Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking for a used truck - couple of basic questions

onwi

The RAM crew cab is as big as the Ford. 

The only cabs that are bigger would be the Tundra CrewMax or the RAM MegaCab. And I don't think you can get a 4th gen RAM 1500 with the MegaCab - you have to move up to a HD. 

Got a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 V8 2wd super crew. My boat is the lightest thing it tows. It's my work truck and I drive the hell out of it. 178,000 miles so far had to replace front wheel bearings, plugs and a coil, radiator, waterpump and stuff in that area, ujoints and driveshaft balance, Needing second set of brakes, on my second transmission and steering rack. Just putting that out there for what it's worth. Pulls the boat no problem and the inside is larger feeling than the chevy, Toyota  and dodge outside of the megacab. Might have something to do with the headroom from what I feel. I'm not partial to any brand  and like I said it's works so it gets used like a truck that's all I got. Sit in a few of them and if you're mechanically inclined get something older the electric power steering is scary had one burn up and lock left even though they said that shouldn't happen... yeah yeah. 

28 minutes ago, Andrew999 said:

Got a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 V8 2wd super crew. My boat is the lightest thing it tows. It's my work truck and I drive the hell out of it. 178,000 miles so far had to replace front wheel bearings, plugs and a coil, radiator, waterpump and stuff in that area, ujoints and driveshaft balance, Needing second set of brakes, on my second transmission and steering rack. Just putting that out there for what it's worth. Pulls the boat no problem and the inside is larger feeling than the chevy, Toyota  and dodge outside of the megacab. Might have something to do with the headroom from what I feel. I'm not partial to any brand  and like I said it's works so it gets used like a truck that's all I got. Sit in a few of them and if you're mechanically inclined get something older the electric power steering is scary had one burn up and lock left even though they said that shouldn't happen... yeah yeah. 

Second transmission with only 178K on it?  When did the first one go out?

6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Second transmission with only 178K on it?  When did the first one go out?

About 10,000 miles ago so 2.5 months for me. Work has me doing stupid stuff with this truck got $ to fix it but not buy a f-250 like I need. It was doing this surging thing at odd times In first or second. When it got up on the rack the transmission output shaft had an 1/6 of a turn just loose play. 

If it was me I'd have them buy me an old 97 f250 with 300kmi and the 7.3L like I did at my last job. They still have that truck no problems. 

I'm on my 2nd supercrew F150. First was a 2014 v8 4wd and current one is a 2016 ecoboost 4wd. Paid under $32k new for both and when I traded the 14 in on the 16 I got $28.5k for it with 30k miles on it. Both were 3.55 gears and had all the standard options, power everything, keyless, remote start, backup camera, etc but not leather or heated seats etc.  I personally think the ecoboost tows better, although the v8 did just fine. Ecoboost will cruise along at 2k rpms while the v8 would kick down on some kills to 3200ish rpm for the climb. 

I'll likely repeat again in a few years, happy ford owner here. 

12 hours ago, onwi said:

I think the 14 is right where I want to end up.  Not a new model like the 15 yet not as expensive as the 16's I find.

As for the Ram.  I have not gone out to sit in them (and I will), but the photos make it seem like the largest cab is still not as deep as the fords.  And carseats right now are huge.  Its uncomfortable to sit in the front passenger seat of my explorer because the seat is right behind it.

As for the Tundra.  They seem to be really rare in my price/mileage range.  Rear space looks sufficient though.

Surprisingly the backseat in a Tundra crewmax is pretty good size.  The Tundra is definitely not the most powerful truck out there for 1/2 tons.  Quite a few guys I work with have them and everyone who owns one has nothing but good things to say about them.  I am getting right around 14-15mpg in town.  Not sure about towing yet (have not tracked it) but I am sure it's 7-9mpg.

You can find a pre 2014 for under 30k with relatively low miles (40-60k).  The body style changed in 2014 so they demand more money.  Pretty sure it's the same 5.7L engine and trans combo from 2007-2017.

23 hours ago, oldjeep said:

The main thing to look for is that the hitch is a class 4 or 5, Ford especially has been using mainly class 3 hitches for years and that really limits what you can tow non-weight distributing just from a hitch rating standpoint.

This has certainly been a big surprise to me.  I knew about the issue regarding 5k and the weight distributing hitch, but I was not aware of the differences in hitch style/construction.  Obviously your weakest point is your limiting factor.  The weaker hitch seems no different then towing with an undersized ball or mount.  I'm sure there is a factor of safety, but this is definitely pushing me to look more into the other vehicles.

1 hour ago, onwi said:

This has certainly been a big surprise to me.  I knew about the issue regarding 5k and the weight distributing hitch, but I was not aware of the differences in hitch style/construction.  Obviously your weakest point is your limiting factor.  The weaker hitch seems no different then towing with an undersized ball or mount.  I'm sure there is a factor of safety, but this is definitely pushing me to look more into the other vehicles.

With any truck you need to look for the capacity stamp/sticker on the hitch.  This isn't really a knock on Ford, most people buy a truck and never tow at all or tow some little utility trailer.  The other dumb thing people do is use Class 3 draw bars in their class 4 hitch, or balls that are only rated for 3500 or 5K on their class 4/5 hitches

Edited by oldjeep

So- because we all know that F150s are used constantly for towing these boats and that F150s are using a class 3 hitch - is this just not really a big deal and I'm worrying over nothing?

@onwi, it isn't just the f150. Any current (or previous) body style full size GM SUV has the same 5000 pound limitation on the hitch unless you go WDH. And I have never seen a boat with WDH. 

It doesn't mean it isn't a problem, but I have yet to hear of a failure. (Que the posts with misinformation about insurance coverage now).  

• Like 2

Damn confusing, IMO.  I just figured I'd look up a model, cab, engine and maybe one other thing.  Reading the Nautique safe towing thread mentioned that different testing methods are used by different manufacturers.  I'm just going to buy the one that has the best cup holders.......

• Like 2
1 hour ago, onwi said:

So- because we all know that F150s are used constantly for towing these boats and that F150s are using a class 3 hitch - is this just not really a big deal and I'm worrying over nothing?

You can get a class 4 on an F150, it is just not the most common hitch.  I wouldn't tow over 5K with a Class 3.

Not like it is a huge deal, if you buy a truck with a class 3 then just spend $200 or so and put a bigger hitch on it

I think my confusion came from the fact that my local dealer advertises the class III like its an upgrade.  Its plastered on the first picture of the truck with 3 exclamation marks behind it.  For awhile there I was convinced that Ford didn't have a class IV option.

21 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You can get a class 4 on an F150, it is just not the most common hitch.  I wouldn't tow over 5K with a Class 3.

Not like it is a huge deal, if you buy a truck with a class 3 then just spend $200 or so and put a bigger hitch on it

Not possible to upgrade on trucks like the GM SUVs. It is part of the frame. 

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I said truck ;)    SUV != truck

You say potato.  I say tomato. :)

If you are talking TRUCKS, just buy the RAM and you don't have to upgrade......

8 hours ago, onwi said:

I personally think this is a tough call.  There are so many people that ignore or are ignorant of the hitch rating, but who tow without issue, that's its tough to label it a crisis waiting to happen.  But it would also be hard for me, personally, to just ignore the manufacturer ratings when I have actual knowledge of what they are.  In your situation, you are not forced to ignore the ratings because you are stuck with the wrong truck/hitch because you were unaware before you bought, so it seems to me like you ought to try and get a properly rated truck/hitch for your situation at the outset just for piece of mind.  But, of course, that is entirely your decision.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2017 at 3:21 PM, That Guy said:

I'm on my 2nd supercrew F150. First was a 2014 v8 4wd and current one is a 2016 ecoboost 4wd. Paid under $32k new for both and when I traded the 14 in on the 16 I got $28.5k for it with 30k miles on it. Both were 3.55 gears and had all the standard options, power everything, keyless, remote start, backup camera, etc but not leather or heated seats etc.  I personally think the ecoboost tows better, although the v8 did just fine. Ecoboost will cruise along at 2k rpms while the v8 would kick down on some kills to 3200ish rpm for the climb. 

I'll likely repeat again in a few years, happy ford owner here. 

You killed it for a 16 XLT 4 wheel at under 32000 with tow package , I'm assuming you mean a 2.7, I paid 32800 including trailer break controller with all power and  chrome for two wheel drive with 3.73 inc 4 oem mudguards and 2rear well liners in November of 16 sans leather, did you buy this in 17 recently, where was this and are you a relative of the dealer?????????

they did way over trade my "good" condition 2000 ram 5.9 at 2000(above XLT priceis before trade) but that doesn't explain the 2vs 4wd

Edited by granddaddy55