Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Malibu Response LXi (383 Hammerhead)

torrey151

Hey all,

Thinking of buying an 05 Response LXI with the 383 Hammerhead.  I'm a bit worried about the 383 as I've read a lot about the oil issues.  I have yet to test the boat and see if it has the new dipstick. Here is a link to said boat  http://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Malibu-Response-LXi-383-Hammerhead--for-sale-Deep-Creek-Lake-Maryland-59590.aspx  It has not been taken out of storage yet, once it is, I'm heading up to have a trial.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions?  This will be my first inboard and 2nd boat.  Grew up skiing behind a friends Nautiques and Mastercrafts.  Heard folks speak highly of Malibus.

When I used to slalom, I was above average.  Haven't gotten up on one in years (drop central now).  Kids are getting into skiing (and wakeboarding).  My son prefers to slalom though. I know this one is a true ski boat, and don't care too much about wake size for boarding.  No one in my family will turn pro, I just want a good, reliable inboard.  Anything I should look for, or be concerned about?

That seems like a heck of a good price for that boat with 600 hrs.  Similar LXI with a 5.7 go for that around here.  Same checks as any other 12 year old boat, compression check, look for leaks, run the heck out of it and watch temp.

Ad says trailer not included, and the trailer has a Sea Ray logo on it. Price may be a bit high due to that as a new trailer is 3-5k.

Boat is beautiful! Needs some cleaning and maybe minor repairs inside but those colors and that tower are really, really nice. 

--That body RLXi has a very low bow and the hull doesn't hit it's lowest point until back near the windshield, so it's notorious for dipping the bow when slowing down or going over rollers. EDIT: all of our DDs will do that, and some VDrives too, just take some experience to lessen the possibility.

--Slalom wake is world class and the board sports wake will be plenty for beginner to intermediate. Should have the classic rampy Malibu wakes. With any technique at all they should get plenty of air.

Enjoy the water test. Always something to be learned.

Edited by jk13

no trailer.  I wouldn't need one actually as I would be storing it with them over the winter and they pull them out.  I do know some of the history of the boat.  it was used by one of the ski instructors at a marina up there.  They upgraded and sold it, and now its being sold again.  It was well taken care of by the ski school.  Hopefully the other owner didn't dork it up too badly.  It does look great.  looking forward to getting up there and putting it through its paces.  Then I'll be on here all the time.  Very helpful forum!  Thanks to all who have commented.

This may make me a total Noob, but if someone could take a look at this picture and tell me what that switch is on the left hoses.  I've never seen one of those before.382489.jpeg

14 minutes ago, torrey151 said:

This may make me a total Noob, but if someone could take a look at this picture and tell me what that switch is on the left hoses.  I've never seen one of those before.382489.jpeg

The metal thing with the knob in the middle? It's the Perfect Pass servo.

If your looking for a reliable, family boat, I think I'd wait for a Monsoon. With a trailer. The Hammerhead was known to burn oil in 04 & 05. Not that they failed, but it was annoying to have to add oil all the time.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

ahh.  good to know.  My buddies 06 Nautique has perfect pass, but I've never seen that thing on his engine. Thanks for that info.  My guess is I'll be able to get it for a couple thousand less, maybe more.  Its been there a while.  Seems no one up there wants a direct drive ski boat anymore.  Everyone is surfing. Works out well for me.  Now if they will just let me know when its out of storage!!

• 4 weeks later...

So did you go drive it?  I had called about that one when I was looking for an LXi.  Love the colors.  They quoted me $3,500 for a new trailer, so it was above my budget.  It has a Scarpa Supression Plate installed (not a wedge).  It is my understanding that the SSP is typically used to make the wake more barefoot friendly, but can have an adverse affect on a slalom wake.  I would imagine the 383 is better for barefooting as well?

Powbmpbs --I have not yet driven it.  It was still in storage a couple weeks ago, and they guy was supposed to email/call when it was out.  Maybe he didn't take me seriously.  I have my eye on another at the moment -- a 2004 Sunsetter LXI.

Yeaitsslo -- Deep creek lake isn't the most ideal place to foot, unless its the crack of dawn, or right before dusk.  So much traffic, so many surf boats, crazy windy.  If I were to buy it, I'm mot sure I'd need/want it, so selling to you wouldn't be a problem.  Heck, maybe I'd just give it to you, though you can pay shipping.  :-)  And send me a 6 pack!  I'll keep you posted.

I have an 06 HH 383 (manufactured July 2005), I have had zero problems with it.  It burns a qt of oil about every 50 hours.  I don't see that as excessive since most of the time it is running it is pulling someone.  Others have reported problems, so maybe I just have a good one.