Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which trans and v-drive?

7lazy77

Sorry for the stupid questions ahead of time, but I am getting ready to change the crankcase, trans & v-drive oil on my boat (2013 VLX w/350 monsoon).  Since this is my first time taking on this task myself & I want to be extra careful that I am doing it correctly & with the correct amounts of fluids.....because the manual is a little confusing.  The engine oil is self explanatory (5.5 quarts of 15w-40 Pennzoil Marine), but not quite sure on the trans & v-drive.  I posted a couple of pictures of the manual & my transmission.

Do I have the ZF V-drive, Walters V-drive or the ZF Hurth/Ski-Vee?

Is the top red dipstick handle in the 2nd picture the v-drive & the bottom red dipstick handle for the transmission?

dc68544f-3b47-4f32-8eea-299f87e0b329_zps

IMG_0249_zps1fysypvg.jpg

IMG_0231_zpshsdvbnye.jpg

IMG_0235_zpsard5rnv5.jpg

Same Hurth as mine with ATF inside. Makes it easy as both the trans (top) and the VD (bottom) take Dex/Merc. I use the store brand ATF from Autozone and change them both at the end of the season, but any store brand will do. The gallon jug will get both done. I am running the 15-40W oil with the NAPA 1060 (long) filter and it takes almost 3/4 of a quart of oil to pre fill the filter. The remote oil filter mount makes it crazy easy to change the filter. The 2 brass heads you see on the back of the VD are the anodes to ward off galvanic corrosion. I haven't had the patience to pull them to check and or replace as you have to pull the floor with and empty full tank. Slide the tank forward enough to screw out the @1 3/4" long anodes to reinstall the new ones.

IMG_0302.JPG

Edited by wdr

Looking back through the manual you posted, it appears you Hurth is calling for 15-40. Pull the dipstick and if it is pink it is ATF, if not it is going to be the 15-40. Odd that Hurth would change to an oil with what appears to be the same unit and final drive ratio as mine. What I find that is particularly odd is the "4.2 qt, VD capacity" I got to call BS on that as I can barely get over a quart in mine before it is over the ideal dip stick mark. The book looks like a big time misprint, bicbw. Safest bet is to drain it, find out what the fluid really is and use the dipstick to refill it not the book answer which appears to be grossly wrong in all accounts!

Edited by wdr

wdr...thanks for the help, very helpful!  I was unaware that the two brass heads were anodes.  When I winterized, I took them out to drain the water out.  They were a pain to get out without moving the fuel tank, but I got it done.  So if it calling for the 15-40, do I have the ZF V-Drive & Reduction Gears & NOT the ZF Hurth Transmission?  Still a little confused on exactly what I have?  If I remember correctly, both trans & v-drive fluids were pink when I checked the dipsticks today....but I will double check though.  I have an oil extractor, so I will pump out as much as I can from each & replace with the same exact amount.  Oh, by the way....I like your style with the white malibu in your avatar!  Here is mine....

IMG_20160612_131518001_zpsamghs9ic.jpg

We both have the Hurth trans and the Hurth VD. Pink and pink is going to be ATF DEX/MERC for both. If you look at my pic you will see the red metallic "ATF ONLY" plates on both the trans and the VD (left side) and the red/yellow Penzoil sticker (on the right side of the VD) with the DEX/MERC recommendation. It must have been a typo for the manuals as you will be hard pressed to get 2 quarts of anything into the VD before it overflows. Regardless of what they are being called, go ATF for both because that is what is in both. Thanks for the compliment. It is a combination of ebony, moonbeam, white and graphite for the lower back half and transom.

1 hour ago, wdr said:

We both have the Hurth trans and the Hurth VD. Pink and pink is going to be ATF DEX/MERC for both. If you look at my pic you will see the red metallic "ATF ONLY" plates on both the trans and the VD (left side) and the red/yellow Penzoil sticker (on the right side of the VD) with the DEX/MERC recommendation. It must have been a typo for the manuals as you will be hard pressed to get 2 quarts of anything into the VD before it overflows. Regardless of what they are being called, go ATF for both because that is what is in both. Thanks for the compliment. It is a combination of ebony, moonbeam, white and graphite for the lower back half and transom.

I saw a post about 1 and 3/4 quart capacity, did the 2 from manual and had to suck out the quarter, should have trusted the forum post, he must not have the ATF stickers and Autozone carries the recommendation pennzoil dex merc

Edited by granddaddy55
Just now, granddaddy55 said:

I saw a post about 1 and 3/4 quart capacity, did the 2 from manual and had to suck out the quarter, should have trusted the forum post, he must not have the ATF stickers

Nope, they come off pretty easy, especially if your mechanic is slinging ATF everywhere when it gets serviced. As you may be able to tell I am kind of OCD when I service my boat. Even at 690 hours my bilge is pretty clean.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, wdr said:

Same Hurth as mine with ATF inside. Makes it easy as both the trans (top) and the VD (bottom) take Dex/Merc. I use the store brand ATF from Autozone and change them both at the end of the season, but any store brand will do. The gallon jug will get both done. I am running the 15-40W oil with the NAPA 1060 (long) filter and it takes almost 3/4 of a quart of oil to pre fill the filter. The remote oil filter mount makes it crazy easy to change the filter. The 2 brass heads you see on the back of the VD are the anodes to ward off galvanic corrosion. I haven't had the patience to pull them to check and or replace as you have to pull the floor with and empty full tank. Slide the tank forward enough to screw out the @1 3/4" long anodes to reinstall the new ones.

IMG_0302.JPG

What is the 3rd ballast pump filling? Is that for your pnp separate from hard tank?

Yep, separate bag above the rear hard tank. The aerator on the right with 3/4" line is left over from my first attempt to use that style pump for my surfside rear locker 1100. Needless to say I could time the fill times with a calendar. The left through hull with 1" line is new pick up for the rear reversible I used to replace that aerator pump. You can see the Johnson pump in the top right corner of the pic. I just left the aerator pump in place and use it to augment the reversible for the 1100 for fill only now. I also plumbed in a reversible up front for my bow 750.

Double-checked the trans & v-drive oil & both are red.  Not sure if this makes any difference, but the trans oil was a lighter colored red than the v-drive oil was??  Had Napa cross reference the PZ52 recommended oil filter & they came back with a Napa 1069.  Looked at every store & auto parts place in town & can't find any Pennzoil Dex/Merc ATF nor 15-40 marine oil.  There was plenty of other options for ATF so will another brand work just as good?  Does it have to be "marine" oil, or can it be straight 15-40.  Any other specific brands more popular being used in the Inmar motor?  Does it matter if it is synthetic or not?

9 hours ago, 7lazy77 said:

Double-checked the trans & v-drive oil & both are red.  Not sure if this makes any difference, but the trans oil was a lighter colored red than the v-drive oil was??  Had Napa cross reference the PZ52 recommended oil filter & they came back with a Napa 1069.  Looked at every store & auto parts place in town & can't find any Pennzoil Dex/Merc ATF nor 15-40 marine oil.  There was plenty of other options for ATF so will another brand work just as good?  Does it have to be "marine" oil, or can it be straight 15-40.  Any other specific brands more popular being used in the Inmar motor?  Does it matter if it is synthetic or not?

Just look for dextron III compatible ATF. Any auto store will have it. 

Atf: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Dexron-Mercon-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/15125788

For oil use this or the synthetic equivalent available at any store or wal mart. It's good oil and I have run it for years in boats and motorcycles. : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T-15W-40-Heavy-Duty-Diesel-Oil-1-gal./14958327

The difference in red might be that one was serviced sooner or more often that the other one, unless of course you have water intrusion which would lighten the color of the fluid but that would be real noticeable. The NAPA filter according the "NAPA guy" I talked to said that "the 1069 was being replaced by the 1060". I have used both, both have the same OD and mating face, the 1060 (I am using it now) is just the longer version is all. If you have the room I would go with the 1060 for more filter surface. IMO, ATF is probably like brake fluid and radiator fluid. There are probably only X amount of manufacturers for the stuff in the world so the only difference will be the labels on the containers. I normally just buy my DEX/MERC where I buy my oil at Wally World. IMO oil is like wax, the best one is the one you use often or regularly in this case. I have been running the 15-40W, Shell Rotella T and have had no issues or unusual oil consumption. I can only remember a handful of times over the last 7 years that I have actually had to add oil between the 50 hour changes and that is for 90% surfing usage. I am religious about maintenance! IME/IMO synthetic oil is good piece of mind but, a waste of money given a regular oil change intervals and normal operating conditions. You can get people to argue that point all day. Bottom line change the oil as required.