Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cragslist Find: Sunsetter 2000 LXI

amarfanhar

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/6082254491.html

Interested in this Sunsetter for my family to do some skiing and riding occasionally a little rougher water in the bay.  Any opinions on what I should be looking for in a 2000 LXI Sunsetter?   We love to ski, kneeboard, mostly flat water stuff but an occasional surf session.

I'm thinking of bottom painting the boat because I cannot put it on a lift.  I will only take it out of the water for winterization. I live on the south river and I'm stoked to be able to ski once again.

Thanks!

TG

Edited by amarfanhar

The SS LXI is A very good ski boat. I don't surf so not a lot of help with that.  Just thought I would say you will likely lose value for resale with bottom painting.  The other thing unless things have changed from when we were bottom painting boats if you are concerned with blisters then you will need to do a coating of epoxy before bottom paint. The Epoxy seals the gel coat the bottom paint is for growth. And it does not stop growth just makes it so you can remove the growth. But if I was bottom painting I would do an epoxy to stop or lessen the chance of blistering.  Its been a while since I have been bottom painting boats so things could have changed. Looks like a nice boat.

Least expensive SSLXi I've seen so far...but...it's in a salt water bay and they don't show nor mention a trailer.

Great all arounder, maybe the best ever by anyone, but look for rust and leaks real careful on a salt boat.

I completely agree that bottom paint will kill the resale on a ski boat, and it will eliminate the vast majority of potential buyers with one glance.

I have the same boat and love it!!

Agree with above on bottom paint. Is in saltwater? I would see how it goes for a season before painting. Maybe take it out 1/month for a clean.

its a great ski and wakeboard boat, but I've given up trying to surf. Others on the site have done it.

I would want like 3 batteries and a backup bilge pump if I left one in the water. I will moor up to 3 days at a time and it still scares me (in case a leak sprung up). 

Thanks all.  I loved my Echelon and the Sunsetter adds a little more freeboard without sacrificing too much on performance is what I'm guessing.

Storage of the boat is most convenient at my marina .5 miles from my home and they do not have any boat lift slots available.  I dont have a place to store the trailer and this boat does not include one. Here in Annapolis the only time I want the boat out of the water is for winterization.  

I guess I need to install a spare battery and bilge pump for insurance.  It is salt water and barnacles will attach without bottom paint so unfortunately I need to do that.  I can flush the boat after each use as I have fresh water hookups at the marina which should protect the engine and manifolds.

16 minutes ago, amarfanhar said:

Storage of the boat is most convenient at my marina .5 miles from my home and they do not have any boat lift slots available.  I dont have a place to store the trailer and this boat does not include one. Here in Annapolis the only time I want the boat out of the water is for winterization.  

I guess I need to install a spare battery and bilge pump for insurance.  It is salt water and barnacles will attach without bottom paint so unfortunately I need to do that.  I can flush the boat after each use as I have fresh water hookups at the marina which should protect the engine and manifolds.

I'm not saying you HAVE to do that. However I would strongly consider it. I might even go as far as putting a dedicated bilge pump with automatic switching on its own battery with a solar trickle charger. You could just tee it into the other Niobe pump line so you wouldn't have to drill. Good news is that there aren't any ballasts so there are fewer holes in the hull!

29 minutes ago, amarfanhar said:

It is salt water and barnacles will attach without bottom paint so unfortunately I need to do that.  

I lived on a boat in California. Back then Barnacles attached and needed to be cleaned regardless of paint or no paint. It was a long time ago so maybe paint has improved, but I'd take some time and investigate for sure. The worst is to pay to paint it, hurt the resale, hurt the look if your new to you 'by and have to pay to have it cleaned anyway.

I took it for a spin It felt nice but I had a concern that raised a red flag.  I loved the condition of the boat and it seems like a great buy but what do you all think of this:

1.  At startup there was a little throttle lag.  When I went to start up out of the water their was lag time between putting down the throttle and the engine responding.  Once at speed there wasnt an issue.  Just at the beginning to putting the throttle down. It seemed as if there may be a fuel issue.  He said it might be just bad gas as he hasn't run a new tank of gas through the engine.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:02 AM, amarfanhar said:

I took it for a spin It felt nice but I had a concern that raised a red flag.  I loved the condition of the boat and it seems like a great buy but what do you all think of this:

1.  At startup there was a little throttle lag.  When I went to start up out of the water their was lag time between putting down the throttle and the engine responding.  Once at speed there wasnt an issue.  Just at the beginning to putting the throttle down. It seemed as if there may be a fuel issue.  He said it might be just bad gas as he hasn't run a new tank of gas through the engine.

Was the engine warm?  I was reading through my engine manual the other day and it mentioned the electronics prevent full RPM until certain temperatures are reached.

On 5/2/2017 at 8:45 AM, Bean97 said:

Was the engine warm?  I was reading through my engine manual the other day and it mentioned the electronics prevent full RPM until certain temperatures are reached.

Engine was warm.  I think the spark plugs were old.  He replaced and said everything seems to be running much better.  I will check compression on Monday.  I put a deposit down.   Thanks for the thoughts on the warm up!

On 4/29/2017 at 0:57 PM, RTS said:

If the fuel injectors have never been cleaned/replaced...it is likely over due for that service

I'll look into that if the new spark plugs dont fix the issues.  Thanks!

On 5/5/2017 at 5:59 PM, amarfanhar said:

I'll look into that if the new spark plugs dont fix the issues.  Thanks!

I had mine for 13 years and it has been a great boat  for skiing,footin and wake boarding. I had tower and manual wedge

when I upgrade, I sold it to my nephew. It's been running good until recently when his issue resembled yours. On hammering the throttle boat would respond with hesitation and slow.  If he eased the throttle then it would speed up to WOT with out any problems. He did the spark plug thing all the vacuum lines ,injector cleaners etc.  it ended up being throttle sensor positioner was bad.  just an FYI

enjoy the boat. I sure did mine

20 hours ago, nutoz said:

I had mine for 13 years and it has been a great boat  for skiing,footin and wake boarding. I had tower and manual wedge

when I upgrade, I sold it to my nephew. It's been running good until recently when his issue resembled yours. On hammering the throttle boat would respond with hesitation and slow.  If he eased the throttle then it would speed up to WOT with out any problems. He did the spark plug thing all the vacuum lines ,injector cleaners etc.  it ended up being throttle sensor positioner was bad.  just an FYI

enjoy the boat. I sure did mine

Good advice thanks Nutoz!