Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Me Boat = Project Time.

BenUrbanski

New to site as I just picked up my first boat.  Got this new to me, 1997 SSLX two weeks ago in Minnesota for a decent buy I think.  Boat has 700 hours on it but has been very well maintained/cared for.  Boat is all original interior, gel coat still shines, and trailer has brand new bearings and rims/tires.  This boat is going to be a family/friends boat and will be pulling beginners through to advanced in all sports (Hopefully).  So here is a list of things that need to be done, and a list of things that I am interested in doing.  Will be looking for feedback/direction on lots of things I'm sure. 

Need to be Done. 

Bilge needs replacing as I did test and is partially seized

1 Speedometer doesn't work

Thinking of Doing/Tackling:

Adding Marriage Saver Speed Control (Perfect Pass or Readysteady) -  would love feedback here

Upgrading Stereo (Has Original Tape Deck) :lol:

Ballast of some sort for wakeboarding and surfing (who has a sunsetter with a good surf setup?)

Build or Buy Wake Shaper (Probably build a DIY one to start)

Add 1 more Tower Rack

Buy Boom for beginners/kids???

Add Depth Finder

Add Heater

NewBoat.jpg

NewBoat3.jpg

NewBoat4.jpg

NewBoat6.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome Ben,

I love your "marriage saver" terminology!

Bilge pump is easy of course.  You can solve your speedo issue and save your marriage by getting a Perfect Pass Star Gazer (GPS) wake edition unit.  Order direct from PP unless you really want to buy it somewhere else.  http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=systems

You're going to need a lot of ballast for surfing - and have very little free board.  A few here have successfully surfed a direct drive.  Good luck and have fun.

I installed the Ride steady system on a '93 sunsetter (paddle wheel) about 5 years ago, it worked great.  Currently have the original paddle wheel Perfect Pass on my '00, and it's good too.  They truly are marriage savers. 

Edited by MadMan

@BenUrbanski:  You note all types of sports, so I assume skiing is part of the mix.  With that, Perfect Pass was the standard and tournament approved speed control system until Zero Off took control of that part of the market (not by performance but by financial steps) and is still acceptable for many regional tournaments.  PP works well and set up correctly does a good job of holding speed, check their website for more information.  I have no knowledge of the other system you mention so I can't make a valid comparison.  Non functional speedo might simply be a plugged pickup or air supply line, if you use compressed air to blow out the lines, make sure you disconnect it from the speedo so you don't damage the internals.

• Like 1

Yup bought DD for price and also because Slalom skiing is still what calm sunny mornings are for. Ya don't think I need Zero off as competitive skiing is behind me, and think either PP Stargazer of Hydrophase Ridesteady will be fine.  Well back to garage to find see if speedometers are plugged or if something is broken,  just want to diagnose even though doing to be adding GPS soon.  Can PP Stargazer work/show speed on remaining (2nd) speedometer as well?

@BenUrbanski:  with the interest in slalom still part of the mix, I would recommend PP.  The PP display will show speed along with the set speed.  There are several pictures of what is displayed on the PP website, they also make a GPS speedo if you wanted to add that.  Also, as noted by many, their customer service is excellent.  Again, I don't have experience with the systems more geared to wake sports and can't compare with them.  ZO is not compatible with any pre 2007 boat.

When testing this boat the one speedometer didn't work and previous owner said it did then he put away for winter. (Which I believe now).  Well turns out one of the brass balancing??? tubes must of had water in it and froze/cracked at the bottom.  Picked up some fittings and epoxied them into tube and pressure tested, all passed so hopefully all fixed now. Anybody else had this problem/deal with it.  Can you buy new tubes for future reference.

NewBoat5.jpg

4 minutes ago, Shastasurf said:

Hit me up in a month or so when I pull my pitots.   U can have one of mine.

Ill be adding GPS speed control so won't even need once I get that installed.  You doing the same or already have, which is why you are uninstalling pitots? 

Congrats and welcome to the 'crew!!

PP would be high on my list. It is a marriage saver?

Ive tried and given up on surfing my SSLxi but some have done it. There are lots of threads.

how old are the kids? That would dictate whether a boom is a good investment 

great first post btw...we like pics?

On 25/04/2017 at 9:51 AM, BenUrbanski said:

Ill be adding GPS speed control so won't even need once I get that installed.  You doing the same or already have, which is why you are uninstalling pitots? 

That's a nice looking boat - looks like great condition ?  Re your speedo issue just remember GPS is only good for lakes not rivers due to tidal flow.  Enjoy the the new toy  :cheers:

Ok so I am going to order PP Stargazer Wake this week, just wondering has anybody installed a 5" gauge in dash that originally had 3.5" gauges??

@BenUrbanski:  Are you changing size because you want the larger screen?  PP makes both sizes, you can see options on their website.  I made my own dash for my boat, it was simply a flat metal plate with a couple of bends, so it was an easy fabrication job but the dash is not the same as your setup.  I did end up doing a more complex carbon fiber dash, but could easily be a metal plate or a fiberglass panel.  You might try to look at the Great Lakes Skipper site, they may have a dash plate you could purchase as a guinea pig.

Ya was thinking larger size would be better, but after looking over current setup, not worth hassle for extra screen size.  So going to just order the 3.5".  Now should I go Chrome bezel on PP, or stay with matching stock black look.

• Like 1

@martinarcher  /Anybody else???  Time to pick your brain on a couple of Sunsetter questions.  1.  What Ballast setup/bags should I buy for boat, if looking to be able to surf.  2.  What size bag fits in the center ski locker.  3.  Currently have stock prop, any thoughts if I do upgrade.  4.  Transom or Through Hull Depth Finder?

martinarcher

Here's my PP install in case it is helpful...

My pre surfgate setup was all about weight on the surf side.  I actually had a custom surf bag made for the Sunsetter that laid on the floor and had a step up onto the seat so I could use all the space on that side of the boat and not stack 500lb bags.  It worked really well but is now just sitting in the garage on the workbench since I run gates and weigh the boat evenly with 700lbs on the regular side and 500lbs on the goofy side each side now.  The 300lb bag fit fine in the locker but will pop the door off if you don;t pay attention when filling it.  I've replaced that latch a couple times. :)  If you put a good bit of weight on the surf side of the engine and a locker full of weight these boats surf pretty well.  

I've got a CNC 3 blade ACME on the boat now and it slips a bit when turning the boat hard.  I had a 4 blade on the Skier and was happier with it.  I've been meaning to play with the prop but the one on it gets the job done and pulls like a freight train for slalom starts and when we are loaded with ballast so I haven't spent time playing with props yet.

I have a thru hull depth finder and as long at the little cup is full of antifreeze (I use pink stuff) it works fine.  I had a transom mount on the Skier and it was much more accurate IMO but after gel coating the transom on this boat when I removed the pickup tubes and went to a paddle wheel I hated to hang something off a clean transom.  

Have fun with it!  Sure looks like a clean one!

martinarcher

Here's the custom bag we used to run.  Bigger is better.  :rockon:  I figured build it big and I can fill it until I'm happy with the list of the boat with the people we have on board.  It worked great.  

IMAG0986-1.jpg

IMAG0983.jpg

Wow, ya that bag is massive, ya I grabbed boat 2 weeks ago for a good deal (12K),  was planning on either making a suck gate or some platform gates and running either 1000 under seat, and 300 in locker or slide as far foward into bow as possible, or dual 750 and some bow weight.  Going to probably order dual 750lbs and go from there.

I surf regularly on a response with 1100lbs of bags and a wedge.  It's not the biggest surf wave but it works for all levels.  Airs and 360s are possible.  This video is old but 90% of the surfing shown is behind the response.

1 hour ago, BenUrbanski said:

@Fffrank  sweet vid, ya where were you putting bags in response and you make/use any wake shapers? 

No shapers (they didn't exist 5 years ago.)  I believe it's a 550lb on surf side and 550lb behind engine + wedge.  Surfs goofy or regular (but you do need to move the side bag to the other side.)

43 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

No shapers (they didn't exist 5 years ago.)  I believe it's a 550lb on surf side and 550lb behind engine + wedge.  Surfs goofy or regular (but you do need to move the side bag to the other side.)

response or response lxi?