Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
onwi

Looking for a used truck - couple of basic questions

Recommended Posts

onwi

I'm looking to pick up a used truck.  30k max budget, obviously I'd prefer to be lower.  I'll be using this for my daily driver and I'll have baby carseats for the foreseeable future.  I'm comfortable with Fords and have narrowed down my search to F150s with the crewcab and short bed.  I'll likely end up in the 2014-esque model.  Lowest mileage possible and I don't need a leather interior or many of the other comforts.  Just a big cab, rear view camera and an appropriate tow rating.  

This brings me to my question.  I'd prefer to have the max tow rating to account for any boat I may purchase in the future.  I'd just rather cover it now then be worried about the truck later on when looking for a new boat.  It appears that this means I would want the 3.73 axle ratio, correct?  What does the axle ratio affect?  Is this a criteria for you all when searching, or is the small difference between towing capacities really not enough to factor into a purchase.  The 3.73 just seems rare.

For reference, I'll be jumping from towing with a vehicle with a 5k limit so at 9, 10 or 11k I always be much better off.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep

My .02

You can buy a brand new Hemi  8 speed Ram quad cab for around 30K, forget about the over priced F word ;)

http://ramtrucklakeelmo.furymotors.com/vehicle-details/2017-ram-1500-tradesman-4x4-quad-cab-64-box-lake-elmo-mn-id-17032854

http://www.jeffbelzersdodgeram.com/new/Ram/2017-Ram-1500-04517c500a0e0ae8307c0e355a7bc99f.htm

 

Or a crew

http://ramtrucklakeelmo.furymotors.com/vehicle-details/2017-ram-1500-tradesman-st-paul-mn-id-15849141

 

Now you won't get a rear view camera for that but there are plenty of cheap after market options if you actually need one

Edited by oldjeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAI
3 hours ago, onwi said:

I'm looking to pick up a used truck.  30k max budget, obviously I'd prefer to be lower.  I'll be using this for my daily driver and I'll have baby carseats for the foreseeable future.  I'm comfortable with Fords and have narrowed down my search to F150s with the crewcab and short bed.  I'll likely end up in the 2014-esque model.  Lowest mileage possible and I don't need a leather interior or many of the other comforts.  Just a big cab, rear view camera and an appropriate tow rating.  

This brings me to my question.  I'd prefer to have the max tow rating to account for any boat I may purchase in the future.  I'd just rather cover it now then be worried about the truck later on when looking for a new boat.  It appears that this means I would want the 3.73 axle ratio, correct?  What does the axle ratio affect?  Is this a criteria for you all when searching, or is the small difference between towing capacities really not enough to factor into a purchase.  The 3.73 just seems rare.

For reference, I'll be jumping from towing with a vehicle with a 5k limit so at 9, 10 or 11k I always be much better off.  Thanks.

When you say crewcab, you mean the SuperCrew, right?  You'll definitely like the SuperCrew space with kids in the back - I have 2 car seats in the back of mine and they can barely touch the back of the front seats with their feet.  I have 3.31 gears with the Eco and have no problems with my 23 LSV.

Edited by DAI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAI

You maybe could get a used one in the new body style in the XLT model touching the top of your target price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cole2001

I would go Toyota for the half tons! They seem very reliable and well worth the money. 

Edited by Cole2001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onwi
1 hour ago, DAI said:

When you say crewcab, you mean the SuperCrew, right?  You'll definitely like the SuperCrew space with kids in the back - I have 2 car seats in the back of mine and they can barely touch the back of the front seats with their feet.  I have 3.31 gears with the Eco and have no problems with my 23 LSV.

Yes, super crew. Sorry for the confusion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onwi
38 minutes ago, DAI said:

You maybe could get a used one in the new body style in the XLT model touching the top of your target price.

I maybe could. But it would likely be a 15, and I've been burned by buying the first model year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyanB

There is a lot more to a tow rating than getting the lowest (highest numerical number) gears. 

If tow rating is your main concern, look for something that has a "max tow" package. 

Also beware that the tow ratings can be a bit deceiving. It may be rated to tow 11,000 pounds, but you are likely to run over GVWR, GAWR, or the hitch rating well before you get to that 11000 pounds. 

IMO, if you are going to be towing more than 8500 or 9000 pounds, you should consider stepping up to a 2500. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rambino21

The newer ford v6 eco boosts with the twin turbos have tons of power and a super reliable engine. Id find one of those if your not looking for a larger diesel truck. Youll be blown away by the power...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ID AX

My .02

I've owned each brand of 1/2 ton and my '14 Fword150 is by far my favorite.  The EB is more than enough power and with my 5* tune I am getting 16mpg around town with 35" Nittos. (That's hand calc'd not lie o meter) 

Test drive and buy what you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onwi

V6 Ecoboost power is certainly sufficient for my current and future use.  Best case scenario, in the future I have a 22' or 23' boat.  Don't see an M/G/Ri in my future.

I just wanted to see if others who were towing the variety of boats represented here (with 1/2 tons) go out of their way to ensure they have the absolute max tow capacity of the 1/2 ton model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ID AX
4 minutes ago, onwi said:

I just wanted to see if others who were towing the variety of boats represented here (with 1/2 tons) go out of their way to ensure they have the absolute max tow capacity of the 1/2 ton model.

I sought out a max tow with the 3.73 gears.  I honestly don't know that 3.55 or 3.21 is going to be a big drop off.  Especially if you tow on flat ground and don't climb hills.  We pull some good size hills and I've always gone to the largest gears I can.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman

I just picked up a used 2014 Tundra Platinum crewmax 4x4.  The Tundra has a 10k+ towing capacity.  It is having no problems towing my LSV which is close to 7k pounds.  If you get the tow package it will have 4.11 gears.

The 2007+ 5.7L will have same running gear as a newer Tundra.  You could find a really nice used Tundra for under 30k.  Just an option for you, there are a lot of nice trucks out there these days.  The Tundra 5.7L/6 speed trans are very reliable and proven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash

Check the tow rating on an F-150 without a weight distributing hitch before you pop for one.  I think you will find its 5k pounds, IIRC.  It can be a pita to find a weight distributing hitch with a boat trailer and surge breaks, and they don't make a WDH for a trailer that has a swing away tongue.  There is a long thread on this on Planet Nautique.  

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/general-nautique-discussion/453797-serious-thoughts-about-safe-towing-g-series-nautiques

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
malibu2004

A Ford Max Tow would pull any Malibu boat just fine. You just have to make sure the boat is loaded properly and the truck isn't over loaded with gear and people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
90oldskool

Went with the 3.73 knowing i would put bigger tires on the truck . 3.55 is pretty common as well. With my 33's , my affected gears are now about 3.55 and it has more then enough power. the 2014+ have more of the trouble issues resolved. the 2011-13 have a few issues. ( i own a 12, and it is in the shop right now for warranty work) 

Edited by 90oldskool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onwi

I think the 14 is right where I want to end up.  Not a new model like the 15 yet not as expensive as the 16's I find.

As for the Ram.  I have not gone out to sit in them (and I will), but the photos make it seem like the largest cab is still not as deep as the fords.  And carseats right now are huge.  Its uncomfortable to sit in the front passenger seat of my explorer because the seat is right behind it.

As for the Tundra.  They seem to be really rare in my price/mileage range.  Rear space looks sufficient though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep

3.55 is pretty a standard gear ratio among all the brands.  Max tow ratios among the brands range between 3.73 and 4.10

 

The main thing to look for is that the hitch is a class 4 or 5, Ford especially has been using mainly class 3 hitches for years and that really limits what you can tow non-weight distributing just from a hitch rating standpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldjeep
Just now, onwi said:

I think the 14 is right where I want to end up.  Not a new model like the 15 yet not as expensive as the 16's I find.

As for the Ram.  I have not gone out to sit in them (and I will), but the photos make it seem like the largest cab is still not as deep as the fords.  And carseats right now are huge.  Its uncomfortable to sit in the front passenger seat of my explorer because the seat is right behind it.

As for the Tundra.  They seem to be really rare in my price/mileage range.  Rear space looks sufficient though.

Make sure you know if you are looking at a crew cab or a quad cab if you check out the RAM.  The crew has a much bigger back seat.  My 6ft 2 son can sit behind me 6ft and not have his knees in the seat, car seats should be no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WETnWILD

After once buying a trailer from a dealer who said my truck could pull anything (after later finding out the truck was under-rated), you're definitely doing a good job thinking of these things in advance. I found that trailer life mag has published tow ratings for each year since at least 1999. You can find them here: http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/ I think it's really helpful. If you're looking at Fords, you can compare years and models/trim levels. Also look at what boat/trailer/etc you might want to pull in the future and its weight. Consider that your load of people, gear, diaper bags (ours always weighed a ton it seemed like), etc will affect the weight. That also goes for the weight of stuff in the boat/trailer you're pulling. Here's a link to Trailer Life's 2014 guide: http://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2014.pdf The Fords start on page 23. Happy Hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjackkrash
23 hours ago, oldjeep said:

The main thing to look for is that the hitch is a class 4 or 5, Ford especially has been using mainly class 3 hitches for years and that really limits what you can tow non-weight distributing just from a hitch rating standpoint.

This point gets glossed over a lot.  5k lbs. isn't a very big boat by wake/surf boat standards once you toss in gas and gear.  

Edited by jjackkrash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wedge88

Just for reference... I just traded a 2013 Ford F150 Crew FX4 Ecoboost, Max Tow with hard tonneau cover, leather (No Nav) with 40K miles for $31500 so you will be at the top of your budget unless you get higher miles or drop to an XLT model with Ford.  Ford's may be overpriced but because of that they hold their value extremely well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onwi
9 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Just for reference... I just traded a 2013 Ford F150 Crew FX4 Ecoboost, Max Tow with hard tonneau cover, leather (No Nav) with 40K miles for $31500 so you will be at the top of your budget unless you get higher miles or drop to an XLT model with Ford.  Ford's may be overpriced but because of that they hold their value extremely well.  

There are tons around me that are in my range.  Just skipping the leather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onwi
50 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Make sure you know if you are looking at a crew cab or a quad cab if you check out the RAM.  The crew has a much bigger back seat.  My 6ft 2 son can sit behind me 6ft and not have his knees in the seat, car seats should be no problem.

I'm definitely looking at the crew and not the quad.  Father in law has the quad.  I'll look at the crews in person.  So many of the online pictures are deceiving (taken from the front, but you cant see the front seat) to make things look right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...