Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Side Yard Carport Storage Questions

KSilva

Hey Everyone,

I currently have my 08 VLX in a storage facility. I recently purchased a home with side access with the intentions of bringing the boat home (save $200 month on storage).

Come to find out that the city apparently doesn't care for carports. My gate is about 7.5 feet tall, so maybe i can get away with a low carport? My question to you guys is... 

How tall does the carport have to be to keep the tower up? minimum height?

How tall does the carport have to be to keep the tower down? 

Do any of you guys have the metal carports? Any pictures? 

Thanks in advance. Just trying to bring the boat home. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KSilva said:

Hey Everyone,

I currently have my 08 VLX in a storage facility. I recently purchased a home with side access with the intentions of bringing the boat home (save $200 month on storage).

Come to find out that the city apparently doesn't care for carports. My gate is about 7.5 feet tall, so maybe i can get away with a low carport? My question to you guys is... 

How tall does the carport have to be to keep the tower up? minimum height?

How tall does the carport have to be to keep the tower down? 

Do any of you guys have the metal carports? Any pictures? 

Thanks in advance. Just trying to bring the boat home. 

2014 A20, well under 7 ft tower Down, im sure yours is not 7.5 folded, key to carport after backing in is open side to the North(the least sun), and clean your cover and use it under carport over tower, I blow mine off with blower before every usage and I run a 24/7 hour fan underneath with my cushions tilted 24/7 when not in use

Edited by granddaddy55

I planned to do this as well. my wife had me "do the math". If you build this yourself then it's probably worth it. I was going to contract it out and was therefore cost prohibitive. Est cost was $5k. I can pay for a lot of years of storage before I reach that threshold.

the only bummer is that I can't do my projects over the winter.

10 hours ago, braindamage said:

I planned to do this as well. my wife had me "do the math". If you build this yourself then it's probably worth it. I was going to contract it out and was therefore cost prohibitive. Est cost was $5k. I can pay for a lot of years of storage before I reach that threshold.

the only bummer is that I can't do my projects over the winter.

5k is about 2 years of storage for me here in CA.  To have a carport installed, its about 2k.

@KSilva I don't have too many answers for ya since I have 2016 vlx. I forgot what the tower measures while up but it's about 10'+. I'm getting ready to store mine in the side yard with a carport as well. My sideyard is just rock so I'm only at the concrete stage and hope to start pouring this weekend. I think my sideyard is 13' wide and im going back about 70 ft. I'm doing it myself with some buddies. Once that cures I'll start shopping for the metal buildings. I think im gonna fold my tower to keep the height to a minimum as I live in a subdivision as well. Have you got a quote on the carports? I want to have it fully enclosed. I'll be putting in a 7-8' tall gate with security cameras all over. My neighbors on that side of me are really chill but here in California u have to have a min 5' between a building and your fence. This is just a temporary building so anybody who doesn't like it can pack sand. I really need to buy some land out of city limits...

I recently moved into a home with an acre of land. In the county I'm in, anything over 100 sq ft needs a permit. I have plenty of room to put up a shop or garage but access to it is a bit wonky. I have a perfect spot for the boat and plenty of parking in front of my home and have a large 3 car garage. Problem is I used one port of the 3 car garage for my wife's hair studio and the 2 car portion isn't deep or tall enough for the boat. Problem with the perfect spot for the boat is it sits near the fence line and a permit for the shop would never fly due to set backs. I figured I'd throw up a metal car port in the spot where I'd like a more permanent shop and see how things go. The old ask for forgiveness rather than permission. I found a carport on Craigslist for $700 and snatched it up. I had to modify it a bit to get enough height to be able to leave the tower up. so far so good. No complaints as of yet. I figured I could sell the carport for more than I paid for it if stuff hit the fan, or I could use it in the back of the property as a chicken coupe/storage shed if needed. The carport is 22' long x 12' wide x 8' tall and I added steel sleeves to raise the height to about 11'. I figure if I can get away with it for a few years, I can plan a more permanent solution. I plan to enclose the back and the street side (that side was enclosed all the way down until I raised it up). I'd like to leave the house side open so I can see in there with my cameras. I have the boat booby trapped so if someone pulls the cover back, an alarm goes off. 

B85DD3D7-A58C-430E-A09D-711F67638643.png

• Like 3

@isellacuras

how did you install the steel sleeves to raise the height? Did you have to weld them?

I have been wanting to install a carport myself but to get the height needed to leave the tower up, I need an RV carport which are more expensive. I can find regular 8' car ports on the CL fairly regularly

The 10 steel posts were pretty expensive. I got 3x3" square tubing cut to 36". They were about $300. I got the thicker walled stuff to close the gap on the smaller carport posts (they were a pain in the a** to drill for the through bolts). i screwed them in place with 4 roofing screws with the rubber washers and then through bolted with 5/8" galvanized bolts. The carport posts slide 7" into the new steel posts. That puts the peak at 11' and the eves at 10'.   I think i mentioned the carport was 8' but it was actual 7'7" on the sides and 8'7" at the peak. 

13 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I recently moved into a home with an acre of land. In the county I'm in, anything over 100 sq ft needs a permit. I have plenty of room to put up a shop or garage but access to it is a bit wonky. I have a perfect spot for the boat and plenty of parking in front of my home and have a large 3 car garage. Problem is I used one port of the 3 car garage for my wife's hair studio and the 2 car portion isn't deep or tall enough for the boat. Problem with the perfect spot for the boat is it sits near the fence line and a permit for the shop would never fly due to set backs. I figured I'd throw up a metal car port in the spot where I'd like a more permanent shop and see how things go. The old ask for forgiveness rather than permission. I found a carport on Craigslist for $700 and snatched it up. I had to modify it a bit to get enough height to be able to leave the tower up. so far so good. No complaints as of yet. I figured I could sell the carport for more than I paid for it if stuff hit the fan, or I could use it in the back of the property as a chicken coupe/storage shed if needed. The carport is 22' long x 12' wide x 8' tall and I added steel sleeves to raise the height to about 11'. I figure if I can get away with it for a few years, I can plan a more permanent solution. I plan to enclose the back and the street side (that side was enclosed all the way down until I raised it up). I'd like to leave the house side open so I can see in there with my cameras. I have the boat booby trapped so if someone pulls the cover back, an alarm goes off. 

B85DD3D7-A58C-430E-A09D-711F67638643.png

Another option for security would be to use a couple wireless cameras for inside the car port.

I don't worry about theft too much any more. We are now in a nicer area, out of town and don't have to deal with the riff raff we delt with at our last home. Besides, each time we had stuff stolen from our old place, the cameras didn't even seem to phase the dirt bags. But yes, motion lights and cameras are part of my security. I think the biggest deterrent will be when that personal alarm sounds off with the ear piercing siren. It's loud!!

Has anyone built a wooden carport?  I want to put one on the side of out house too but you can see it from the street and I'd rather it be wood with roofing shingles to best match the house.  I was thinking of using pre made trusses so it dosent take me all summer to build.  I think if done right they can actually loo pretty good.  Anyone else done this?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

Has anyone built a wooden carport?  I want to put one on the side of out house too but you can see it from the street and I'd rather it be wood with roofing shingles to best match the house.  I was thinking of using pre made trusses so it dosent take me all summer to build.  I think if done right they can actually loo pretty good.  Anyone else done this?

This is something I'd like to do too. The area we're in won't permit the metal carport, but a wood structure with the roof matching the house will easily pass. I'd do it high enough that I don't have to lower the tower. The biggest issue I'll have is building it sturdy enough to handle the snowload.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

it has to be wooden ?  what about aluminum carport ?   lighter and stronger and longer .easy to setup as well.

7 hours ago, shoao said:

it has to be wooden ?  what about aluminum carport ?   lighter and stronger and longer .easy to setup as well.

I was thinking wood would really be the only way for it to not look out of place by my house. 

Something like this maybe but long ways parking for a boat and a tall celing. 

43d45959739dcf38bc59edbc672454ff.jpg

upload your photos to Flicker.com, or any other photo share site, then paste the link in your post here. Or become a supporting member....:whistle:

Edited by BlindSquirrel

Before I had the carport my boat would sit on the concreate next to the hot brick wall and bake in the 100 degree Oklahoma sun. I knew I had to do something.

1 hour ago, windy1 said:

Before I had the carport my boat would sit on the concreate next to the hot brick wall and bake in the 100 degree Oklahoma sun. I knew I had to do something.

Did you build it or hire?  Do you remember what it costs?  Also how far apart are your posts?  That looks like a long span.  

Edited by Gavin17
11 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

I was thinking wood would really be the only way for it to not look out of place by my house. 

Something like this maybe but long ways parking for a boat and a tall celing. 

43d45959739dcf38bc59edbc672454ff.jpg

I know , but maybe something like this is what your want ? haha its could be a extension of your house .

metal-carports-kits-car-ports-for-prefab

A couple of things to consider. If you build without a permit you will have to tear it down to sell the home. The second thing to consider is that a true garage is not that expensive to add if you have the room and you will make back the cost in resale.

I hired a local guy and drew my own simple plans. I don't know what the span is but I used steel posts and a steel beam and did wood above and around the steel. I also wired it to the center for a light if I want to add one.

on a side note one of the best things I did when I built was to run all the down spouts underground all the way to the street so no excess water on the drive.

Edited by windy1
  • Like 2