to post pictures and updates as i go along. ive read a few posts on some rehabs and customs tricks so any input is appreciated.

its been a while since ive used forums so what platform or way of sharing pictures is best? thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Uploading photos on Photobucket and copying the URL is the easiest. Very cool project! Looking forward to seeing the progression!

Best of Luck!

-Ben

22 minutes ago, braindamage said:

WOW!!!

you don't mess around. Great pics and that's going to be one sweet ride when you are finished.

how is the engine?

Thanks! The motor turned over but I haven't run it. Says it has 750 hours on it and shows no sign of any leaks or anything so we shall see. i don't have one of those plunger hook ups yet to run water through it 

Sweet deal! Every single thing down to the price is almost exactly like mine. Your interior looks excellent. Be glad you don't have to remake those seats it's a nightmare so don't let it sit outside. Looks like you're getting your little employees working on the project. I'm sure they are going to love it. I know mine does had her and a friend out the first time 2 weekends ago. How are the stringers?

@Sunsetter89:  Congrats on your purchase, looks quite nice from the pictures.  There are several "square windshield" Bu owners on this forum that can provide some good advice.  Have fun with the restoration.  750 hours is very low for a boat of that age, I would suggest a leak down and compression test as a starter.  If well taken care of, 750 hours is not even half way to any significant engine work, I would guess any issies would be related to not running for an extended time, so things like a carb clean/rebuild, fuel filters, ethanol compatible fuel lines, distributor cap if corroded, etc. would be on the list.

1 hour ago, Andrew999 said:

Sweet deal! Every single thing down to the price is almost exactly like mine. Your interior looks excellent. Be glad you don't have to remake those seats it's a nightmare so don't let it sit outside. Looks like you're getting your little employees working on the project. I'm sure they are going to love it. I know mine does had her and a friend out the first time 2 weekends ago. How are the stringers?

Thanks man, unfortunately the seats are about toast. The original pictures I posted are ones from the for sale ad and is what it looked like before it sat ouside for two years. Also a lot of the bolts had some rust on them so I wasn't able to just u bolt the interior I had to pull the bolts through the wood backings, which was quite easy so interior is going to be in my future. All of my interior sat in a dehumidification chamber as soon as I pulled it out to get it good and dry and is in my basement. (I manage a water restoration company so we are pretty good at drying things out lol) I had a guy come by today who is working me up a price on the stringers and new floor and he seems to think they are ok and recommends just recoating them to make them stronger since they didn't do the best job from the factory. (I also had fans and a dehumidifier in the open hull for 3 weeks with a cover over it to suck as much moisture out as well)

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@Sunsetter89:  Congrats on your purchase, looks quite nice from the pictures.  There are several "square windshield" Bu owners on this forum that can provide some good advice.  Have fun with the restoration.  750 hours is very low for a boat of that age, I would suggest a leak down and compression test as a starter.  If well taken care of, 750 hours is not even half way to any significant engine work, I would guess any issies would be related to not running for an extended time, so things like a carb clean/rebuild, fuel filters, ethanol compatible fuel lines, distributor cap if corroded, etc. would be on the list.

Thanks for the info! As soon as I get the new floor ect worked out the motor is my next go to. I bought the boat from the original owner and he mentioned that the summer before they sold their lake house he had one instance where the motor started to get hot and they parked it, let a mechanic look at it a supposedly fix it but he hadn't run it again. So I'm going to have a buddy run through it reall good before we try to run it.