Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

System overhaul guidance required

csparks13

I just purchased an 05 23 LSV. Current system is ok but I want to upgrade to Wetsounds. It has 4 Alpine SPS-170A (car speakers???) in the interior and 4 on the tower. One is blown I think. Makes a rattle noise at high volume. I've already installed a Wetsounds WS-420BT, a JVC KD-R97MBS head unit and RM-RK62 Transom remote. 

I plan to put 4-6 XS-650's in the interior. I'd need to cut new holes in the bow for the extra set. Run two Rev 10's on the tower. I also need suggestions on a sub. Not sure if I should go with a 10" or a 12". I also have no clue which amps I need to push it all. 

I open to using any brand for the amp. 

Any suggestions and comments welcomed. 

77204785-B0BA-42D1-A457-85E3B2C4EEFD.jpg

Syn-DX4 or original Syn-4 for the Rev-10 tower speakers. Or the Syn-DX2.3HP if you think you might add a 2nd pair later. 

Sub, go with a 12". Typically there is a very little price difference between a 10 and 12 woofer of the same series. Enclosure wise, they would both require one of about the same size. The larger woofer will offer more output and deeper bass. The 05 23 lsv offers plenty of space for an easy enclosure install. Once the woofer is chosen, the final amp(s) choice will fall into place. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Syn-DX4 or original Syn-4 for the Rev-10 tower speakers. Or the Syn-DX2.3HP if you think you might add a 2nd pair later. 

Sub, go with a 12". Typically there is a very little price difference between a 10 and 12 woofer of the same series. Enclosure wise, they would both require one of about the same size. The larger woofer will offer more output and deeper bass. The 05 23 lsv offers plenty of space for an easy enclosure install. Once the woofer is chosen, the final amp(s) choice will fall into place. 

Thanks for the replies.

Syn-dx4 for the towers. I'm only interested in one pair. What should I run the interiors with? 

I'll go with the XS-12 also. 

Ok, so 3 pair total in-boats and an XS-12. As long as one of those pairs is not under the windshield, then I would suggest the Syn-DX6 for the in-boat setup. 600W rms for the woofer and 100W rms for each in-boat.

Now, if you have a bow pair, windshield pair and main cabin pair, HTX-6 for the in-boats and HTX-2 for the XS-12 

I wouldn't worry about speakers in the bow.  They really don't do anything for the captain's experience, and it can be nice to have a quieter part of the boat for people who don't want to rock out all the time.

System selection is very similar to mine.  I installed six XS-650's in the cabin driven by the older Wetsounds HT6.  Have a pair of Rev 10's on the illusion tower powered by the Wetsounds Syn4, and a 12" Memphis Audio sub in custom enclosure powered by the Wetsounds HT2.  I put line-level controllers on both the sub and tower speakers.  Good balance, lots of volume, and looks good.

Definitely looks like a boat from the DFW market.

A 4-ohm (if bridging) XS-12 subwoofer. Preferably ported, but sealed sounds good too.

With a single pair of Rev10s, power these with a little excess and you'll never add a second pair.  

I also like the SYNDX6 (all in-boats) and SYNDX4 (tower) amplifier combo.

Don't exactly remember the last year for dash speakers, but if speakers are atop the dash they need dedicated channels. If available, dash speakers should have dark cones and grills.  

Before you cast off the defective speaker, check the internal speaker wire, tinsel leads, and cone proximity, as the slightest contact under excursion can be a cause of the noise you described. Speaker frame warp (not seated perfectly flush/even all around) is a possible cause. A small air leak can also make a big racket (like a buzz) at high levels. All issues other than the usual truly broken/blown speaker issues.  

Edited by David
46 minutes ago, David said:

Definitely looks like a boat from the DFW market.

A 4-ohm (if bridging) XS-12 subwoofer. Preferably ported, but sealed sounds good too.

With a single pair of Rev10s, power these with a little excess and you'll never add a second pair.  

I also like the SYNDX6 (all in-boats) and SYNDX4 (tower) amplifier combo.

Don't exactly remember the last year for dash speakers, but if speakers are atop the dash they need dedicated channels. If available, dash speakers should have dark cones and grills.  

Before you cast off the defective speaker, check the internal speaker wire, tinsel leads, and cone proximity, as the slightest contact under excursion can be a cause of the noise you described. Speaker frame warp (not seated perfectly flush/even all around) is a possible cause. A small air leak can also make a big racket (like a buzz) at high levels. All issues other than the usual truly broken/blown speaker issues.  

David, you are correct. I picked it up a few weeks back north of Dallas.

I'll cut the plan to add bow speakers. I'm sure the wife will like having an escape from the tunes anyway. So I'll have 2 pairs of 650's and a 12" sub for the in boats. One of those are in fact on the dash. What's the deal with those needing special attention? Probably a rookie question. Does this mean the SYN-DX6 is not the best option for this setup? 

sound reflecting off the windshield causes these to be much louder then the other speakers. adjust the amp ch for this. 

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, csparks13 said:

David, you are correct. I picked it up a few weeks back north of Dallas.

I'll cut the plan to add bow speakers. I'm sure the wife will like having an escape from the tunes anyway. So I'll have 2 pairs of 650's and a 12" sub for the in boats. One of those are in fact on the dash. What's the deal with those needing special attention? Probably a rookie question. Does this mean the SYN-DX6 is not the best option for this setup? 

The windshield pair will be a little dominant while sitting in the captains chair or observers seat. Having them on their own chnls separate from the other main cabin speakers, allows for them to be tuned accordingly.

The Syn-dx6 is the ideal choice 

5 minutes ago, MLA said:

Sub in a pair of 8 inchers in the cabin. They'll fit. As others have said the dash speakers need to be set at lower gain than other cabin speakers - so on their own channel pair.