Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

tow vehicle tires, not lifted or crazy A/Ts, just tires

Falko

What are you guys running for tires on DD / Tow vehicles? My wife's Armada needs new rubber, the factory Conti's are on their last legs at 63k. I think they did pretty well. I looked at the new Conti offerings and you can't seem to get a good review that isn't contradicted by another. I'm mostly concerned with wet traction and road noise. I'm thinking Conti Crosscontact or Firestone Destinations. Other thoughts?

I just bought some Yokohama Geolander A/T for my little Tacoma and Golander H/T for my Wife's Sequoia.  I am really liking the way they handle on the road and in the rain.  Both sets feel almost as good as my old Michelin M/S2's I had on my old Tundra.  My dad has some of the Geolander A/Ts on his F150 and pulls a 32' bumper pull camper around thru the hills with no issues either.

Firestone Destination AT.  I get about 45K from a set and they work well in the MN winter.  On the 3rd set on my RAM

Yokohama Geolandars (MT) I had on a jeep once.  Very soft sticky tire and wore out in 25K

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Good tread life, good in snow and pretty bad on ice due to how hard they are.

I have All Terrain TA KO2s on my Avalanche & it gets around great. A couple winters back I came across a Denali in the ditch.....it was pretty icy out. Took me a couple tugs to get it back on the road.

Just now, Bill_AirJunky said:

I have All Terrain TA KO2s on my Avalanche & it gets around great. A couple winters back I came across a Denali in the ditch.....it was pretty icy out. Took me a couple tugs to get it back on the road.

I've had 2 sets of the KO (not the KO2) on a CJ and a Cherokee and was happy with snow performance but they were no good on the ice.  Maybe with the KO2 they softened up the tread or added some siping?

34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I've had 2 sets of the KO (not the KO2) on a CJ and a Cherokee and was happy with snow performance but they were no good on the ice.  Maybe with the KO2 they softened up the tread or added some siping?

I have the KO2's on my new Tundra and really dislike them.  The only reason I have them is because that is what came on it.  They look great, but I do not like them on wet roads and we really do not have much snow or ice so I cannot comment on that.  Of course, on my old Tundra I had the Michelin LTX M/S2's so it is a totally different tire.  During a good rain, I feel like the truck hydroplanes more than what I was used to with the M/S2's.  They also seem to pick up every rock in the road and I cringe when I hear them hit the underside of the truck.  My truck is a "pavement queen" so it really does not see much off road use, I have a 4wheeler and Ranger for that.

ahopkins22LSV

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-fortitude-ht?cta=BBCardTireName

These were stock on my truck. They are probably the best stock tires I have seen on a truck. The are very quite on the road, get good mileage and did great in snow. Almost too good in snow. It wasn't even fun :innocent:

Granted I only have 4500 miles on the truck, but my friends at GM who do ride and handling validation on the 1500 trucks love these tires.

ahopkins22LSV

Agreed on the BF tires. I had General Grabber AT2's on my old truck and really liked them. I had to buy two new tires right when I got the truck. Put them on the rear and still had a TON of tread left after 38k miles.

$200 a tire for 265R17's.

These things have to be good on the wet and quiet on the road. While I'm sure the Grapplers fit that bill completely, I don't think she'd like them along with other M/S tires. BFG KO's do not have good wet traction from what I'm told. It is wet here all the time anymore, really, people come from Ireland to see the green. "Being vigilant" while driving is not my wife, I want something that is forgiving even if I have to give up some mileage. We had put Yokohama on the Expy before and they were pretty decent, but didn't last long. Again, for safety I'll trade in the mileage. Those GY Fortitude do not come in the right size. The only GY I can get are SRA (horrible reviews) and the HP which seem mediocre with poor wet reviews. Local place is running a special on the Yokohama A/T series, going to look at those.

Thanks for the responses so far, keep them coming if you have anymore.

• Like 1

I have BFG K02s on a truck and they are better than old KOs and look nice with side wall pattern.  If you want something that look tougher/all road and great in snow, they would be decent.  I have had a couple of pairs of Yokohamas and they were good, they have different A/T models some better for wet traction some better for off road etc.  I also have a work vehicle with Cooper A/t3 and they are really good all around. The Conti Contact are amazing in wet, but lacking in winter conditions if that matters to you.  Have heard great things about the Michelin LTX for wet conditions and ok year around.  Do you, or should I say your wife, prefer more of a A/T/Off road look, or a cleaner/street tire?

12 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

BFGs KOs are over priced. 

That is all 

You need to shop around a little. I had to pay as much or more for Hankook Dynapros or Cooper Discovers than I did for the BFGs the last time around. $950 out the door for 285 55 20s. And if I get 50k miles out of them like the others are saying, then it will be 10k or 15k more miles than either of the others got.

Wife doesn't worry about looks of the tire, black and round are the biggest concern for her. This is the family buggy so comfort and safety are priority. 

I second the Michelin LTX M/S 2 for comfort, safety and longevity.  I have had them on previous trucks and my dad has them on his 94 suburban.  He is a nut and rotates every other oil change and continuously gets 100K on a set.  He has over 400K on the burb itself.

I have used Goodyear Wranglers, Firestone Destinations and Michelin LTX's on A past Suburban or the current Denali.  No real complaints on any of them.  Just went with the better deal.

5 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

You need to shop around a little. I had to pay as much or more for Hankook Dynapros or Cooper Discovers than I did for the BFGs the last time around. $950 out the door for 285 55 20s. And if I get 50k miles out of them like the others are saying, then it will be 10k or 15k more miles than either of the others got.

I will stick with Nittos thanks

3 hours ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I will stick with Nittos thanks

No sweat. I've had them too. Looked great. But didn't last.

I have a customer who had a blowout on the rear of the truck towing his boat with them too. The tread & sidewall completely separated in a tire that was like a year old. They honored the warranty on the tire itself, minus the prorated amount. And didn't bother to cover any of the other damage.

Best of luck.

9 hours ago, Skin2Win said:

I second the Michelin LTX M/S 2 for comfort, safety and longevity.  I have had them on previous trucks and my dad has them on his 94 suburban.  He is a nut and rotates every other oil change and continuously gets 100K on a set.  He has over 400K on the burb itself.

^^^^^^

this.

light truck tires..... much much sturdier and less heavy towing sidewall slop.  Much harder to puncture, although I managed to collect a set of pliers off the highway in Oklahoma at 75mph.

run them at ~45-50psi.  I got ~75k miles out of mine.

i hevent seen the need for loud A/T tires since I was 17. I'd rather have a quiet ride and 60-80k tires.

Edited by nyryan2001
3 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

No sweat. I've had them too. Looked great. But didn't last.

I have a customer who had a blowout on the rear of the truck towing his boat with them too. The tread & sidewall completely separated in a tire that was like a year old. They honored the warranty on the tire itself, minus the prorated amount. And didn't bother to cover any of the other damage.

Best of luck.

My last set of trail grapplers lasted 45K I sold the truck and they still looked pretty good.   Never an issue.  

There is no way you have had the ridge grapplers the new At tire as they just came out in the fall.  Unless they are on your truck now. They look almost as aggressive as the trails but are quite and I am sure will last much longer. 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown