Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PP Stargazer Wake S vs Hydrophase Ridesteady

BenUrbanski

OK so I searched posts and seems like this hasn't really been discussed lately.  Anybody like one or the other in terms of use/features?  Ridesteady seems nicer to use with rotary dial and has a few more features. 

I'll try to keep this short and mistake free, however my phone has been autocorrecting words without reason.  

My last boat I was in your same shoes. I boat on a river so the gps wouldn't have been too ideal.  So I was gonna go with the ridesteady until I realized you need to drill a hole for their paddle wheel (now they have a gps unit) so I thought about it for a bit and then finally came across a used perfect pass stargazer.  Complete kit for 300 bucks used.  I'm sold.  Got the kit and nothing in it worked with my boat.  Great. So called up perfect pass and they sent me everything I needed.  Wasn't much. Maybe 200 bucks worth of stuff.  But he spent about an hour with me on the phone and went over everything. Including the install. 

So so I installed it and had a problem with the master controller.   Again, called perfect pass and worked with me over the phone and decided that I should ship him the modular and he'd take a look at it.  Shipped it to him had it back in 2 weeks free of charge.  

To me, says a lot about a company when someone who bought your product second hand and they still take the time to help you diagnose a used system that that they easily could have said no too many issues just buy a new one.  

So needless to say my boat that i recently bought also has a perfect pass in it.  Wouldn't buy anything else after what they did for me.  ? 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Yeaitsslo said:

I'll try to keep this short and mistake free, however my phone has been autocorrecting words without reason.  

My last boat I was in your same shoes. I boat on a river so the gps wouldn't have been too ideal.  So I was gonna go with the ridesteady until I realized you need to drill a hole for their paddle wheel (now they have a gps unit) so I thought about it for a bit and then finally came across a used perfect pass stargazer.  Complete kit for 300 bucks used.  I'm sold.  Got the kit and nothing in it worked with my boat.  Great. So called up perfect pass and they sent me everything I needed.  Wasn't much. Maybe 200 bucks worth of stuff.  But he spent about an hour with me on the phone and went over everything. Including the install. 

So so I installed it and had a problem with the master controller.   Again, called perfect pass and worked with me over the phone and decided that I should ship him the modular and he'd take a look at it.  Shipped it to him had it back in 2 weeks free of charge.  

To me, says a lot about a company when someone who bought your product second hand and they still take the time to help you diagnose a used system that that they easily could have said no too many issues just buy a new one.  

So needless to say my boat that i recently bought also has a perfect pass in it.  Wouldn't buy anything else after what they did for me.  ? 

I've had both.  They both work great I did have issues with my perfect pass and yes they do have some stellar customer service that is for sure. But on the other hand I can't complain about hydrophase either. I feel the hydro phase worked a little better in my opinion. I'm not sure how the customer service is because I never had to deal with them besides ordering it. 

• Like 1

@jbower I have heard that Justin at Hydrophase gives great customer service, so at least both great companies.    Did you prefer the user experience from either?  Did you like rotary knob on Ridesteady?  Did you find either had any features that the other one didn't?  I am leaning towards PP as they are the norm, but though maybe Ridesteady has nicer to use and has more user features (rider preferences, etc)

1 hour ago, BenUrbanski said:

@jbower I have heard that Justin at Hydrophase gives great customer service, so at least both great companies.    Did you prefer the user experience from either?  Did you like rotary knob on Ridesteady?  Did you find either had any features that the other one didn't?  I am leaning towards PP as they are the norm, but though maybe Ridesteady has nicer to use and has more user features (rider preferences, etc)

Roughly the same features. I feel the servo on ride steady worked better than my perfect pass one did. Overall i did like the rotary knob and having rider presets. I don't have s big group that rides behind my boat but it is definitely simple to just go to say Joel wake, Joel surf,Doug wake,Doug surf and so forth 

@BenUrbanski:  PP has the option for rider presets.  You do have to scroll through some menu clicks to get to the screen so may or will not be as easy as a simple rotary knob.  Menu scrolling IMO is the weak link for PP, although the new release supposedly has improved it.  Good luck choosing.