Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Several Malibu Dealers

doughickey

Malibu has recently added FIVE new malibu Dealers in Ontario Canada..... all within a 100 mile radius of each other. What gives? I also checked out the website of the "old" Malibu Dealer..... no mention of Malibu any more. (Note: This single Ontario Malibu Dealer added Mastercraft to their line-up last year. I always thought this might cause a bit of a shake-up.

Heck, I know we have lots of nice lakes here in Ontario.... and nice weather for 3 months.... but heck, to go from 1 dealer to 5 seems quite excessive.

Is Malibu trying to flood the market with new dealers? Is this a play to impress a potential Malibu Corp buyer with their coverage? Why the change? Is this just in Canada.... or a trial to see how it works before they go and implement across the US?

Something's cookin'!

(I haven't called the former dealer (Sun & Ski) to ask any questions. Don't know if they'd answer.

Anybody have any idea what's up?

Maybe to add some competition / lower the sale price. Rather than have one dealer make 8 to 10 grand per boat lower the price and increase consumer demand? Walmart approach?

Our dealer sells near to 150 new boats per year at 8 grand per boat it's huge money for what he has into it.

I personally would like to see more dealers, might save me a couple grand on a new one.

Doug,

Spoke to Paul Singer today at Wakestock regarding this change and he's pretty Stoked about it. It's all about customer service..

There are so many lakes and so many boaters in the area, unfortunely one dealer was getting overwealmed.

Interesting on how Sun and Ski isn't part of "Team Malibu Ontario" and the fact that the showroom in Bala is only Mastercrafts now. Also that their website has all reference of Malibu off aswell.

hmmm

Also talked to the General Area manager for Malibu Ontario, was a really nice guy, they are planning lots of neat events in the area for the next year. Some WOW's and VIP night at Wakestock too.

http://www.teammalibuontario.com

Edited by GTI2lo
Doug,

Spoke to Paul Singer today at Wakestock regarding this change and he's pretty Stoked about it. It's all about customer service..

There are so many lakes and so many boaters in the area, unfortunely one dealer was getting overwealmed.

Interesting on how Sun and Ski isn't part of "Team Malibu Ontario" and the fact that the showroom in Bala is only Mastercrafts now. Also that their website has all reference of Malibu off aswell.

hmmm

Also talked to the General Area manager for Malibu Ontario, was a really nice guy, they are planning lots of neat events in the area for the next year. Some WOW's and VIP night at Wakestock too.

Doug and GTI12lo,

My two cents... This sounds like total crap!!! "It's all about customer service"??? If that was the case Mailibu would put in a dealer in the east, west, south and north not all in the Muskoka area. And that being said, why would they give it to a dealer that sells every imaginable product from tin boats, bass boats, pontoon boats, probably paddle boats when they already had a specialized dealer for inboard ski boats and wakeboard boats. We are buying specialized pieces of equipment and when I buy my next boat I want to buy it from a specialized dealer...and I couldn't care less if they were a multi line dealer (ie. Mastercraft, Malibu, Moomba) but I do want that specialized sales and service. It sounds like Mailbu is pissed that Sun and Ski took on Mastercraft. Who cares??? I don't think if you have a multi line dealership that you are going to sell any more Mastercrafts off of your potential Mailibu customers. If you're going to buy a Malibu you're going to buy a Malibu. And I am talking from experience from selling multi line products out of one location. What it does drive is customers to and through your dealership.

And another thing...Sun and Ski was awesome at customer service.Period. And they continue to impress me. No I am not friends or family with anyone there but when you get treated the way I have been treated by them, you stick up for them. I had a tonne of very serious problems with my boat when new (engine related) and Sun and Ski went above and beyond (Malibu's slogan) to make it right.

I doubt it very much if Sun and Ski was being "overwhelmed". Selling and servicing ski and wake board boats was and is their focus. Why would any dealer get "overwhelmed" with their core business. Do you really think this "new guy" is going to be able to service us any better when they are doing "everything under the sun". I think not.

I'm sorry for the tone of this post but it really makes me angry when these companies (Malibu) say they are doing it "for customer service" and lying through their teeth. I still say if that was the case they would have set up someone in say for example London area, Kingston area, Ottawa area and left Sun and Ski to continue to do the amazing job they do! Malibu's just P.O'd they took on Mastercraft.

Does this not make you angry Doug? I remember reading a post of your about how great Sun and Ski was with repairing (I think) your waterpump?

Oh by the way...I heard Malibu sold the company. Has anyone else heard that? If it's true we all are in for a crappy ride.

Doug,

hmmm

Doug and GTI12lo,

My two cents... This sounds like total crap!!! "It's all about customer service"??? If that was the case Mailibu would put in a dealer in the east, west, south and north not all in the Muskoka area. And that being said, why would they give it to a dealer that sells every imaginable product from tin boats, bass boats, pontoon boats, probably paddle boats when they already had a specialized dealer for inboard ski boats and wakeboard boats. We are buying specialized pieces of equipment and when I buy my next boat I want to buy it from a specialized dealer...and I couldn't care less if they were a multi line dealer (ie. Mastercraft, Malibu, Moomba) but I do want that specialized sales and service. It sounds like Mailbu is pissed that Sun and Ski took on Mastercraft. Who cares??? I don't think if you have a multi line dealership that you are going to sell any more Mastercrafts off of your potential Mailibu customers. If you're going to buy a Malibu you're going to buy a Malibu. And I am talking from experience from selling multi line products out of one location. What it does drive is customers to and through your dealership.

And another thing...Sun and Ski was awesome at customer service.Period. And they continue to impress me. No I am not friends or family with anyone there but when you get treated the way I have been treated by them, you stick up for them. I had a tonne of very serious problems with my boat when new (engine related) and Sun and Ski went above and beyond (Malibu's slogan) to make it right.

I doubt it very much if Sun and Ski was being "overwhelmed". Selling and servicing ski and wake board boats was and is their focus. Why would any dealer get "overwhelmed" with their core business. Do you really think this "new guy" is going to be able to service us any better when they are doing "everything under the sun". I think not.

I'm sorry for the tone of this post but it really makes me angry when these companies (Malibu) say they are doing it "for customer service" and lying through their teeth. I still say if that was the case they would have set up someone in say for example London area, Kingston area, Ottawa area and left Sun and Ski to continue to do the amazing job they do! Malibu's just P.O'd they took on Mastercraft.

Does this not make you angry Doug? I remember reading a post of your about how great Sun and Ski was with repairing (I think) your waterpump?

Oh by the way...I heard Malibu sold the company. Has anyone else heard that? If it's true we all are in for a crappy ride.

I don't know anything about what's happening up there, but I know I talked to a Malibu dealer that was thinking of adding Mastercraft to their lineup. Malibu was not happy about it at all and the idea was dropped.

Doug,

hmmm

Doug and GTI12lo,

Am I angry.... well, no. However, I am disappointed that for whatever reason, Sun & Ski is no longer a Malibu Dealer. Yes, they gave me fantastic service when I needed them 2 years ago. I spoke with the owner at the Jan Boat Show and expressed my hapiness with them adding Mastercraft. My reasons = that would only INCREASE their focus on repair and service of competition tow boats (as opposed to fixing fishing motors, selling pontton boats and paddle boats etc etc etc ).

Will I still use Sun & Ski for service? Absolutely. They've earned my loyalty. As for the 5 new guys, time will tell.

As for adding Mastercraft last year. That happened when the local (Muskoka) dealer stopped being a Mastercraft dealer. (Gordon Bay Marina). By the way, Gordon Bay sells several boat lines...... so Mastercraft was just a small part of their sales & service. At least when Sun & Ski picked up Mastercraft, it meant a buyer could go to a specialized tow-boat dealer to look/test.

My initial post was one of bewilderment. According to Sun & Ski, they were one of the top Malibu sellers last year. Why the change? Sure a bit of competition is nice, but you don't need 5 guys to ensure competition. There's more to the story here.

Having heard that Malibu Corp may be selling, their focus is sales.... not service. The best way to ensure an increase in sales in the SHORT term, is to add many new dealers. Doesn't mean you will get good service..... but the more salespeople you have in showrooms, the more boats you'll likely sell. In the meantime, these 5 close dealers (salespeople) will be cutting their margins to the bone as buyers play one dealer against the other. Sure, you might get a cheaper boat......, but they'll have to make p for the loss of profit somehow. Either higher priced service, less didicated staff, or other things that hurt customer sat.

So, if a big company is planning on buyig Malibu Corp, wouldn't it be nice to brag about al the new dealers that are going to flood the mrket with more and more sales.

My question was: Is this a Canada only situation, or is this just a peek of things to come elsewhere in the US?

And again, Sun & Ski earned my service loyalty. They keep my business, as long as they keep their great service ethic.

Regardless, the story is not over.

I was at Wakestock too and noticed as well that Sun and Ski was not on Team Malibu Ontario.

I have never used sun and ski, but have only heard good things.

If you have dealt with them in the past there is no reason to go elsewhere, especially that now all boats have chev motors and both mastercraft and malibu use merc and indmar's so they will know how to work on both easily. however when you want a new boat you will have to go elsewhere. For the new boat buyer its a great move forward. I found dealing with pride of muskoka even though they have 3 outlets - were horrible. But if you call them up inquiring about a new boat they fantastic to deal with (some employee's excluded)...

Pride has a staranglehold on nautique and I don't think its a good thing for customer service. If Sun & Ski is better at support than Pride than that is great, but they could get sold or go to the dumps as well...

I agree that its great to have a dealer who only deals with inboards, but there aren't too many out there that can survive on just ski boats in Ontario. The market isn't big enough IMO. Sun and ski knows what they are good at and have developed a good clientelle of inboard boat owners. That will not go away and I would suspect they will steal a great number of malibu customers in the future, if not already. If they are as good as everyone sells it would be hard not to look at what they offer. Mastercraft makes a good boat too!

By adding 6 dealers there will be more places to find parts, more places to take your boat which should increase customer service for malibu owners, and raise the bar for repairs, but probably not costs too much. Malibu would be stupid not to implement a price guideline. I don't know what kind of deal they all have with malibu, but I would guess its equal among all dealers. It may take time for these dealerships to get into inboards and I am willing to bet that there will be a number of jobs out there for people that can sell and work on inboards!!!

I had a hell of a time finding a good dealer to service my nautique and have ended up taking it to a marina that does not sell inboards, never has to my knowledge but is excellent at working on boats period and proved they know how to work on my pretty simple comp ski boat. They specialize in repairs and hopefully the new malibu dealers will raise the bar for inboard boat customer service and repairs, not only sales.

This deal must have had something to do with wakestock. What a great promotion to have as a new malibu dealer.

on another note the fleet of bu's they had at wakestock was incredible, but I didn't see any response's there???

V drives are great, but there is a place for both on the lake. I hope these new dealers don't forget where inboards started gaining popularity and what is the basis for the business -> waterskiing!

There would be no malibu boats without waterskiing and these dealers I hope recognize that with competent direct drive knowledge and support as well as sales.

It is my understanding that "the 5 new dealers" are the same person or dealer principal. If that is true, which I believe it is, there will not be any $ to save on buying a new Malibu since it essentially is only "one guy" making the profits. What scares me a bit is when someone has so much overhead at so many different locations then that could equal even higher pricing. Don't get me wrong, I love to get a "great deal" but at what expense...dealers need to make a living too. Like I said earlier, I know this from experience. I just hate to see Sun and Ski "get shafted" just because Malibu is having a hissy fit after they (sun and ski) have done an amazing job for Malibu in Ontario and Canada for that matter. Wasn't it Sun and Ski that really got Wakestock going (obviously with the promoter) in the first place??

There was another thread about the sale of Malibu and it did not sell. There was restructuring and new investors appraently but, it did not sell.

I wouldn't blame any watersports boat company for not wanting their dealers to also sell the competition.

I am all for more dealers. I have three good dealers to choose from now, but my choices for drive are 2, 4, and 4 hours drive one way. They would not all have to be selling dealers but would be nice if there weremore authorized service and parts shops.

It is my understanding that "the 5 new dealers" are the same person or dealer principal. If that is true, which I believe it is, there will not be any $ to save on buying a new Malibu since it essentially is only "one guy" making the profits. What scares me a bit is when someone has so much overhead at so many different locations then that could equal even higher pricing. Don't get me wrong, I love to get a "great deal" but at what expense...dealers need to make a living too. Like I said earlier, I know this from experience. I just hate to see Sun and Ski "get shafted" just because Malibu is having a hissy fit after they (sun and ski) have done an amazing job for Malibu in Ontario and Canada for that matter. Wasn't it Sun and Ski that really got Wakestock going (obviously with the promoter) in the first place??

I don't think they are all owned by the same person. Some are definitely not owned by any of the other dealers.

I'm not going to jump on the sun and ski getting shafted idea just yet. If I was Sun & Ski I wouldn't want to be apart of 6 different dealers when they were used to being the only one.

However, mastercraft is sold by other dealers in Ontario, notably buckhorn marine that does a good job from what I hear.

I wouldn't hold sun and ski responsably for wakestock's founding, but their boats pulled the riders. Kudos to them for stepping up but lets move on.

all in all I still think this is good for malibu enthusiasts and inboard boat afficionados in general. I always find myself looking at inboards and I remember when I was the only one on my lake, now there has to be a dozen 10 years later...

Well my local dealer carries both Malibu and Mastercraft and has done so for several years w/o any major issues.

But not in the same shop, and under different shop "brands"

and not in Ontario...

Well my local dealer carries both Malibu and Mastercraft and has done so for several years w/o any major issues.

and not in Ontario...

There are pieces of the puzzle that we don't know! Sun and Ski is a awesome facility catering to the inboard market. Service is top notch.

I guess time will tell on how this will work out.

Once of the questions I posed is that how are these dealers going to handle these "upscale, niche" boats being that they normally sell princecraft, doral, and smokercraft and stuff.

Response wasn't really clear, but New Arc marine did drop MB Sports to pick up Malibu. Aparently they were delighted to be asked and dropped MB without any doubts.

hmm.....

time will tell.

I always found Sun and Ski's service to be top shelf as well. That was, until they took on Mastercraft. Since then (alittle over a year ago I think), I have found their customer service to be severely lacking... to the point where I won't be dealing with them anymore. I think they were just overwhelmed.

It certainly was fun at the boat show last year to ask the Malibu / Mastercraft reps to point out the pros/cons of their in-house, competing brand. It must make for some interesting company picnics.

I hope everyone is right about having more dealers to choose from. Like one post said time will tell. I will still have Sun and Ski do my service at least since I have had great luck with them. BUT I am certain I don't want to buy a new Mastercraft in the future. Well unless they go a make the best barefoot boat. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Three things:

First: Who said Malibu dropped Sun & Ski. Maybe it was the other way around. If I was Sun & Ski and they advised me they were adding 5 new dealers within spittin' distance of my store, after I had supported Wakestock tc etc etc..... maybe it was Sun & Ski that told Malibu to take a hike.

Second: I posted this thread to find out if this was just happening in Canada (Ontario).... or was this the tip of a new iceburg whereby Malibu Corp was starting a mega-dealer expansion everywhere. Are you US (and other global folks) seeing dealer expansion going on?

Three: Maybe it takes 5 dealers to pick up the slack for the great job Sun & Ski was doing?

Edited by doughickey

Originially they we're sold under the same name, but yes always in different buildings. It was funny that Malibu had the horrible location (i.e. difficult to get to and no freeway exposure) but they sold more than the Mastcraft shop.... Tongue.gif

Sun and Ski used to have two locations as well, but I believe they are only out of the one now.... maybe that has something to do with it, I loved the idea since you could cross shop both in one spot...

Easy for comparision purposes!

proline and the other dealerships are in fact all owned by the same person (roland) so i don't beleive there will be any price competition between dealerships.

malibu did drop sun and ski.

sun and ski is a great dealership, does what they say and very straightforward, no games, easy to respect. i hope things work out in the end. i am surprised at the way that malibu has treated them after 13 years of business together. they are a heck of a lot better to deal with than other dealerships in the muskoka area. i have no experience with any of the proline dealerships, so i cannot comment on them.

wonder if they need anybody to help sell this new line in those dealerships? I've often thought about boat sales as a career move...