Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tige 24v

jetskipro550

I don't really get the oppertunity to ride behind other boats much (riding buddies all have Bu's) but today I got to ride and drive a 2004 Tige 24v. It had the 6.0 375 HP engine, its 24ft' long, had PP, but no ballast. I have been inside many Tige's at boat shows and dealerships and they arn't anything special (okay really boring) inside. However there was one thing that I really liked about the interior and that was the bow. Its HUGE! The seats are sort of reclined and although the bow is usually reserved for women, this bow was big!

This boat had no ballast, only two 170lb people in the boat and one 130lb rider and the wake was very impressive! Comparing it to a loaded down (full ballast + wedge) 03 VLX/vride I would say that it was just a little smaller, but with more lip and I really launched off of it. Once we were finished boarding we surfed (I didn't) and I was amazed that with no ballast and only two people this boat threw a surf wake that was clean on both sides and big enough to go ropeless on a 5'6 hyperlite.

All in all I was impressed with the depth inside the boat, the height of the bow out of the water (didn't need to watch for rollers), the wake, and the bow size. But the the boat felt a little under powered, didn't handle the chop like a Bu, made lots of noise (not from the engine...that was dead silent), and the interior layout/looks. I see why so many people (at least in this area) buy Tige's but I just couldn't ever go from the plush interior and amazing handeling of a Malibu to the Tige...although I can't imagine how good the wake would be when properly sacked out Shocking.gif

I love riding in different kinds of boats! It makes me think, "why didn't malibu think of this (larger bow)" or "Thank God Malibu has the interior down!" Anyways, just thought I would share my experiance! BTW- we are going to take my 2 500lb. sacks in the boat someday along with about 10 people and see how the surf wake compares the the 247...I have a feeling the 247 will still win Biggrin.gif

I looked at a Tige last winter at the boat show. I like to check out the other brands just to compare. Out of all the other skiboat brands that I saw, I was most disappointed with the Tige. The fit and finish was only average and the interior overall just looked a little cheap to me. I have never skied or ridden behind one, so I can't comment on performance.

Tiges don't need the extra ballast because they are so freakin heavy. Check the specs on them. They weight A LOT more than any other comparable inboard. That is probably why it felt underpowered also.

I think the weight is due to the extra hull thickness. I rode behind a 22v last year and I was impressed but I agree about the lack of interior creativity. Very cheap. They are one of the best selling boat around here and I see alot of them but if I was going to pay $72,000 for a 22 foot v drive I expect some ballast.

The Tige's around here arn't going for any 72k Shocking.gif This boat had a Samson Tower, and as far as the TAPS go...

Them, "Check out the wake now, I just adjusted the taps Shocking.gif "

Me, "huh? oooh oh yeah :unsure: It sure...ummm....looks...big Whistling.gif "

Dry it weighs 3982lbs. The 247 weighs 4000lbs.

The Tige's around here arn't going for any 72k Shocking.gif This boat had a Samson Tower, and as far as the TAPS go...

Them, "Check out the wake now, I just adjusted the taps Shocking.gif "

Me, "huh? oooh oh yeah :unsure: It sure...ummm....looks...big Whistling.gif "

Dry it weighs 3982lbs. The 247 weighs 4000lbs.

ROFL.gif

Oh, look a post on my favorite subject!

TAPS - Tige's Anti-Plane System

btw, in case anyone still doesn't know this: TAPS does not make the wake bigger - it is impossible!

It's amazing to me how heavy and "thick" these boats are and they still rattle around like a bayliner on any amount of chop!

Slugglish and underpowered, boy that sums it up pretty well.

Plus they are fugly.

My .02 cents, I'll hold back on how I really feel! :)

I just got back from the Tige regetta last night in Parker Az. I went with a good friend of mine. They were showing off the 2007 rx2 it's

a cheaper version of the X Star. As far as looks go I like it better then the X Star. I hear they are going to start out at about 60k.

Boat values vary dramataically from area to area, here a loaded 24v was the same as LSV, maybe 2-4K cheaper. I test drove the 24 many times. It was actually my favorite wake for boarding, but the rest of the boat let me down. It needed the 8.1 badly, trying to push that much hull (much less weighted down) with a 5.7 or even a 6.0 will never work. It had weird harmonic vibrations that the dealer could not explain and said all boats did. I was not a fan of the interior, but my wife loved it. After getting the LSV she feels that Malibu makes better use of space.

The new Tige now uses 38oz vinyl. Definately took the comfort of the Malibu and added it to their boat. As a Tige owner that is looking to upgrade (VLX is currently at the top) I can tell you that they are pretty solid boats and you need substancial weight to get those things to sink for a good wake. TAPS doesnt change wake size....it only changes the shape and when running weight its better to have the TAPS set towards slalom from my experiences.

i just bought an 06 23 LSV. i also looked at the tige boats and all the others. i also thought the tige boats were very bland. if the tige boat had ballast (they are optional) and a malibu interior i might be a player. the wedge would still be an issue though!

I think the weight is due to the extra hull thickness.

Elaborate, if you would.

The local shop has a Tige 22V stripped down to just the hull to show the thickness of the fiberglass and I can confirm that they use more than any other boat I have seen. But you have to ask yourself if it necessary. How often does the hull on a boat fail and they all seem to be warranted for life. Doesn't make up for their ugliness either.

I think the weight is due to the extra hull thickness.

Elaborate, if you would.

Tige's huge marketing push is their "extra strong hulls." I saw a picture on a tige site that had a Tige being built, and they were comparing it to a build picture of a Malibu 247 being built. The 247 transom was a lot thinner than the Tige's. Being that it was a tige site, they were all commenting on how they wouldn't want a wedge attached, pulling down with 1,000 pounds of force, on such a skinny hull. So the question is though, (in regards to Tige). Being that we haven't heard widespread reports of the back ripping off Malibu's, is the extra thickness really worth it?

i work at a shop that sells tiges and we always put balast in the boat

its the first thing we do

every tige we sell has 1500lbs of balast in it